Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-25-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
Lately I've been getting "tennis elbow" after and sometimes during riding. Anyone else get this? How have you been able to make it go away? Is there even a cure for it, IT SUCKS ASS!
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-25-2006, 9:15 AM Reply   
Yep, I used to always get it when I did lots of indy tantrums or OHHs.

I couldn't fix it, I just had to work on not completely stretching my arm/elbow when doing tricks. Now I do tantrums with my arm at about 130º, rather than straight (180). Same with the OHH and Hoochies. Just try not to completly extend your elbow.

Good luck, and yes it sucks and hurts a lot.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-25-2006, 9:15 AM Reply   
That's interesting. Mine's killing me, but I thought it was because of playing flag football. Wonder if it's wake related instead.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-25-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
Yeah I've been doing some other work around the house, building, gardening, etc, and its killing me. I hate it. I feel like a wuss.
Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-25-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
I used to have a huge issue with tennis elbow myself. To the point where it would keep me up at night and drive me nutz during the day. Two consecutive Cordozone shots did the trick. It's been gone now for over a year. Hope this helps. There is also a simple surgery if the shots don't work.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       04-25-2006, 9:40 AM Reply   
Whats up BBR!! I get it bad come mid summer!! IT SUCKS!!! I got this thing at Big 5 that helped. It goes around your arm just above your elbow. Also use Icy Hot on it, IT HELPS OUT A LOT!!! Good Luck bro!!!
Old     (jeff_altman)      Join Date: May 2002       04-25-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
Brandon, your a wuss. jk dude. I use to get it all the time when doing tantrums. I would use a velcor wrap around my forearm and that would tame it down a bit. Good riding with you this weekend, we will have to do it again soon.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       04-25-2006, 10:03 AM Reply   
I had pretty bad tennis elbow last year, but that's because I was playing tennis 3 times a week. Here's a pretty good resource for a self rehab program. Unfortunately, to heal you have to give the injured joint some rest.

http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/tennis_elbow/

Here is the best product I've found to help with TE. It restricts the tendon which is becoming inflamed by overuse. This one has a rigid bar in it that makes it different than the typical restrictor type you get at the drugstore.

https://secure.cho-pat.com/products/product.php?product_type=2

Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-25-2006, 10:49 AM Reply   
BG-- when do you think that you'll be down this way for "work"?

Jeff--Yeah man, great seeing you guys again. You'll have to come up more this year.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-25-2006, 10:58 AM Reply   
I've had it a few times because of MX. One time it finally healed because I was off the bike for 6 months from a shattered ankle. The last time I had it for a couple of months and I told my chiro about it. He suggested a massage technique that would aid in the healing of the muscle tissue. I figured it was worth a try but didn't hope for much. After about four painful treatments over the course of a month it was gone. I still can't believe it, but it worked. I don't believe that chiro can heal everything, but it worked in this case...........
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-25-2006, 11:26 AM Reply   
So Brandon, when I start trying switch mobes am I gonna get tennis elbow too? You SOB. I thought that was why you had that 5 foot section of Poly E in your line?
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-25-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
Used to have it and the doctor said to try Glucosamine. 2000mg a day. He said it didn't work for everyone and they're not sure why, but after taking it for 6 weeks, you should see some improvement. If nothing has changed, then it's not working for you. The cheapest place to buy it is Costco, Sams Club, etc.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-25-2006, 11:58 AM Reply   
I get it bad, and it is especially aggravated by landing with only your lead hand on the handle. I try to put most of the pressure on my back hand when cruising/resting and deep water starts. You can also try to do more tricks where you land switch, but basically it sucks. We also call it "tantrum elbow" at my lake.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-25-2006, 1:09 PM Reply   
Yeah, it sucks. I get it sometimes too. I did not have it for about a year and I played golf in a tournament two weeks ago and now its back. Usually time off and anti-inflames work. I think I am going to try the cortisone shot if it does not clear up within a few weeks.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-25-2006, 2:33 PM Reply   
Second the ICY/HOT! I used to have the same elbow issue and it really helped.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-25-2006, 2:58 PM Reply   
Heavy, yeah that is why I have a 10' section of poly. I guess that I'm getting old or something. Let me know more about Saturday.
Old     (heem)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-25-2006, 3:55 PM Reply   
Have currently had it since late July of 05. Had it injected twice with steroids and continual anti inflammatories. The doc says that PT is next. This was from installing a frech drain in the yard noy h2o fun.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-25-2006, 4:10 PM Reply   
Oh I get it real bad. Hurts so much, especially if I've taken a short break from riding. Then I found just going to the gym and keep your arms a little stronger than they need to be helps a whole lot.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-25-2006, 5:05 PM Reply   
I was trying to land 3's and the handle kept popping out of my hand. That arm was sore for months. I guess winter = rehab.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-25-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
Sometimes if your bicep swells and tightens, it can pull and place pressure on your elbow the same way your knees can hurt when your legs tighten.

Try doing some bicep stretches before and after you ride. Also try doing some triceps excercises for some balance.

Old     (thedocta)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-25-2006, 6:26 PM Reply   
I actually use too play tennis 6 days a week till I quit to wakeboard so I've battled real tennis elbow and tennis elbow from wakeboarding a few times. Both suck as$! My doctor said its basically tendonitis (sp?) and never goes away jus flares up worse at times. Stretch, heat, and advil before then ice after.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       04-26-2006, 7:55 AM Reply   
I had it a couple of summers ago from landing with my arm out really straight/extended. I just try not to do that anymore, and it doesn't hurt so long as I keep my arm a little bent and not just straight out all the time.