Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-12-2005, 9:44 AM Reply   
First of all I just want to thank Jimmy Harville, Todd Nicol, Nelson and Richie McKee at Texas Mastercraft for giving me the opportunity to come and drive and ride behind the new X2 on Friday. From what I understand this is the only production X2 in existance right now so it was a pretty cool deal to be on a boat not very many people in the US have been on.

Anyway......here's my thoughts:

1) This boat feels so much larger inside then my X2 (to be the X1). It is much wider and deeper inside. I can fit 6-7 comfortably in mine and I would think you could put 1-2 more in the new one without a problem.

2) There is a ton of storage in this boat. The passenger side has a clamshell design and that compartment is HUGE. You could easily put a board, surfboard, whatever in it.

3) The new dash is pretty well designed. I like the fact that MC has taken the "Pod" design on the XStar and molded it into the dash a little instead of mounting it on top of it. There are now gauges for each of the 3 ballas tanks which is really nice. All of the switches are metal toggles with a red LED on the top instead of the old plastic.

4) MC installed a place to put your own cooler underneath the passenger side cushions and even included cut outs for your hands to grab the handles. I'm not sure how big a cooler it'll hold but it looked to be a pretty big cubbyhole.

5) MC has taken a big chance on the graphics this year for their X-Series line. I don't think you can appreciate how clean it looks in person. I'm not a fan of all the tribal art, etc and this is a big departure. I think it'll be a love it or hate it look.

6) The picklefork nose is really nice. It is so much bigger then a normal nosed boat. The only drawback is that with a 21' boat I couldn't extend my legs out straight if I was pointed directly back at the rider (I'm 6'0").

7) The boat with the 350hp, even with stock ballast full and 5 people got out of the hole in a hurry. I'm not sure the propping on it but it really got up to speed quickly.

The wake appeared to be really good. I couldn't ride behind it as I'm recovering from an ACL reconstruction but 2 good riding buddy's rode a set behind it so they can tell you more but with only the stock ballast (950#) the wake appeared to be very similar to the X1 in shape but a little bit wider. To me it looked like a scaled down version of the XStar but with a little harder lip. I'd have loved to put an additional 500# on each side of the engine and 500# in the nose and see what it would look like - we all agreed it would have been great.

All in all I think the boat has some major improvements over my version of the X2 and is going to be a great boat.

The only negative things I could say are that loading the picklefork on the trailer is very difficult. You don't realize how much you use the boat nose as a guide to hit the Boat Buddy but the picklefork gives you no reference. It took me several tries although I was nervous since it's the only one in existance.

The other "negative" was the electronic throttle vs. the actual cable on mine. I drove the '05 X2 at a tourney last year and had no problem with it. The speed calibration was all off on this boat so we ended up having to ride at 16-17 MPH and I "hand drove" it with no PP. I like having a little feedback about the speed and found myself jumping up and down 1mph or so pretty easily.

All in all though a great improvement over my version of the boat. Hopefully I can get someone to buy mine so that I can get my deposit in on this one!

Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-12-2005, 10:52 AM Reply   
thanks for the info Zach. It looks like a beauty ! I like the color/non graphics more then any other boat I've seen. Makes me want one !
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-12-2005, 10:56 AM Reply   
Nice Zack, thanks for the great pics. The dash looks a little plain with the toggle switches. Reminds me of the Tige switch series dash...which at the time I thought looked cheap. Did anyone happen to mention price?

Eric
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-12-2005, 11:17 AM Reply   
Thanks Zach.

Its a great looking boat.

The graphics don't bother me.

The wake looks small in the photos but thats probably just the lack of ballast.

Are the bow seats optionally rear facing? That would be a plus.

I don't dig loosing the easy access to behind the observer seat for dry items (snacks) during the day while underway, but at least its not a to-the-floor clamshell.

The added cabin room is a huge plus. I prefer more room there for less room in the bow.

The dash does little for me. I prefer the current X2 "clean, sleak and functional" dash.

MC would be much better off calling both this boat and the current XSTAR by the XSTAR name -- not sure what there marketing idea is here with the X1/X2/XSTAR progression.

And, the jury is still out on the wake. Will the X1 continue to produce the best MC wake?
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-12-2005, 4:08 PM Reply   
That is a sick boat! The hull looks like a mix between the current x-2 and the x-star.
Old     (jiujitsuabs)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-12-2005, 4:09 PM Reply   
I saw the boat at the Texas Wakeboard Tour Stop in Fort Worth this weekend. Great looking boat. They had it parked next to the X-45, and yet it still looked like a pretty big boat. Graphics look a lot better in person.
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-12-2005, 6:13 PM Reply   
Nice review and thanks for the pics. Finally, somebody who demos a brand new boat and remembers to take their camera...

That is a nice looking boat. I like the clean and simple graphics. The dash will have to grow on me. What's up with the toggles? There do not appear to be any labels on them. Do you just keep fliping the switches until you find the one you are looking for?

That cooler idea is one of the best ideas yet on any of the new boats. How deep was the storage for the cooler?

Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-12-2005, 6:37 PM Reply   
The Moomba XLV came up with the drop in cooler idea for their 2004 model year. It locks in a 36qt. cooler with cut outs for the handles. Along with an in floor cooler! Gotta have plenty of space for all the chilled items for the crew and all the ladies.....
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-12-2005, 6:41 PM Reply   
looks very good. Get some carpet in that thing!
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-12-2005, 7:34 PM Reply   
Zack,

I have heard that carpet is an option on the '06 X2. Do you know how much that option is and if TXMC is going to order most of their boats with or without the carpet? I can definately see pluses and minuses both ways. The carpet looks much better but the cleanup is much easier without. Thanks.

Andrew
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-12-2005, 8:03 PM Reply   
Awesome....Someone slam that thing down and give some feedback.

Did it have PP or the MC speed control system? Sounds like there were some calibration issues. I have an 05 with Throttle by wire and the MC system. It works perfectly.
Old    mendo247            09-12-2005, 8:24 PM Reply   
gots to get some carpet!! that stuff would ruin my fresh peticure!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-12-2005, 9:01 PM Reply   
hard to believe carpet is a option on that boat. I know it is snap-in like the Xstar.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-12-2005, 10:32 PM Reply   
it is snap in, standard.

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-12-2005, 10:33 PM Reply   
i should also say im happy to see the wake doesnt look as rampy as the xstar.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-12-2005, 10:59 PM Reply   
Yes, it does not look too rampy. We need to see it sacked!

...still thinking that this could be my next boat!
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-13-2005, 12:50 AM Reply   
Its cool to see the boat on the trailer...

See how the hull is notched out for the length of the boat -- it really looks like they are trying to put a wide boat on top of a narrow boat.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-13-2005, 3:31 AM Reply   
Not a MC guy, but I really like the clean look!!
I even dig the dash, only the toggle switches are a bit out dated imho. I like the nice soft buttons of a CC more.
The clamshell looks massive and some parts of the parts looks well thought!

Not impressed about the wake this far, but lets wait for more wake pics.

Thanks for the review!
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-13-2005, 8:35 AM Reply   
Anybody have any pricing information yet?
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-13-2005, 8:37 AM Reply   
As for putting the boat on the trailer, I found that I put the nose between the uprights and let the boat settle on the bunks. Once it is centered I power up onto the trailer slowly. I would think that by doing the same thing you'd have no issue with this boat. You don't really need to see the bow stop anyway. Most people have someone else helping with the load anyhow, right?
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-13-2005, 9:55 AM Reply   
eric I got one loaded for 51k minus trailer del . dat oct 10
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-13-2005, 11:45 AM Reply   
51k!? that is extremely reasonable for a mc.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-13-2005, 1:16 PM Reply   
Yikes...that seems steep to me. I would have thought mid 40's + trailer.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-13-2005, 1:23 PM Reply   
in the words of Wanyne and Garf ...::SHA WING::...
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-13-2005, 1:27 PM Reply   
51k loaded less trailer seems pretty reasonable to me considering an 06 x10's base msrp is 56k and the 06 star is pushing 70 in stripped form.
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-13-2005, 6:17 PM Reply   
I didnt get the sub and amp because I want to do my own and no transom remote . It has the big motor heater pop up cleats fiberglass swim step stereo remote removeable carpet perfect pass swivel racks and I thought it was very reasonable My X 9 with a northstar was that much 3 years ago
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-14-2005, 6:31 AM Reply   
True enough, but unless you have a size issue (20ft or less on my lake) you could load up an X-1 which has a great (tested) wake. Not knocking your decision at all Joe, I really would like the X2 myself. I had just heard rumors of mid 40's nicely equiped. BTW why are trailers extra? I don't know a whole lot of people who don't need a trailer at all. Besides, you're talking an extra 4K for a nice tandem right?

Eric
Old     (bigjackamo)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-14-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
Zack, thanks for the review. It is really cool to see all the things we want to know about a new boat when it is released, rather than wait till next summer like 90% of us.

I like the new color scheme. It reminds me alot of the color schemes used on off shore boats where they have the race number on the back. I think it looks pretty cool.
Old    rjcarson            09-14-2005, 2:20 PM Reply   
The dash is a prototype dash. The standard dash is the same billet Aluminum used in 05 but with laser etched labels. They are laser etched into black accents to give it better readability against the aluminum then last year. Looks great.

Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-14-2005, 2:36 PM Reply   
Excellent news! The dash pictured above is the only non-beautiful thing about this boat. A billet aluminum like the 05 will be great!
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-14-2005, 5:13 PM Reply   
eric The stock or master craft trailer was valued at 3k I am having Extreme build me a triple like the one in my profile picture of my X9 .You can buy a x1 for a smokin deal right now 41 to 43 on a trailer even if you ad a few xtras your going to be way under 50k I ordered it all turn bouy orange with no graphics and will have it custom painted .
Old     (sadcaper)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-14-2005, 6:05 PM Reply   
I just got a X2 priced out at $58k out the door with the following options:

-MCX Engine
-Heater
-Fiberglass swim platform
-Swivel board racks
-Stereo remote
-Single axle trailer
-Basic cover
-Tower mirror
-Depth finder

Overall, I thought it was a bit spendy. I would like to have been in the low $50s, but I dunno. Plus, I would still want the tower speakers and lights!!! A bit too much in my book.

Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-14-2005, 7:33 PM Reply   
I also got the tower mirror depth finder upgraded cover and a factory bimini top .
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-14-2005, 8:48 PM Reply   
Joe,

Why the triple axle for a relatively small boat? I have never seen a triple on anything less than the X-80.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-14-2005, 9:05 PM Reply   
That's expensive. Not much more than my 05 loaded x2 listed for though. When they have a bunch on the lot you can do much better on the price. Anyone who buys one at that price will probably loose 10k in the first 24 months of ownership.

(Message edited by jarrod on September 14, 2005)
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-14-2005, 9:24 PM Reply   
Andrew No real reason I just think they look good . A triple pulls real nice but its not needed on a 20 footer thats for sure .
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-15-2005, 7:11 AM Reply   
I would think a tandem would be the minimum you would want. By the time you load the boat up with stuff, it's a lot to handle. 58+ OTD with very few options...Joe, you got a pretty good deal from the sounds of things. When is delivery? Problem here in Ohio is by the time it's delivered it would go into the garage for the season. I think my plan is to wait a bit and see how they perform in the real world.

Eric
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-15-2005, 8:06 AM Reply   
Eric delivery is the first week of October . I hope to get it wet before it gets too cold , By the time the trailer is done it will be the third or fourth week of October , Extreme needs the boat because its a new hull . Worst case we will hit it early 06 . Joe
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-15-2005, 9:31 AM Reply   
good move going with extreme. i don't think there is anyone else making that quality of trailer. the oem mc ones are garbage in comparision to extreme. they build it right the first time.

there is a huge article on extreme in the sept 05 hot boat magazine. as a matter of fact, they began building trailers for tige and malibu before getting into the performance boating industry to which theyare most closely identified with.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-15-2005, 10:20 AM Reply   
Thx for pics and review.

From the official X2 press release:

“…introduced a completely new X-Star, with the unique pickle-fork look and a wake the size of which nobody had ever ridden.”

Is the wake “size of which” supposed to refer to the biggest wake ever ridden? The DUs may be, and the wake might have been the biggest anybody had ever ridden ... horizontally that is, with the loooong transition. It certainly isn’t my preferred wake and I am hoping that the X2’s will be much steeper than the X-Star's...

Yes we need some weighted pics -- and a pull behind a weighted boat. I guess these should start showing up at dealers in larger quantities soon?
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-15-2005, 3:43 PM Reply   
joe, look forward to seeing the boat when it comes in... did you get that vest yet how did it work out? -norm
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-15-2005, 3:59 PM Reply   
Norm I got the vest Trevor says thanx its killer . When the boat gets here well have to get togehter for a session or two . Joe
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-15-2005, 4:04 PM Reply   
Freeboozeforall i have owned a few trailers and the Extreme is my favorite.Joe
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-16-2005, 12:19 PM Reply   
ill definitely take you up on that one!
Old     (jjared)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-17-2005, 10:12 PM Reply   
That boat is not the production boat if I'm not mistaken. The dash is going to be billet and you really need to look at something like the 06 X-Star to see what it will look like. So there's a lot of fit/finish stuff that will be different on the production models.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-17-2005, 10:27 PM Reply   
i am still amazed that dane is considering a clamshell!
Old     (masteritaly)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-18-2005, 3:40 AM Reply   
what do you think?!?!?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-18-2005, 7:49 AM Reply   
pierre, make the X2 graphic in dark grey, and it would look sweet
Old     (bennettag10)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-18-2005, 11:59 AM Reply   
pierre, where did you go to do the design a boat thing, cause mastercraft.com still shows the the 2005 models
Old     (masteritaly)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-18-2005, 12:28 PM Reply   
brett,is the configurator for dealer, if you go
to mc dealer you can print one
Old    ryan_bailey            09-18-2005, 1:02 PM Reply   
Post a link for the configurator please.
Old     (masteritaly)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-18-2005, 1:51 PM Reply   
ryan,at now configurator is only for dealer,
I hope will be avaible for customer in few time
Old     (robie)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-19-2005, 1:55 PM Reply   
Zack,

Just wanted to add on to your comments about TMC.

The guys at Texas MasterCraft are great. They have taken very good care of my on my first boat purchase. Nelson gave me his cell number to answer any question anytime; unfortunately I had to use it on his day off. But he answered my dumb question and said not to worry about it. Stand up group of guys.

When it comes time for me to upgrade I wouldn't go anywhere else.

(Message edited by robie on September 19, 2005)
Old     (mcx2ryd)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-19-2005, 5:24 PM Reply   
I'm sold... Just ordered and paid for mine today. Cannot wait now till spring... WOW.. Can't beleive how expensive "MC by Design" stuff is though. Crazy. $2400 Cdn for all speaker covers! Yikes. Boat ran me $64,500 CDN. It is loaded besides lights, shower, transom remote, and bimini. It will be well worth it next summer. Yee haw}
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-19-2005, 6:28 PM Reply   
how much is $64,500 in US dollars?
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-19-2005, 6:48 PM Reply   
who knows... way too much
Old    sevenseven            09-19-2005, 11:03 PM Reply   
that thing is sooooooooooooo ugly
Old     (jiujitsuabs)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-20-2005, 7:52 AM Reply   
64,500.00 CAD Canada Dollars = 55,179.70 USD
United States Dollars
1 CAD = 0.855499 USD 1 USD = 1.16891 CAD
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-20-2005, 11:17 AM Reply   
hey brent, did you get a trailer with it?
Old     (mcx2ryd)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-20-2005, 2:18 PM Reply   
Yeah thats tandem trailer
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-12-2005, 7:43 AM Reply   
does anyone know the length of it with the toungue folded and the platform removed?
Old     (prostar19)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-27-2005, 8:40 AM Reply   
20'9" without the platform and the tounge folded

(Message edited by prostar19 on October 27, 2005)
Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-27-2005, 1:50 PM Reply   
Marc, you are entitled to your opinion, but you are wrong!ha
Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-27-2005, 1:50 PM Reply   
Marc, you are entitled to your opinion even if it is way off base.