Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-17-2013, 11:46 AM Reply   
How r ppl buying boats that r 2002 with only 200 hours?? So in 11 yrs they only put on 200 hours?? Don't make sense? Is there something ppl do to stop it from reading? Last season we put 131 hours on our bout. Got a new 13 this year and got 21 hours already ( we live in Wisconsin) so still cold out!
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-17-2013, 12:01 PM Reply   
LOL - some people just don't really put hours on a boat. Even if it gets used occasionally during the season they may just be going out to a cove and hanging out. My first boat (Sanger) was 8 or 9 years old, had 2 previous owners, and had about 180 or so hours...and looked like it was still on the showroom floor.

Not sure if you are bragging or not here regarding your own use...Some people have different priorities even if they do own a boat.

Go on ebay and look at 5-10 year old ferrari's with 1200 miles on them...
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-17-2013, 12:05 PM Reply   
Not bragging. Just didn't understand. My last boat had like 1500 hours on it. Just wondering.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-17-2013, 12:11 PM Reply   
i bought a 95 last winter with 550 hours on it... last summer i put 60 hours on it.. it sits on a lift on our small private community lake... we pretty much only use it to board... we dont have restaraunts to visit or other places to go... i feel like i use it 3-4 times a week and we still only got 60 hours on it last year...
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-17-2013, 12:27 PM Reply   
I don't get out as much as some do but, even as much as I do, I was amazed at how few hours I put on my boat each summer. I used to rack up more hours but that was because the previous owner ran the power for the radio he installed through the ignition so you had to have the ignition on to float with tunes. Ignition on means the hour meter runs. Once I figured that out I ran the radio through an accessory switch. I wonder how many of my almost 600 hours are float time.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-17-2013, 12:33 PM Reply   
I have an 83 MC skier with 800 hours on it... that's less than 30/season. I'm the third owner.

I also have an 06 Supra with 580 hours... I guess it just depends what you do, what kind of lake you're on, etc. Nothing wrong with a well used boat that's been taken care of. It's almost a safer bet buying something with some more hours on it that has been maintained. Old boats with no hours on them can have rotting seals from a lack of lubrication..
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-17-2013, 12:41 PM Reply   
There's a 04 XStar on CL here locally with 91 Hrs. Someone had lots of money and no time to use it!
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...775693547.html
Old     (bjames)      Join Date: May 2012       05-17-2013, 12:42 PM Reply   
Probably selling becuase he doesnt use it. I know people who go buy a boat ans sits either on a lift or on the trailer for 95% of the time, years later they realize they doent use it.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-17-2013, 12:54 PM Reply   
Some people have more money than time. There's also the crowd who treat their boats like a bad stock purchase. Boats depreciate quickly whether you're using them or not. Buy a new boat for 80 and sell it 5 years later without hardly using it for 55 and it can seem like a huge waste of 25 thousand dollars. Keep it forever and you'll always have that 80K boat. You don't have to accept the loss until you sell it. How many old Glastrons have you seen rotting in someone's backyard because, as long as they don't try to sell it, they don't have to admit that it's not worth anything anymore?
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-17-2013, 2:06 PM Reply   
When I got my boat two and a half years ago it had only 462 hours, and it's an '89. So that's about 22 hours/yr prior to me. It's now at 620 hours. So in basically two seasons I've put 158 hours on it, a third of the use it had in the 21 years prior to me buying it. Light use compared to many here, but I don't live on the water, I'm busy with life in general, and it can be difficult to find a third early or late in the season. Though I've rode as late as November when the opportunity arises. My last boat was an '89 as well, a neat little I/O but I don't believe it had more than 600-700 hours, fairly light use.

Some relatives have a lake house I stay at for a few weeks every summer, they have a junker 4 banger I/O they keep in the water there for them and family to use,but they hardly use it. Bought new in '92, no hour meter but I'd be surprised if it's more than 30-40 hours a season. Nuts considering it's in the water ready to go any time. They are always complaining about cost of gas, even though they run cans to get cheaper gas in town. Yeah it's expensive, but when I'm staying on the lake in the summer I'm filling the 46 gallon tank about every other day for 2-3 weeks and I get it on the water because that's a ridiculous amount of time to spent running back and forth to town every day.

For many I guess life gets in the way or there are weekends nobody else can go out so the boats sit unused. I can't imagine dropping $80k+ on a new boat and not using it though. Different folks have different priorities I suppose, but I would think 50-100 hrs/yr is normal use, for people who actually use their boat.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-17-2013, 3:39 PM Reply   
When we bought ours in 2011 it was 10 years old. Purchased from the original owner who had a covered boat lift on the water at his main home...can't get any easier to use than that. 330 hours and a lot of that I think was from his son using the boat.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-17-2013, 7:36 PM Reply   
My father is a prime example. He bought a Four Winns 18 foot I/O about 10 years ago with like 150 hours on it. That boat now has like 190 hours on it and it sits on a lift 5 months out of the year ready for use. It got less than 2 hours all last summer. Yet he refuses to sell it. That boat I think is a 1990 with less than 200 hours. More common than you think especially up north.
Old     (ryty37)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-17-2013, 7:36 PM Reply   
Bought my 2004 supra launch last year with 88 hours. I can't understand why people buy boats and never use them but I'm glad that they do.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-17-2013, 8:30 PM Reply   
I put close to 50 hours on my boat in just under 3 years of ownership. But that was basically just riding hours.
We didn't sit in the cove and chill for hours while the music played. Not sure how newer boats are now, but my mid 90's boat registered hourly use whenever the battery was engaged. I can imagine that so many people that talk about putting multiple hundreds if hours on their boat per year, just sit in the cove listening to music.
Old     (pkh80)      Join Date: Oct 2012       05-17-2013, 9:07 PM Reply   
I think the "drove a bit then sat in a cove" is the exception to the rule, low hours = not using your boat.

People buy these boats with good intentions of using them but then they never do. Like timeshares, or exercise equipment.

We put on 3-4 hours per day we use our boat, so how people could average 30 hours a year is pretty pathetic IMO.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-17-2013, 9:15 PM Reply   
When I was looking in 09, the lower hours boats were neglected, or abused. The neglected boat had been moored and never used, but the ravages of time took their toll. The abused boat (ok that's prolly an overstatement) was low engine hours but LOTS of floatin' and partyin'. Ended up with a boat with more hours and more use inline with how I use a boat.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-17-2013, 9:21 PM Reply   
It just depends on how you use the boat. I don't think low hows makes anyone "pathetic". I put just over 50 hours on my boat last year in almost 50 days of use. Thats was in just over 3 months(50 of 90 days in the water!!) We have a cabin so if we are in the boat there is a rider behind it. We don't idle, we don't cruise, we don't sit and listen to music or anything else. I think if you are a trailer to the lake and spend the day in your boat kind of person you are going to put alot more hours on then a person like me who uses the boat from a lake home. 50 hours is pretty average here in Minnesota. You see a ton with less. Way more than are under 50/year than are over that.

Lot depends on where you live and how you use your boat.
Old     (steves1967)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-17-2013, 9:41 PM Reply   
When I sold my 05 Tige 22V in 07 it had 68 hours on it. Just didn't get to use it as much as we had planned... pregnant wife wouldn't ride in the boat and then once the baby came......well you get the picture
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-18-2013, 9:12 AM Reply   
Ha.. my friend found a 2002 SAN210 about a year and a half ago.. with 27 hours on it. No, that's not a typo. The thing looked like it had never been used.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-18-2013, 9:28 AM Reply   
What boats are these that are accumulating hours without running? You can leave the key on it mine all day long and the hour meter doesn't run unless the boat is running. I'd have a lot more hours on my boat if it counted hours whenever the key was on!
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-18-2013, 9:56 AM Reply   
Alot of older boats and less technology advanced boats work simply off power when the key is on. Most everything new works off the tach wire from the alternator or a computer. My 97 ran off the key. Pro Am skier, standard carb 265 merc inboard. That boat was about as simple as they come. Just shows you don't have to go very far back to get to ones that register hours whenever the key is on.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       05-18-2013, 11:31 AM Reply   
Picked up a 2006 Tige in 2011 with 13 hours on it. Only time it ever hit the water was when their grandchildren came to visit. I almost felt bad for buying it for what they were selling it for. Not a scratch or stain anywhere.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-18-2013, 1:47 PM Reply   
Our tige registers hours with the key turned. Back when it was new, I wouldn't let it run for a second unless we were in the process of pulling someone. Idling was unheard of.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-18-2013, 2:50 PM Reply   
We're about to get a 99 Malibu Sunsetter vlx with only 450 hours on it. I know that's not an incredibly low number, but compared to everything else we saw on craigslist, it was a newborn.
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-18-2013, 3:02 PM Reply   
even if the boat isn't being used much a paid-for boat is nice to have around vs. the prospect of buying another one later. that's especially true once you've installed stereo, ballast, etc. yes, the maintenance is either a pain or people fall behind but that's still better than however much for another boat.

it's easy to rack up hours when you ride and have friends that also ride with you. hitting the lake/river is what you usually have planned for after work and on the weekends. once the riding slows and there are no after work sessions the hours don't add up as fast. heading out to a spot to chill & swim with only short rides is very economical on gas and hours.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-19-2013, 10:47 AM Reply   
In 07 I picked up a 90 Sanger with 450 hours on it, now its got 878 and I ski four or five other Sangers and a Malibu regularly....oh yeah I did leave my key on once by accident and a fully charged battery will last about 160 hours running an hourmeter...so 160 hours of the 878 (at least) were just the key left on...who knows how much of the original 450 was just key left on?

I would not ever be afraid to buy a low hour older boat. I would just check it out.

It's extremely simple to disconnect an hourmeter so I never just trust the hourmeter...look at the condition....in real estate they say it's location location location...with boats it's condition condition condition.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       05-23-2013, 9:15 AM Reply   
I fully understand that this is a loaded question but at what point in terms of hours do most of you consider a boat to be on the downhill slide of an engines usable life? Assuming the oil and all fluid were changed regularly and other basic maintenance was done?
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-23-2013, 9:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene3x View Post
I fully understand that this is a loaded question but at what point in terms of hours do most of you consider a boat to be on the downhill slide of an engines usable life? Assuming the oil and all fluid were changed regularly and other basic maintenance was done?
For engine, 2000 hours. It's everything else you need to worry about before that.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-23-2013, 9:53 AM Reply   
I have always heard the 2000 mark also. Properly maintained 2000 shouldn't be a problem for the engine.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-23-2013, 1:32 PM Reply   
Im trying to sell my 2007 Tige RZ2 and it has 600 hours on it. When I tell people that they balk like they cant believe such a thing. It's called USING a boat!

I could never understand someone buying a boat and dropping tons of money in it to be hardly used.

Last edited by pierce_bronkite; 05-23-2013 at 1:35 PM.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       05-23-2013, 1:58 PM Reply   
Either people have become so conditioned by the dealerships that 500 hours is a bunch or people are just plain stupid.
Of course it doesn't hurt that there are a ton of nice boats that sit unused in storage.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       05-23-2013, 1:59 PM Reply   
I will take my $15000 discount for taking one with 1000 hours on it. Lol
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-23-2013, 2:07 PM Reply   
I bought my 2002 Sanger in 2006 with 455 hours on it. It was near spotless and has run like a charm. Love the boat and use it a lot. It's now at 865 hours.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-23-2013, 2:19 PM Reply   
A scan will tell tyou exactly how many hours are on a engine
Old     (brianl)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-23-2013, 3:32 PM Reply   
there are a lot of varied opinions here and I will give you another. the first year I had my VLX I snapped my leg and I only put 14 hours on it. The next year we put over a 100. This year we are having a baby and my wife is afraid to bounce on a boat with a baby in her belly. Does anyone have any experience with a prego wife on a boat? Not to change the subject...
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-23-2013, 3:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianl View Post
there are a lot of varied opinions here and I will give you another. the first year I had my VLX I snapped my leg and I only put 14 hours on it. The next year we put over a 100. This year we are having a baby and my wife is afraid to bounce on a boat with a baby in her belly. Does anyone have any experience with a prego wife on a boat? Not to change the subject...
Wife was on the boat from just after conception until around 6 months (only ended due to the season ending) - perfectly healthy kid and no issues. Kid will bounce around more from your wife walking around than just riding around in the boat. If she is paranoid about that she is probably not going to listen to us - have her talk to her doctor so he/she can give the okay.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-23-2013, 5:19 PM Reply   
Same here. Wife was on the boat with all 3. Also snowmobiled in the winter. No issues.
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-23-2013, 7:18 PM Reply   
My girl had our kid same day we were on a boat. And she is due in 3 weeks. And we put 30 hours on boat already this year. Kid will b fine.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-23-2013, 9:13 PM Reply   
I would prefer a used boat with 50-80 hrs a year - well maintained with service records, than one with very low hrs-hardly used. The regularly used one should be dialed in and all the kinks out. It's usually In those first 100 hrs where stuff happens.