Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-22-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
Just watched transgression finally. Randall's section was so sick.

And FINALLY someone nailed a soundtrack... incredible.
Hands down the best soundtrack of any video I have ever watched. that goes for all boardsport videos... skate, surf, snow and wake.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-22-2008, 4:38 PM Reply   
Riding wise, I really don't see how people enjoyed it. Besides Vandall and Lidberg, the riding was amature
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-22-2008, 4:40 PM Reply   
Sound track didn't do it for me. Usually I wait for boarding videos to give me good ideas of new stuff to listen to. I loved stuff of Butter effect, Bent felix, The Truth and Push process, but transgression and drive did nothing for me. In fact the first time I watched Transgression I literally fell asleep.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-22-2008, 4:41 PM Reply   
I also thought the sound track was sub par. Basically a sub par video from a sub par company
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-22-2008, 4:42 PM Reply   
ouch!
Old     (bigjokerinthebox66)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-22-2008, 4:48 PM Reply   
The Vandall's part was good, but the rest of the movie seemed like a blur. Sound track was descent.

I don't think you can compare this vid to The truth or Push process. Whole different league riding and corporate wise.
Old     (schrunk)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-22-2008, 5:35 PM Reply   
I disagree personally. If you are looking for straight baller riding then yes, more then likely you will like some other videos better. But for sheer production-quality, editing and cinematography I really think that this is one of the better videos for wakeboarding out there. Soundtrack is always a personal choice, I like the music in Transgression and the different vein it goes through, it complements the cinematography but probably not the energy and riding of the sport. Its also a 16mm film which was shot 80% in third world countries, just stop and realize what your actually looking at! Its incredible, but of course its a wake film and some people will want to see riding not scenery, again personal choice. There is a reason thou that Lidberg and Randalls parts got runner up and section of the year at the wake awards (not to mention subjectively helping push Randall to Rider of the year and Lidberg as Rail Master of the year, personal opinion)

You really cant argue that Transgression is a pretty progressive video for the sport, I mean it did win the X-dance film festival best cinematography award and nominated for best editing, core film and soundtrack. Its a pretty polarizing piece in the midst of wake films, but you cant ignore that it has taken wake-films to a different level.

Truth, push, and all the others are absolutely amazing films as well and each have their strengths. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to say its a sub par video from a sub par company is overlooking the intense amount of time and effort was put into the project and missing what the entire piece was about.

But hey im bias, just my two cents.

(Message edited by schrunk on July 22, 2008)
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-22-2008, 5:43 PM Reply   
Nicholas, that's what this board needs more of...opinions backed up by solid reasoning and analysis. I'm tired of the one line 'off the cuff remarks'. Your rationale has made me want to buy Transgression, so thanks.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-22-2008, 5:57 PM Reply   
I agree, well put nick. did it win best cinematography out of wake films or all films? either way that says a lot.
Old     (schrunk)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-22-2008, 6:42 PM Reply   
It did win best cinematography for all action sports films. http://www.x-dance.com/news/17/42
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-22-2008, 6:54 PM Reply   
Lidberg kills it
Harris Kills it
All the skaters kill it
Awesome travels and scenery
Awesome music
Perfectly pieced together
Perfectly Filmed

--->"Basically a sub par video from a sub par company" <---- until you ride better and make better videos I don't think you have much of a right
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-22-2008, 7:08 PM Reply   
Word dat
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-22-2008, 7:12 PM Reply   
Nick, I have more than enough reasons as to why I think Gator is sub par that I won't discuss to protect some of their old riders and my good friends respect and credibility. The video only won that award at X-dance because it obviously was voted on by non wakeboarders who don't know what good tricks and a good wake video look like. Perfectly filmed? Maybe perfect locations, but far from perfectly filmed
Old     (ben_miller_407)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-22-2008, 7:16 PM Reply   
Kyle, the wake industry would be a better place with out your stupid input. Thanks.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-22-2008, 7:22 PM Reply   
because you carry so much credibility Ben? are you offended by criticism of a wakeboarding video? is it any different that criticizing a main stream movie. I've been watching wake videos for about 12 years now and riding wise, this is one of the worst i've seen
Old     (ben_miller_407)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-22-2008, 7:26 PM Reply   
Well, in my opinion, the wake industry would be a better place with out your stupid input. Can't handle my opinion?
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-22-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
Transgression is the first video that i have ever bought that when i watched it for the first time, did not finish the video
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-22-2008, 7:29 PM Reply   
I can handle your opinion fine. It just seems that you cannot handle an honest opinion of the video. Someone work for gator?
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-22-2008, 7:33 PM Reply   
Kyle, you aren't like, representing a company or anything with your username are you? Because um, to be frank, you're coming off like an A-hole. But that's just me. Man, I'd hate to see what you'd say about the video I'm working on. Something for a college wakeboard club, where the biggest tricks that you'll see are dum dums, elephants, and tootsie rolls, from only two of the riders in the video. The rest are spins and relatively basic inverts. Man. I'd hate to hear your criticism on that.

Look, Transgression didn't fit the type of video you were expecting. Tough shat. If you went in, expecting an action packed video, then you obviously didn't watch the trailer very closely, or listen to the reviews given by others who didn't like it. But just because you didn't like it, doesn't give you the space to trash talk the people in it, nor the makers of it. So calm down and back off. You're acting like a troll dude, and it's not cool.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-22-2008, 7:36 PM Reply   
Nick, I love Am videos and all of the videos that people post on here, whether it is their first wake jump or their first 7. Gator Boards is a different story, what they represent and how they treat their riders.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-22-2008, 7:38 PM Reply   
Oh and I have no affiliation with liquid force or mastercraft. It has just been my handle for years, but now I'm riding hyperlite and nautiques
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-22-2008, 8:32 PM Reply   
dang.. I gotta sell my boat now

Back to the topic.. I thought the video was a great and inspirational addition to my wake video collection with a great soundtrack as well!
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-22-2008, 8:34 PM Reply   
Aye, the soundtrack introduced me to several bands which made for BRILLIANT ambient music to study while listening to... I also became addicted to coffee during this time, but realized that the smell gave me a headache, so I broke the addiction...
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-22-2008, 9:02 PM Reply   
Great post by nicholas...defended an opinion and didn't have to bash any other films to do it.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-22-2008, 11:55 PM Reply   
I believe you said the video was made by a sub-par company == Sidewayz

Is there a better wake video company?

...I cannot say for sure but I would imagine Gator boards didn't make the video to impress you, they are far from sub-par either... a rider owned/operated company is what the industry needs.... not just companies build on 100% profit (hyperlite --!!!not a hyperlite bash!!!)

Like it or not from a non-wakeboard aspect it was amazingly done -- from a wakeboard aspect it was still far above-par
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-23-2008, 12:15 AM Reply   
I am glad that there is not a cookie cutter philosophy on how a wake video should be made, that would be boring. Variety is the spice of life and Transgression was refreshing. I am sure that most film makers and cinematographers want to do something different and unique... not the same old thing every year with a few new tricks and different songs plugged in.

I really enjoyed Transgression and think it does a great job of pushing wake films out of the box.

There are a few other industries (ie; dirtbike videos) that have been around longer than wakeboarding but have failed to break the mold of how a video "should be".

Kyle. Although your opinion is always welcome, sometimes it is better to not say anything.
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-23-2008, 12:23 AM Reply   
anybody else notice how randall like never....throws raley based tricks in videos or at events ?

anybody care to explain why please ?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-23-2008, 5:04 AM Reply   
Josh, I think it is because he takes every trick as big as a raley. If you could do a tail grab hs 540 bigger than a raley, why even do a raley?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-23-2008, 5:36 AM Reply   
he just does what he likes doing. though he competes, he rides for himself. he does the tricks he wants to do, not what he judges want to see.
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-23-2008, 6:14 AM Reply   
The Truth has my board on the cover and in the first segment (Benny G going off) thereby making it the best video ever...I'm glad we all had this talk.
Old    110outlet            07-23-2008, 6:25 AM Reply   
Though both Randall sections are great i actually really enjoyed keith lidbergs section the most, it was great to see him ride and attack rails gets me super pumped. Ryan Doyles was good as well for the rail parts, nice to see a Canadian wakestaker ripping. I was hoping to see more with Kyle Rattray, Jeff Mckees section was good but ive like clips from PULL of him better. Most of my freinds fall asleep durning the movie, some parts are a bit long and drawn out. I own the movie and pull it out on the reg to watch sections but i wouldnt sit down and watch the whole thing alone. As for the sound track ive downloaded most of the songs and there in my riding list.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-23-2008, 6:35 AM Reply   
Yo Kyle,

if we're going to get critical on Transgression, then let's dig in... give us the breakdown on why you think it's not that great.

Everyone can benefit from a harsh critic... I love to hear tough criticisms of my work - it allows me to see my goods from a totally foreign perspective. Although, if they just say 'that sucks', it does me no good whatsoever.

It's difficult to make something better if you don't know what's wrong with it in the first place, so let's open this up the right way...
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-23-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
I liked Transgressions, it fits right in with what Gator is all about, ride for yourself and don't be afraid to be different from the norm.
Is it going to please everyone? No, but that doesn't make it a sub par video, from a sub par company, that's just ridiculous, have some respect for all involved in making this vid.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-23-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
Music put me to sleep! Good riding but damn was it boring, i don't give a rats a** when they have these spiritual trips and talk about it. I just want to see the riding, i don't need a fish eye view tripping out to some lame music.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-23-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
'lame music'...this is an example of what I mean by one-line rants. Expound my friend, why don't you like it. What may be lame to you might be exactly the kind of tunes I like. In general, I don't like hip hop that seems to pervade action sports and radio in general, so something different is attractive to me.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-23-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
i don't see how someone who says they love wakeboarding can just go off and bash a legit wakeboarding company. Gator boards is the only rider owned funded and operated company. Seems to me that they are doing things right. So instead of hating on them why don't you just keep it to yourself. We all wakeboard cuz we love it and to hate on someone elses way of doing something they love is ridiculous. So kyle just keep your dumba@# remarks to yourself unless you have some substance to back up you remarks. Sounds to me like they wouldm't sponsor him so now he has a personal grudge.
my .02
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-23-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
I don't know about everyone... but time and time again we see that "wakeboarding is a lifestyle". This is a true statement as far as my life is concerned.

While riding is full of energy, hard hits, and big falls there's another side to it. If that's all riding was then I'd be an adrenaline junkie looking to rip it once and awhile. I am but I'm not. Riding is one of the few times the whole world generaly stops. It's just me, on the water, with my friends, some good tunes, in the moment.

There's tranquility and peace. At times there's the jacked up feeling after landing something new or something killer. Then at others after having a solid set and hitting something big, laid out, and floaty... I get back in the boat and I feel content and alive.

When I watch transgression, I see the two worlds blended. I see solid riding, at times invigorating, I view scenery, and I hear music that encompasses the soulful side as well.

When I watch Transgression it captures a lifestyle. When I watch other videos i can see the lifestyle, I can see the riding, but seldom do i see the two sides so thoroughly blended.

Granted this is how I feel about the film based on what wakeboard means to me. Not everyone is going to feel the same way. Lets face it some people are more concerned about the image, the chicks, the one big trick, and other aspects of the sport. Yes I enjoy some of those aspects as well... but those don't define a lifestyle, they represent one facet of a lifestyle.
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-23-2008, 5:28 PM Reply   
transgression - was exactly what needed to been done for wakeboarding movies. good to see a change up of the stock standard rider sections that we have seen over and over again. and what over movie runs for that long??

and to say the riding was ametur is just lame.

and if it is being compared to the truth here, movies like that have been done over and over again, and who besides soven really stepped it up on that movie?
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-23-2008, 7:59 PM Reply   
Transgression was an awesome video from an awesome company!

To call a company subpar who has lead the way for wakefilms for years is a little harsh, and immature.

I love push process and bent felix. But Transgression is on a whole new level. I have watched Transgression probably 30 times because its different than the others. You get a whole film in transgression not just amazing riding
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-24-2008, 6:05 AM Reply   
"You get a while film in Transgression not just amazing riding"

Like trees and wooden boats and stuff!
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-24-2008, 6:51 AM Reply   
Typical internet BS. Some dude shows up and wants to share his stoke, then some knuckledragger with a vendetta, because his 2nd cousin's-brother, wasn't reupped-as "if" we cared.

I thought the film was pretty sic-loved the art of it. It's nice to see what makes riders tick, what get's them through it. Watching Randall strap it back up, after a few days off, was insightful-almost like you were there. Not just another Vid with the same tricks shot in the same angles, different location, that has become rather boring to me. I couldn't careless if someone didn't like the soundtrack, or someone didn't like the faith displayed, after all, nobody asked you for your opinion. All this thread was about, was some rider and his stoke to see a film. The negative vibes and the drama they unleashed, speak volumes. Kooks. I suspect your late for your level 10 gym class?
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-24-2008, 7:05 AM Reply   
Transgression is the best I've seen this year. Kyle, you'll get it when you turn 14
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-24-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
i love transgression and i love the truth, dont say that nobody other than soven stepped it up in the truth because benny g had the best part in the whole movie. henshaws part was killer too and lymans was nice just too short.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-24-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
i haven't seen too too many wake videos but i think Transgression is a really good film. IMHO any video where you get to see a pro come back after not riding for 2+ years and kill it the way Vandall does is about as inspiring as it gets. Especially when you can't ride for 6 - 8 months.
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-24-2008, 10:21 AM Reply   
If you liked Randall's section in Transgression, wait till you see him in DRIVE...!
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-24-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
I just bought Transgression the other day, and I must admit; I loved the cinematography, but the soundtrack was downright depressing. I found myself muting it and listening to a CD.

FWIW I loved the soundtrack for PushProcess.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-24-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
Kyle, while I respect you having your own opinion on this film, I completely disagree with the way in which you expressed your opinion. You could have been more eloquent in your review. If you didn't like it, fine. But bashing a company, its riders and the film maker just makes you look like an Ahole. This is a very small industry, good luck with that.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-25-2008, 5:16 PM Reply   
Ian, I can understand that whether or not the music chosen for a video is good is a matter of opinion, but to lay down your own music while watching it takes so much away from your viewing experience.

The music is not just "thrown" down over the video... it is integrated into it, the footage is perfectly timed to match the rhythm of the song. Watch it again and listen during the shot/scene changes, rider take offs and landings....
Old     (savage)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-25-2008, 7:11 PM Reply   
I just watched the trailer, definitely gonna have to get it. I like the music too, in fact I already listen to a lot of that stuff. I like a lot of different types of music though, so I'm pretty easy to please.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-25-2008, 7:44 PM Reply   
Loved it. Soundtrack was fantastic.
Push Process was good but it falls short compared to Transgression.
Impact (cable film) is superb for having been filmed strictly at cable parks. If you liked the slow mo stuff in PP, Impact simply blows it out of the water.
http://videos.wakeboardingmag.com/viewVideo.php?video_id=814&title=Impact_Teaser&ref =lives2wake
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-25-2008, 8:27 PM Reply   
impact was SICK! one of the best wake vids!
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-25-2008, 9:15 PM Reply   
Impact hands down blows every wake film out of the water. I love Transgression, and I liked Push Process, but neither of them can come close to Impact.
Old     (laxwannabe1)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-28-2008, 8:09 PM Reply   
I must say that Transgression was by far my favorite wake vid. I love what Ron Seidenglanz does with his films. Until this came out, Such Is Life was my favorite film. But this one, this is what wakeboarding means to me.

If I'm having a bad day, I can pop it in the DVD player and it really chills me out. But if I'm looking to get pumped to ride, I'll pop Trangression in as well. Any movie that can chill me out or pump me up depending on what I'm looking for is good in my book.
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-28-2008, 8:36 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-29-2008, 6:40 AM Reply   
Just watched Transgression last night for the first time... i loved it. Liked the filming, the music, the riding... everything.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-14-2008, 10:33 AM Reply   
By John Ruppert (johnny_defacto) on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 5:16 pm:

Ian, I can understand that whether or not the music chosen for a video is good is a matter of opinion, but to lay down your own music while watching it takes so much away from your viewing experience.

The music is not just "thrown" down over the video... it is integrated into it, the footage is perfectly timed to match the rhythm of the song. Watch it again and listen during the shot/scene changes, rider take offs and landings....

I gave it another watch last night and I must admit the soundtrack does fit the movie very well. While its not music that I'd listen to, I actually did enjoy the movie quite a bit more on teh second watch. You are 100% right.
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-14-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
Okay, my 2c. Transgression is fantastic, no argument there, but for me Delta Session 2 has the best sound track, with or without the video. I've gotten a lot of good hours out of that video and a lot of additional music from some of the more obscure Norcal bands represented there.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-14-2008, 10:29 PM Reply   
"Gator boards is the only rider owned funded and operated company"

Isn't ronix like that too?

I thought this thread died long ago but I guess not. I don't think I have ever seen anything with mere connotations of wakeboarding in it and declared it a waste of time.

On a side note, seems to me that they put a lot into the music they use for each and every riders section. I haven't seen the movie drive, but just by playing the sound track I could pretty much tell which song was in which section, example, whenever I hear the song "Electric Feel" by MGMT, I get a mental image of Benny G riding. Not only are visual effects usually cohessive with the beat of the song, the song also cohers to the rider.

Edit: I know Benny G does not ride to the song Electric Feel in transgression, he does in DRIVE, thought it would be a good example.

(Message edited by hawk7 on August 14, 2008)
Old     (liquidforcex1)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-14-2008, 11:33 PM Reply   
movies sick bottom line....the places the music in it sick....transgression deserves the awards and nominations it recived
Old     (slaysher)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-15-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
my personal opinion...

Great locations/ decent riding.

-sound track is always one's personal choice. . . but waaaaaaaay to slow for me, i wanted to get pumped up from explosive tracks especially randalls part . . .but the movie almost put me to sleep and i lost interest really quick.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-15-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
I love Transgression. I wouldn't say the music sucked but I don't but it was a little mellow and slow for my taste. But I dont' watch wake videos for the music so I won't judge the entire video on the soundtrack. I will say that Manchester Orchestra's song on Randalls 2nd section is a SICK song and fit perfectly with his riding style. Started out chill and slow, showed him falling, then it sped up and started rocking and thats when he did some true Vandall West Coast style riding.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-15-2008, 11:00 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThpLUKQlt-A