Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (jhuff79)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-15-2007, 1:09 PM Reply   
I have recently heard that the Liquid Force Witness, Team, and Shane need to be ridden tail heavy. I was curious what characteristic these boards share that would require this riding style to get the best pop. Is it that people are riding a bigger board to get more pop and that requires a more tail heavy approach.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-15-2007, 5:11 PM Reply   
I don't know that peeople are referring to the pop when they say that. I have personally ridden a board tail heavy when edgeing into the wake to sink the edge /fin.

I don't know about the Witness, but the Team and Shane I believe both have all of their fin at the tip / tail. Maybe they are referring to edging.

Different tricks may require you to weight the tail for an "ollie-like" pop. But I don't see how board characteristics would matter.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-15-2007, 5:51 PM Reply   
I would say boat wake has a lot to do with weight bias. The more vert the wake, the more front foot heavy. If it is a rampy wake, then you can ride with more weight on the rear foot. Riding style has a lot to do with it too. Do you want to go up^ or out<>.
Old    murrayair            02-15-2007, 5:58 PM Reply   
I wouldn't say any any board necessarily has to be ridden any specific way. Like J-Rod and Peter said, it all depends on the wake, the trick, and most importantly the rider. Ride the way the feels best for you, not how others say you're supposed to ride.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-15-2007, 6:13 PM Reply   
Don't know about the LF boards mentioned, continues or 3 stage, but a few years back my son was riding tail heavy, his coach said it was because the abrupt 3 stage of the Parks was making him ride back in his stance to adjust to the buck of 3 stage boards. He switched to a 3DS, problem solved. Don't know it this means anything, just our experience.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-15-2007, 9:46 PM Reply   
riding the subjekt, i noticed that the board was more of a wake to wake board. meaning that the board responded better to a slight ollie at the wake as opposed to hard edging thru it. the board didnt' really seem to respond to going straight at and standing tall. When i hit right, i could feel myself go straight up and straight down. cruising down the into trough. to be in right position, would mean riding tail heavy.. just my .02 of that one board
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-16-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
I would actually say the opposite of Peter. Vert wakes = more tail heavy (keep the nose up). Rampy wakes = more carving through the wake, equal weight. Wake-to-wake = tail heavier; Into-the-Flats = more even weight. An extreme example would be dub's...I come in fairly tail heavy on those...or nose light, whatever you prefer. But, that is just my impression.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-16-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
tino santori was saying that the witness needed to ridden tail heavy and one of our team riders rode the board and said it needed to be ridden tail heavy as well.