Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                08-10-2006, 7:50 PM Reply   
tried learning the raley the other day. managed to do almost every variation of the trick except what i wanted: the basic raley. i didn't land anything naturally, but problems ranged from undesired 180's when i wanted to pull the board back down to most commonly not being able to get an edge on landing. any ideas on how i'm messin it up?
Old     (danrocks4)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-11-2006, 12:09 PM Reply   
Ive never tried a raley, but i hear that its helpful to use a wakeskate first so that you get the feel with out doing belly flops at 23mph
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-12-2006, 11:36 AM Reply   
Keep your weight equal over both feet, edge all the way up and through the wake(do not leave early), look at the tower, if you look down you will roll. If you make it that far you'll feel a tug on the handle, bring it toward you knees, thus pullin g the board back under you for the landing. The trick happens quick, better to get the board too far in front of you and butt-check the landing rather than come up short!!!
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       08-12-2006, 2:38 PM Reply   
Chuck nailed it... Follow his instructions and you should get it.

Pay close attention to what he said about how fast the trick is... It's a lot faster than you'd think, even the big ones!

Good luck!

-Blake
Old                08-12-2006, 8:00 PM Reply   
thanks guys, i was just goin out and throwin it with no idea how it should feel or what to focus on. next chance i get i'll try 'er out and go from there.
Old     (rimreaper)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-13-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
Lance can u do 360's and inverts?
Old                08-13-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
patrick- i can land backrolls consistently. other than that nothin's consistent. from what i've read, a raley's a trick thats probably a bit too advanced for me, but damn it looks cool. i want it bad, and am more then willing to put up with the pain to get it. if i could just get out on the water again...
Old     (wakerider23234)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-14-2006, 8:28 AM Reply   
i learned them on my tramp so if you have access to one try it on there i thought it really helped.
Old     (rimreaper)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-14-2006, 11:15 AM Reply   
I guess just try it at a lower speed w/ ur bindings looser than normal. If u have to crash just kinda tuck in.
Old     (markmoo)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-23-2006, 3:29 PM Reply   
do it on a wakeskate first to get positioning and timing down
Old     (doogles)      Join Date: May 2004       08-25-2006, 1:34 PM Reply   
Here is my personal raley training plan: Throw on a wetsuit, vest, and helmet (not really needed but help on the confidence side of things). Load the boat up for a big wake, shorten your line to 55', drive the boat around 18mph, or as slow as you can while getting the wake to form at 55'. throw on some shoes and grab your wakeskate. Edge out hard and go for it. Think about all the usual raley tips, of standing tall, Progressive edge, with hips up to the handle and really edging up the wake. When you're in the air, stare down the line and look at the boat. Try it a couple times and get to the point where you are pulling your feet back down almost too far, so that you're entering the water feet first. Once you get the hang of this, strap on your board. Keep the line short, the speed slow and give it a try. Since you should be able to edge a lot harder on a board than you were on the skate, you should not have trouble getting the board all the way up and back down, without taking any bad falls. Once you get it, let the line out 5 feet, speed up 1-3mph as needed and give it another try. Keep doing this incrementally until you are back at your usual line length and boat speed So far I have watched at least 10 people learn raleys by this method....without any injury producing falls. You still have to sack up and go for it, but this is probably one of the safer ways to figure it out. Good luck!