Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-27-2010, 8:52 PM Reply   
We went on a little vacation up north and spent some time at Lake Oroville in Norcal. My 5 year-old daughter gave it a try on her new wakeboard. She did better every day, and by the 3rd or 4th was going for a minute or two without falling.
Attached Images

Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-27-2010, 8:54 PM Reply   
Then she wanted to ride 'the chair' with Daddy for a bit.
Attached Images

Last edited by brettw; 08-27-2010 at 8:56 PM.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-27-2010, 8:56 PM Reply   
I love this lake. I took this pic ahead of us while i was driving while pulling my sister skiing.
Attached Images

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-27-2010, 10:13 PM Reply   
my oldest daughter is 2 1/2... cant wait. congrats
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-28-2010, 5:29 AM Reply   
she looks so cute biting her lip. my problem isI bite my tounge[which my wife wishes i would do in public more often] like michael jordan. unfortunately i don't have his kind of talent,but i do have hair even if it's grey.lol best of luck to you and your daughter. i wish i could have gotten that early of a start.HAPPY BOARDING!
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-28-2010, 7:57 AM Reply   
We have been trying to get our 5 year old daughter up but wiht no success. Your daughter looks great on the board like a natural. We bought our daughter a 119 board but she seems to have a problem with holding onto the handle. Any tips on how you got her up? My daughter is about the same size but I have convinced myself that she doesnt have the strength to hold on, but after seeing your pictures i may rethink this one.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-28-2010, 8:45 AM Reply   
Until my daughter was able to get up on her own, one of us stayed in the water with her and sort of gave her a boost by turning the board and pushing her up. That helped her up initially. Another thing that helped with a boy the same age that we taught was to just put him in the board on the shore and pull him up by hand several times. He was able to basically get up like that for a second and then got right up behind the boat within the 1st few tries. It's even better if you can do this at a river where there's a bit of a current.

Also, I started wakeboarding with my daughter standing on my board between my legs when she was three, so she was comfortable doing this sort of thing. You can try that as well, but just take it easy.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-28-2010, 8:52 AM Reply   
Thats awesome Brett.
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       08-29-2010, 6:37 AM Reply   
I love to see that! Thanks for posting.
Old     (cccbuilders)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-29-2010, 8:34 AM Reply   
niiiiice! just the beginning!! she will want to do it all the time now. Congrtas!
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-29-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tips Brett. We will have to give some of those a try, we will be at Shasta this weekend.
Old     (greenbass86)      Join Date: May 2010       08-29-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
Congratulations man, that is awesome how fast she is progressing.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-30-2010, 7:11 AM Reply   
Hi Brett, First: Awesome! We are very proud of her. Second: what is she riding? My little girl wants a wake board for her 5th birthday. Oct. 5. her big bros, ages 7& 9 ride a 119 O'Brien and a 120 Ronix Vision. She is pretty small, about 35 lbs but tough as nails due to two older brothers. Kaitlin wants her own board and it's gonna have to have some pink in it. I think you know where I'm coming from here. She rides on my board with me all the time and I just started letting her hold onto the handle as well.

Anyway your daughters board looks small and girly. just what I need.
Thanks,
John
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-30-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
She's riding a LF Star 118 with LF micro series bindings. You can find some of these boards on sale. Just check froogle. I ended up finding a lightly used one with the bindings on Ebay.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-30-2010, 10:11 AM Reply   
Thanks, i thought was a star. have you seen the star-min? its like 111 CM or so. I'll start looking.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-30-2010, 10:13 AM Reply   
That is awesome!
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-30-2010, 12:36 PM Reply   
That is awesome. I can't wait to get my little guy out there. I'm already training him to drive!
Attached Images

Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-30-2010, 3:04 PM Reply   
PLR, You never know how soon it may happen. My son at 2 1/2 wanted to ride although he was just starting to swim. He just turned 3 years old is riding double skis and it was all his doing. He keeps asking me to pull him on my slalom ski. I'm breaking out the barefoot boom this weekend and I know he will push his way into the water saying my turn, my turn. Total blind ambition!

I don't like the sitting thing while the boat drives off in my alligator infested lake so I purchased a pair of HO Hot Shots and put a 1 1/2 pound piece of lead on the tail of each ski. That was the key. With weight they float vertical in the water so he can control them while just sitting/floating.

Initially, I pulled him across the pool but the skis kept floating out from under him. The second key was stopping him immediately so he would not get frustrated. He was so angry with me and even more determined to do it. He rode for 4 minutes behind the boat on the first try. He wants to board but finding the right equipment for someone so small is the problem. I'm also weary of a good face plant.

I know how Brett feels. I never thought it was possible to have more fun in the boat than behind it. Now I know why my Dad spent hours driving for me. Time to pass the torch.

Last edited by srock; 08-30-2010 at 3:07 PM.
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-30-2010, 4:50 PM Reply   
PLR - where did you get that shirt? I want it for my kid!
Old     (rene)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-30-2010, 6:44 PM Reply   
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-31-2010, 8:48 AM Reply   
Russell

http://www.cafepress.com/+infant_bodysuit,272367553 My wife got it for me for Christmas last year. I'm pretty sure this is where it came from though.
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-31-2010, 10:09 AM Reply   
Sweet, thank you! I showed my wife last night and she wants one so bad.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-31-2010, 3:04 PM Reply   
Still looking for a board but I did find a little grommets handle for 16 bucks. 11" and smaller diameter should help them hang on a little better. Hoping anyway.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-11-2010, 2:51 PM Reply   
Here's an update with a video. Since being out a couple of weekends in Oroville in August, she's been in cold salt water once or twice for about a minute or two and then at the river a couple of weeks ago. This video is of her last ride yesterday at the river.