Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-15-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
I've been working on HS backrolls lately and have totally messed up my TS jumps by not continuing to work on these. Does anybody have any pointers for getting this back in line?

I don't feel like I'm carrying the same speed and I keep coming off the top of the wake too heavy on my back foot. I should have known this might happen.

Will putting more weight on my front foot solve both of these issues?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-15-2007, 7:59 AM Reply   
Probably. I know when I get lazy and get too much weight on my back foot, it becomes hard to get as much pop or line load (and speed) into the wake. On my toeside approach, the first two things I do when the boat starts pulling me back towards the wake is turn the handle vertically (to get my shoulders and chest turned away from the boat) and get some weight on my front foot. These two things have helped my toeside jumps a ton.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-15-2007, 8:12 AM Reply   
I need to get an updated picture of my TS edge now but here was last year when I was trying to get into a stronger position after many years of not being able to take my TS very big. I hope this helps.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/322434.html
Old     (livigno)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-17-2007, 2:08 AM Reply   
Your TS jumps should feel poppy, well balanced and well controlled. If your board is going in front of you in the air, if you keep landing on your heelside edge or if you're not getting good pop, then you need to make adjustments to either your body positioning, the way you pop, your cut, or all of this.

I'd focus on these things:
- shift more weight to your front foot than you think is probably right
- keep your back arm bent to keep the handle at your lead hip and pull the majority of the line load with your back arm
- do not bend at the waist, lean down toward the water and away from the boat with your body straight and only your knees slightly bent
- edge progressively - start out slowly and continually build your edge as you approach the wake
- push from the very top of the wake by really standing tall
- last not least: try to edge through the wake straightly, don't try to follow the curve of the wake with your body

If done correctly, your TS jumps will be as big as your HS jumps. Personally, I feel I can take TS jumps even bigger. Don't know why. Maybe because of the "locked in" approach which makes mistakes at the last moment less possible. For instance, my TS Backrolls are bigger and cleaner than my HS Backrolls - and they seem to be easier and even more fun ...but maybe that's just me.

So all in all, good TS jumps are all about good body positioning, correct edging and the right timing (like your HS jumps).

Hope this helps!
Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-18-2007, 8:10 AM Reply   
I think the rope is definitely getting out and away from my hip. Thanks for the tip on locking the arm in a bent position.

The front foot needs more weight, too. I'm very heavy on my back foot and lately the board is coming out in front of me.

Saturday is our last run of the season here in MN. Sounds odd, but I can't complain! Anytime you can get out into October, it's a good year.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-19-2007, 6:47 AM Reply   
I have been working on this as well. one thing that I would like to add that helped me is to try to get your weight shifted before you make your turn into the wake. Once you are "locked in" on edge, it's more difficult to transfer the weight at that time...
Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-23-2007, 3:19 PM Reply   
Thanks guys! The feel came back to me this weekend. It was a combo of weight distribution and body position. I'm getting my pop back now.

Too bad the season is over for us here in MN!