Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-03-2009, 10:32 PM Reply   
Evans dad has a house in Disco, so we're covered.

I think some people are taking this too personal. Wakeboarders are venting about surfers messing up the water. It's true...surfers make the biggest impact on the water quality. Just the facts.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       07-03-2009, 10:42 PM Reply   
Come on Joe that was just a joke you know that. They are delta locals tho. If your there a lot your a local.

It had been awhile since i had really got on here. I forgot how much fun this can be! haha

Caskimmer, You would be blown away by the Delta then. there is so many dumb*** ppl behind the wheel on the delta. I would say about 80% of the ppl on the Delta Powerturn, but to tell you the truth thats not my main issue with surfer. Its what boat with 1000lbs at 10mph does to the water a mile behind the boat. When im at a lake it really is fine, it does not bug me. cuz you can just go around. The delta is dif. You have to hit rollers for a mile just to pass them. Also im not sayin ppl that are there first, but still why do you have to stay in the good water when ppl are tryin to ride on a one of the only nice spots. IMO that is just a D*** move. The rare times we do have a girl or somethin that wants to surf, we leave the good water we rode on and go surf somewhere else. Even if we where there first, Cuz its the NICE thing to do out of respect of everyone else there!! Im not sayin surfin is bad or you should not do it. Just why do you have to do it in the good water? You are tryin to make us out to be the bad guys cuz we don't like ppl who don't need the great water messing it up for the ppl who do. Wakesurfing the boat blocks the wind chop.So it really does not matter right?

How do you feel about tubes and Jetskis messing up the only good water where you are trying to ride?? Bet you don't like it. I have never meet someone that rides that it doesn't piss off. Well wakesurfing does the same thing!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-03-2009, 10:58 PM Reply   
Come to Powell, Wake Surfing (because too close to boat and potential Co poisoning) is not allowed and you will be pulled over for a good half an hour or more and possibly fined... just saw this happen to one boat out there today... and then they went right back out to do it again after park service left.

for the most part they were away and in rough-er water
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-03-2009, 11:31 PM Reply   
So after some good wakeboard runs early this morning out at Saguaro Lake in AZ, we decided to surf out in the middle of the lake (up front where it's ruff)... All goes well, until this idiot with some ski boat with extended pylon is cruising up fast behind us pulling someone....going the wrong way (yes there is a rule on our lake for pulling people counter clock wise)... My surfer falls and they are still cruising. I HATE when people power turn, but there's a time and a place when it's needed. After realizing that they are still on the same course getting close to my fallen surfer, I gunned it back around. The deuche pie came close and had the nerve to yell at me and say "STOPPP the power turning, NO Power turning".

You ever wish you had a paint ball gun????

Daddy must have let him take the boat out on the 3rd of July. I think I was learning to drive a boat when this kid was taking a deuce in a pottie trainer.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-04-2009, 1:03 AM Reply   
god enough is enough, like i said on the wakesurf forum, we gotta get over this s--t. we have so many other huge problems that need to be addressed. forget this bs. if we cant get along amongst our selves, water sport riders, how are we going to actually defend or waters. the states counties cities etc. dont give a s--t what you do behind the boat or what sport it is. the environmentalist dont care either. we are on point to lose boating as a whole if we dont stick together. from delta pump stations and socal water issues to muscles and local inspections, we might not have anything left but to b---ch about rollers and butter. lets get are heads out of are a--s here everyone, mine included. dave delete this thread already were all over it, lets worry about having a place just to take your boat, lets have some fun this summer and respect each other on the water.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-04-2009, 8:31 AM Reply   
I'm too guilty about everyone else's water to do it at any time. There is also ZERO adrenaline involved, so a total waste of time, gas, water, etc.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       07-04-2009, 4:50 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/87668.html?1246744907 yay!

Not gonna lie...I LOVE WAKESUFRING! And I also LOVE WAKEBOARDING, and I LOVE KITEBOARDING....I just HATE TUBING!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-06-2009, 5:25 AM Reply   
Dennis Wins! Prolly the worst post ever.
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-06-2009, 6:12 AM Reply   
Happy Holidays!
Old     (gb_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-07-2009, 12:18 AM Reply   
Keep buying Wakesurf Boards... As a rep i love it. I get paid off of all of you who have them (from a certain brand that is).. Spread the word and Surf your hearts out....Keep buying Wakesurf boards, give them as gifts...

Sorry Andy. I'll send you something free. :-)

Lakes are no longer Butter.... They are Country Crock Shedd Spread! Just a Tub of S#!t.}
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2009, 5:40 AM Reply   
But 1 wakeboard boat does the same damage to the water as 5 waterski boats but that doesn't seem to bother you much does it? Thankfully for all of you Herb Obrien didn't show the same close minded attitude towards other water sports or you would all still likely be dropping elbows.

Seriously, I feel sorry that you guys have to deal with so many tools but you're going about this the wrong way. You will never accomplish anything from being confrontational and telling people what they can't do. As far as I know that tact has never worked. When I read this all I get is that the OP comes off sounding like a spoiled brat in need of a diaper change and a reality check.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2009, 5:51 AM Reply   
and Bryan I agree with you. Even though we might not all stand up the same way we all have common interests and further driving a wedge within the community is going to get us nowhere fast.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-07-2009, 6:18 AM Reply   
By wardovision (caskimmer) on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 5:40 am:

I am in no way a spoiled brat......and my diaper is clean

HOLMES!!! I expect something amazing from you.....I will be checking my mail!
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2009, 7:21 AM Reply   
Just saying that you're complaining about the very people that enable you to do what you're doing for a living. We don't just wakesurf, we also wakeboard and wakeskate as well. (I did only wakeboard sets this past weekend) We help support the companies that support you and without us you can be sure that's your sponsors marketing budgets would be a lot more streamlined.

edit: and yes saying that others shouldn't be able to enjoy a particular activity so you can enjoy yours is being spoiled

(Message edited by CAskimmer on July 07, 2009)
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-07-2009, 7:37 AM Reply   
"wakesurfing is for people who cant wakeboard"
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2009, 8:05 AM Reply   
I can say the same thing about wakeboarders only doing it because they can't wakeskate. Who needs bindings to catch air, learn to ollie? It doesn't matter the reason behind someone's decision to do something, this is America and we are all afforded the same rights.

close minded is close minded. You can dislike something as much as you want, it will never make your position right

(Message edited by CAskimmer on July 07, 2009)
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-07-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
JUST WORDS, JUST SPEECHES!

Some of you people claim to have respect for others on the water but then talk about where other people should go to participate in their sport so they don't spoil the water that you think you own.

You get the respect that you give, and you don't rate much telling people where, or what they can or can't do on public water ways. That's just retarded, pathetic and childish.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-07-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
I have no problem with wakesurfing...it's just like anything in life though, be considerate of others. Wakesurfing kills the water for everyone so try to pick a spot that will affect the least amount of people is all I ask. Vic's happens to be the perfect spot for wakeboarding because it's straight and the width of the channel and tule weeds make our wakes dissipate quick and not affect other's. The rollers from a surf boat do not head toward shore but go up and down the channel directly in the riding path.

When we are on Vic's about to drop a rider and I see a ski boat putting a skier in,I let them jump ahead. I do not race to beat them to the punch. I know they will be up and going super fast and outta our way and I also understand how important it is for them to get a glassy channel, our wake will kill their chance at that if we jump ahead...I put their needs infront and let them enjoy their sport as well. THAT is all I'm asking when I ask that surfer's please stay outta Vic's unless it sucks every where else. I don't think I own it or anything, just if it's glass everywhere go somewhere that won't kill everyone's day.

The boat I mention in an earlier post would ONLY ride the glass spot, while the rest of us went all the way up and down the channel riding the chop and hoping for a hit or two when we passed the glass spot. It was impossible to even get that b/c the two surf boats were power-turning and circling the spot and not giving anyone else a chance at it. just rude I think. END RANT,
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-07-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
"I can say the same thing about wakeboarders only doing it because they can't wakeskate."

Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-07-2009, 9:08 AM Reply   
^^^^^^

I love WAKEWORLD!!!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-07-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
Man I aint going to fight with you WARDOVISOIN. I just deleted my post.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-07-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
Well said Andrea, I completely agree...Most of the locals out in your neck of the woods are usually the same way(from my experience), its the weekend warriors with this sense of entitlement that screw things up with the whole attitude of "well I paid my taxes I get just as much of a right...blah blah blah. Which is ironic since they are very likely not paying the potential HOA fees or other San Joaquin taxes and fees, being involved in the public hearings (anyone remember 5mph outside Orwood debacle a year ago?) etc.

Haha, this whole thread is hilarious though. The Wakesurf guys just don't get that their single action can ruin the water for well over a dozen boats for 1 hour plus of time (but I guess that's "their right"). Then they scream that we do the same for skiers...haha. Last I checked the ONLY time I saw a skier complain to a wakeboarder was if they were powerturning or running through a slalom course (both situations are completely warranted).

FWIW...I have told people MANY times in my boat (and others) that we should go somewhere else to wakesurf.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
I'm not trying to fight with you or anyone else, IRL I'm actually a nice guy. I'm just standing up for my rights. My boards are like my guns, don't mess with them
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2009, 9:22 AM Reply   
"Riding for the love of the sport and not because someone told you to ride a certain way or because its "the cool thing to do"

"Mad love going out to all those hatin on us"

I really like what this guy had to say
Old     (dcase69)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-07-2009, 9:25 AM Reply   
dont let them off the hook that easily wardovision. i surf all the time on vics and these wakeboarders feel they own the slough. they are always messing up the water im trying to surf. im sick of people like that parkgirl and westsiderippa tearing up the water when im trying to get my surf on. power to the surfers brotha.
Old     (nwarhol1105)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-07-2009, 9:51 AM Reply   
Andy, if you aren't gonna use your surfers ever again....hook a brother up!
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-07-2009, 10:14 AM Reply   
Shut it Daryl, or I WILL post "the picture"
Old     (dcase69)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-07-2009, 11:30 AM Reply   
the "pic" you refer to is me showing how i feel about you wakeboarders when you ruin my perfect butter water when im trying to get my surf on.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-07-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
Andrea! I had my finger on the "attach file" button and decided to spare everyone! lol
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-07-2009, 12:21 PM Reply   
i just cant come back from that, lmfao.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-07-2009, 12:32 PM Reply   
i am not gunna lie i am kinda addicted to this thread........... its great to see how many people rip me apart! I LOVE IT!!!
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-07-2009, 12:53 PM Reply   
The only thing missing from this thread is someone bagging on a Tige, Andy! LMAO

I love how passionate we all are. If you want to be nice to each other go post on wakeboarder.com. lol

Andrea or J-Rod, please post said pic!

Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-07-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
I can't do it...I actually really like my buddy Daryl. But it would definitely change the direction of this thread.

D- I'll be sure to mess up your "surf" water when Im cleared to ride in 2 weeks!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-07-2009, 1:00 PM Reply   

quote:

its great to see how many people rip me apart!

welcome to my world.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-07-2009, 1:08 PM Reply   
Joe you know you love it!
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-07-2009, 1:09 PM Reply   
Joe, I stole this gif from you

Upload
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-07-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
I think this is a very legitimate point. I understand all you guys and your "RIGHTS" to use the water however you like - and your absolutely correct. However, it is America and everyone has the right to act like a dick as well. This is a respect issue.

Anyone who has ever tried to wakeboard seriously and has had to deal with surf rollers knows they are a pain. If your in an area where the water is nice and someone is trying to take a serious wake set, try to let them get done with their set and then start surfing - out of RESPECT. It takes much more talent and effort to wakeboard/wakeskate than surf. Respect your fellow riders. Thats what I do no matter if I'm wakeboarding, pulling a wakeskater, surfing (rarely) or just driving down the lake. If we all took time to share the water and respect each other's time, these issues would be resolved.
Old     (dcase69)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-07-2009, 4:25 PM Reply   
to hell with respect. im gonna surf where and when i want. and if you drive a crappy tige and your name is andy, and you wakeboard on MY glassy surf water, im gonna power turn circles around your boat and say very mean things until your feelings are hurt. then ill put out my tube and do S turns as i drive away. did i miss anything?
Old     (dcase69)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-07-2009, 4:26 PM Reply   
also, Jarrod. if they wont allow side boob pics, i doubt theyll let you post that picture
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-07-2009, 4:27 PM Reply   
hahaha!!lol
Old     (freshtracks)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-07-2009, 5:06 PM Reply   
i love these so called "surfers" who talk about how they "surfed" all weekend and were shredding it up..haha...kooks!! ITS NOT SURFING. surfing involves paddling into an actual wave and having the ability to read the surf. what you call "surfing" behind a boat is not even close to the same level. if 3/4 of the guys who "surf" behind their boat showed up at a beach and tried would either hurt themselves or get heckled out of the water for being a kook.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-07-2009, 5:45 PM Reply   
Freshtracks, LMAO!!! You just made me think of the all time greatest surfing movies "the North Shore".

This thread rocks! It almost as close as the "winching thread" that got out of hand as well.

Look what you started Andy. :-)
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-07-2009, 5:53 PM Reply   
Man, I'll bet there are a lot of shorted-out computers from all that cryin' going on round here

Haven't surfed in a long while, and granted, would much rather board. I go out of my way to stay clear of boarders when tubing, but....

If I get there at 6 and want to surf, you'll have to get over it when you show up...

I'll go as far as to wait for boarders to get going, but I could care less if someone actually thinks they deserve better conditions than I do. Surfing is not a rough water activity, and if you think it is, then you are delusional about the importance of your opinion in the grand scheme of things...Respect is a two-way street.

Surfing is fun for everyone!

Upload
Old     (dcase69)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-07-2009, 8:02 PM Reply   
uh...er....couldnt find a pic where youre not using the rope? way to represent us surfers.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-07-2009, 8:11 PM Reply   
hey daryl you surfing tomorrow? couple of us want to wakeboard if the wind is down if not i'd be down to surf with you.

question for you, how do you have your vlx weighted?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-07-2009, 8:13 PM Reply   
Surfing belongs in the ocean. The shirt is kool but I want a bumper sticker that says "Friends Don"t Let Friends Wakesurf" I'd buy 10. LOL
Old     (dcase69)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-07-2009, 8:37 PM Reply   
i have a class in the morning, but will be surfing in the afternoon. where will you be? ill probably go surf vics all afternoon. i gotta work on my power turn skills. and as for how its weighted, all of it on the left side and in the rear so i can get that killer surf wake.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-07-2009, 8:41 PM Reply   
clubjoe, sure i was wakesurfing, but you forgot to mention how much that lake sucks balls to wakeboard in. look how dark it is and the lake still sucks! i'll never go to that lake again.
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-07-2009, 8:52 PM Reply   
hahahaha!!!

I couldn't find the pic of you on my jetski, so this had to do

That was a rough weekend out there...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-07-2009, 8:57 PM Reply   
still doesn't explain the point of posting the pic.
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-07-2009, 9:24 PM Reply   
Daryl-- it wasn't me, and it shouldn't matter if the ropes being held or not. I thought watersports were supposed to be fun... Way to rep the surfers, by forgetting where you started....

Joe- No real point other than I found it amusing. A pic of you surfing on this thread...

Hope thing are well with you
Old     (dcase69)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-07-2009, 9:36 PM Reply   
youre right clubjoe. i apologize to all the hard core wake surfers like myself. i am ashamed.
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-07-2009, 9:45 PM Reply   
surfing is the new tubing.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-07-2009, 9:52 PM Reply   
daryl, you have any pics of your surf wake? and yah we should be at vics, until you get there guess will ride secrets after that.
Old     (dcase69)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-07-2009, 10:05 PM Reply   
you know it bryan. any self respecting kick ass, stupid, dope, badass, mofo, surf bro like myself has a butt load of sick surf pics to display my badassedness. and yes, thats a real word i just made up. i just cant find them right now.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-08-2009, 5:55 AM Reply   
By daryl case (dcase69) on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 4:25 pm:

Now how the hell did I end up owning a TIGE???? AHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Tige' yeah right. Mastercraft X-Star till death baby!
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-08-2009, 6:55 AM Reply   
and now this thread has gone full circle.^^^
Old     (dcase69)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-08-2009, 7:25 AM Reply   
hey, lets start bashing boat brands now so we can get people all riled up and ticked off again. this thread has petered out. i hate mastercrafts! all of them. their wakes are crappy and they all suck. so do malibus, nautiques, sangers, centurions and mbs.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-08-2009, 8:10 AM Reply   
Hey I didnt make it go full circly you did. hahahahahahahahah

Dont see any one brand bashing but you.....why dont we all just get Bayliners!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-08-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
Andy's Hypothetical: Wakesurfing will cease to exist but you will never to be able to ride an Obrien board or behind a Mastercraft again. Do you take that deal?
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-08-2009, 8:50 AM Reply   
Thread of the Year.

Wow.
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-08-2009, 8:57 AM Reply   
Wow, this thing is still going??
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-08-2009, 5:12 PM Reply   
Welp ill join the rant. I love drunk wakesurfing at the end of the day when its all blownout.. Ahaha and if u pull ur kids on a tube on the delta u might as well tell ur wife u hate ur kids and wish they would take a trip to the ICU cus that's about all that's gunna come out of a goos whip into the rocks....
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-08-2009, 5:24 PM Reply   
I love how people think it is completely acceptable to throw double ups all day long, but other people can't wakesurf?

"Respect is a two-way street"

pretty much sums it up. it's too bad the majority of "core" riders in this sport are selfish.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-08-2009, 11:56 PM Reply   
nobody i know throws dub's when its butta.
Old     (mattwc)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-09-2009, 6:07 PM Reply   
I heard Zane Schwenk refer to wakesurfing as "getting lunch" all for a good reason. I only have 4-5 hours of good wakeboarding in the morning before everyone else gets out there, I'm taking it! I can surf the rest of the day if i want and let the tubers feel the wrath of a two foot wake and see how they like it. kidding.
I get pissed when people power turn but then i realize that they probably don't know any better and i calm down. I'd probably be power turning if i hadn't had Wake World or The Book to educate me! It makes me want to hand out copies of the first CD of The Book to people at the lake and tell them to pay attention to the part when it tells you how you should handle your boat when a rider falls.

(Message edited by mattwc on July 09, 2009)
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-09-2009, 9:35 PM Reply   
My dad is 63 years old and can wake surf behind my boat, he cant wakeboard, so I guess I should tell him to hang it up? He was a slalom skier for years, ya, the guy who got up at 5:00am before work to get a run in on glass. Who laid his shoulder down on the water, and would throw a massive wake, old school. Its pretty priceless for me to watch a 63 year old to still enjoy himself on the water. He is one who can definitely appreciate a run on glass, we all know the sound of your board cutting through the water with the sun rising over the water. However, wakesurfing is a nice way for some people who cant wakeboard to enjoy the water. People with bad backs or knees can do it because its a lot easier on there body when they fall and much easier to get up.

Wow, after reading all these threads just makes me grateful I dont have to go out to these lakes and water ways on the weekends. I can only imagine the kaos that goes on with everyone out there. Its bad enough during the weekdays, I dont think I would waist my gas on the weekends. What about the people with 80k wakeboard boats tubing people around all day in the good sections of the lake???

Bottom line is be courteous to others on the water, when possible I always try and wake surf in areas that arent going to affect people trying to wakeboard and slalom ski. However, wakesurfing in chop is no fun and you have to try and grab some good water. I wish tubers would also have this mentality of staying on the main body of the lake where you like to have rough water!

Wakeboarding, surfing, kneeboarding, its all good... just be courteous to others!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-10-2009, 12:41 AM Reply   
Props to your dad Travis! I hope to still being doing watersports at 63!
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-10-2009, 5:01 AM Reply   
i agree with nintzel.. as much as i love wakeboarding, wakeskating, surfing, ect. ect... when the water is flat, im not wasting it on anything but wakeboarding. the end
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-10-2009, 6:19 AM Reply   
WoW! this thread is funny!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-10-2009, 6:52 AM Reply   
this thing is still alive, WOW! Look like this even le me get my own thread! Everybody hurry and Vote.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-10-2009, 7:09 AM Reply   
I couldn't have said it any better Curt.

As much as I like wakeboarding, wakeskating, surfing, etc. etc...when the water is flat I'm not wasting it on anything but wakesurfing. the end
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-10-2009, 7:39 AM Reply   
I comes down to activity compatibility. Its fun being the compatible activity, and sux being the incompatible activity. Skiiers dont mind fisherman, but fisherman hate skiiers. Skiiers can still ski if fisherman are fishing, but the fishing sux is skiiers are running back and forth. Skiiers laugh. Wakeboarders dont mind skiiers, but skiiers hate wakeboarders. Wakeboarders can ride just fine with skiiers wizzing by, but skiing sux with wakeboard wakes tripping them up. Same with barefooters. Wakeboarders have generally been the most compatible sport and typically get the last laugh among the lake users. However, now wakesurfing puts wakeboarder on the other side. Wakesurfers dont mind wakeboarders but wakeboarders cant stand wakesurfers. Wakesurfers can ride just fine with wakebaorders riding past, but wakeboarding sux with a wakesurf boat jacking all the water up.

Thats why I changed over to kiteboarding. Being on the whiny kook side of the fence sux.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-13-2009, 11:22 AM Reply   
Why not Chime in.. This weekend we took some friends out to wakeboard/wakesurf and skate this weekend.. our friend hasnt wridden in a while and really wanted to wakesurf more than anything.. we showed up at the delta and pulled into twin slough..the water was amazing.. pure butter and not a ripple.. first question..."so do you mind if I try the wakesurf" .. I told him.. Lets wait till later.. right now the water is perfect for wakeboarding so lets take advantage of that and get some sets in and at the end of the day we can find some F'd up area and we can surf there...

I think that was was perfectly fair to everyone.. we rode twin, vics, and railroads that day.. and found some big open choppy channel to surf in.. We had a killer day! dont think I f'd with anyone ... so is that bad ??
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-13-2009, 11:47 AM Reply   
Bake's Marine in Sammamish, WA sold more wakesurfers than wakeboards last year... weird, huh?

The problem doesn't lie in these threads, but in the droves of people who flocked to wakesurfing after it became trendy to own a wakeboard boat. Just give it two years, and the people who are clueless about ruining the butter will have sold their boats and forgotten about wakesurfing entirely... in favor of their new Wake Kite. HAHA.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-13-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
Wow, haven't clicked on this thread for awhile. Boy has it grown. Good stuff, though I'm sure it's largely preaching to the choir as people reading this already know what is up. This topic is timely as our local lake is exploding with surfers, including a new crew on our local lake that rolls out at dawnbreak for the surf sessions. Cowabunga.

Jason G may have nailed it...though, I've heard from several windsurfers (incompatible) that kiteboarding (compatible) ruins it for them for much the same reason people bag on surfers (takes up more room, more wallies, more dangerous, etc.). Though I always try to be respectful, there are times when a fisherman is in the only good line, he was there first, and it's "tough luck, buddy" because we're compatible with you! Now I'm the fisherman!

Now that I am doing the semi-incompatible activity, which sort of sucks, I guess I just hope the surfers attempt to be respectful and somewhat smart about their fun (powerturns, straight lines, stick to your side of the lake, etc.). A few boats working together on the same line w/ no powerturns = compatibility (to a large extent) for everyone (skiers, surfers, wboarders, etc. even fisherman if they don't troll into our line). A few boats, regardless of the activity, not working together = lake ruined. Unfortunately, at our local lake, this is apparently asking too much.
Old    supraguy            07-13-2009, 12:36 PM Reply   
WOW daybreak wake surfing LOL don't get me wrong I enjoy wakesurfing once and a while, but I am frist and for most a WAKEBOARDER I will be as long as my body holds up. I am 35 and still go big everytime I ride, I ride at 80ft and am pushing my self all the time. That being said I have a theroy on why wakesurfing is so big, It's has almost zero injury factor and any one can do it, wakeboarding is not like that. All you wakers and wakeskaters know what I mean. I would much rather wakeskate than surf but if the water is lame and I want to be on the water than I will surf, other than that I wake or skate and don't plan on slowing down anytime soon, and incase your wondering I have had my share of injurys and have a family my wife and kid help push me to ride and if I get hurt and can't work oh well we will figure it out and go on with life. To me life is more inportant than any house car....

LIVE FOR NOW
Old     (pacifichigh)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-13-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
Wakesurfing- "For when you're just too drunk to wakeboard"
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-13-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
You're mostly right Supraguy, I personally don't wakeboard much anymore because my body is beat up from 12 years of living in Tahoe & Snowbird and hucking myself off the biggest objects I could find. I'm at the point where I can still physically do the tricks I want but my knees pay the price for it every time. I've already had 1 reconstructive surgery and can't afford another thanks.

Fast forward a few more years and here I am. Still wanting to play but smart enough to not write checks my body can no longer cash.....so I'm wakesurfing and I'm doing it whenever or wherever I want. That doesn't mean I'm not practicing proper etiquette. I assure you I have as much respect for my fellow boaters as anyone in this thread. (or more seeing that I'm not telling anyone what is and isn't "allowed")

(Message edited by CAskimmer on July 13, 2009)
Old     (juiced4ever)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-14-2009, 1:28 PM Reply   
BCH (brhanley);
Hahaha, I was wondering if that new surf crew we saw yesterday was gonna be brought up in here anywhere.