Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (foilboy)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-23-2008, 8:10 PM Reply   
I decided to change my own oil since the dealer said no problem warranty wise.
Warmed it up, pumped out the old oil and tried to take off the filter. Ha Ha it wouldn't budge.
I tried 3 different oil filter wrenches. Still would not move. Tried the old screw driver through the can method and the can just ripped.
I had to drill holes between the stock holes in the base of the old filter. After 5 hours of cussing,sweating and drilling i finally got it off.
I just want to thank the Ahole at Indmar that put my filter on so damn tight. It is supposed to be hand tight you jackass!
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-23-2008, 8:13 PM Reply   
Hence, DIY is the only way to go for simple routine maintenance!
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-23-2008, 8:20 PM Reply   
wow
Old    nwwakerider            04-23-2008, 8:34 PM Reply   
bob that sucks. had a similar problem with an acura rsx. i feel your pain
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-23-2008, 8:35 PM Reply   
same here with our 08 corolla. How do they put them on at the factory?
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-23-2008, 8:46 PM Reply   
i've had my good share of ripped oil filters. they make a special tool for when you rip off the can. its called a spanner wrench i think. its has 2 metal studs that go in those little holes that you drilled between. lucky for me the last time i had a can crush the snap on tool guy came by the shop. he probably saved me a couple hours of time.
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-23-2008, 8:58 PM Reply   
Let me guess, was that a pennzoil filter. I work for a chevy dealer and we use pennzoil filters and they stick 70% of the time. Those filters are junk. Never had to cut one up that bad.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-23-2008, 9:03 PM Reply   
Good god that had to have been a biotch to do. I can only imagine how long that would hve taken on my boat.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-23-2008, 9:08 PM Reply   
Bob, do you wipe some old oil on the filter gasket of the new filter before you put it on?
Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-23-2008, 9:09 PM Reply   
I had the same issue with my fuel filter canister last year. I tried everything I could to get it off, and it would not budge. Unfortunatly I can't tear it up to get it off. I passed on changing the filter last year, and I am dreading it this year. Any great ideas?
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-23-2008, 9:19 PM Reply   
big chanellocks or if you have room to do it a pipe wrench is worthy too.
Old     (hype29)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-24-2008, 6:46 AM Reply   
Man, that sounds like something that would happen to me. that sucks
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-24-2008, 7:03 AM Reply   
Make absolutely sure that you get off any of the old gasket from the filter base before you put on the new filter or you WILL get an oil leak.

The exact same thing happened the first time I changed the oil filter in my boat. I resorted to taking a small hammer and chisel and chiseling away the gasket. It was hard to do because of the lip around the filter base but it was only 2 hours instead of 5 :-)
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-24-2008, 7:07 AM Reply   
I have a large oil filter wrench that looks like a set of chanellocks with lots of teeth and fairly wide. Works like a champ on crap like this, pretty sure I got it a local Shucks or Napa type joint years ago.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-24-2008, 7:40 AM Reply   
Are you sure it was a lefty loosy, righty tighty issue? Hahaha...just kidding.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       04-24-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
my wife expects everything I say will take 30 min to take 5 hours. That totally sucks though, make sure you do it yourself and then next year if we see this thread from you again we are allowed to give you some S$*t
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-24-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
Been there as well on my first oil change of the "new to me" boat. When the screwdriver through the filter didn't work I went with a pry bar as it had more surface area (resulting in less cutting through the filter) I had to put it all the way through both sides of the filter to get a solid enough grip, then I put an extension on it for leverage. Man that was a freaking mess!

Glad to hear you got it off and fixed.
Old     (trainwreck)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-24-2008, 9:20 AM Reply   
Is it normal for the inside of the filter to be that dirty? Thats crazy!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-24-2008, 9:26 AM Reply   
Been there too just not to that extent. First oil change on my boat me an 2 buddy's F'n with it before a ride. 3 beers each and an hour later we finally got it off. Do they have robots putting these things on or something?
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-24-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
A spanner wrench is actually a tool for doing R&P work on an axle. However I can see where it would be handy in a situation like this. I feel your pain on the overtightened filters, have to deal with them alot, no fun. I've never seen one take that much work though!!!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-24-2008, 10:43 AM Reply   
Spanner wrenches of many flavors are used for all kinds of things. Sometimes it can help to shove a screwdriver through the sides of the filter to turn it.

Pennzoil filters are just yellow Fram filters, which is the cheapest crap on the market.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-24-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
"I just want to thank the Ahole at Indmar that put my filter on so damn tight. It is supposed to be hand tight you jackass!"

Sorry Bob but that's hilarious!
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-24-2008, 12:52 PM Reply   
Where's the blood! Same thing happened to someone I know but by the time he was done it looked like a crime scene.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-24-2008, 6:57 PM Reply   
I thought this post was about some people I work with...
Old    mendo247            04-24-2008, 7:53 PM Reply   
Man i feel your pain! Been there done that. Luckily the screw driver through the can trick has always solved the problem for me as a last resort.