Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-16-2010, 8:53 PM Reply   
I am in the market for a new wakeboard but I'm looking for something several family members could possibly use.

My son, my wife and I all currently share the same board.

It is a 2007 136 Witness.

http://www.wakeworld.com/products/in...detail&p=56263

I have heard that this is a fairly aggressive board and see that it has great reviews.

My son is 16 years old, about 5' 10" and 150 lbs. He is the primary rider and I would say he is at a intermediate level.

My wife is very much a beginner and just rides for fun. I would give her credit and say she has aspirations off jumping and possibly clearing the wake someday. She is about 5’ 6” and 165 lbs.

I am basically a beginner as well. I just started clearing the wake this fall. I am about 5’ 8” and 170 lbs.

We are all used to riding the Witness and don’t have any experience with any other board. I would rather stick with a board that won’t hold my son back and would be something my wife and I would grow into or just get used to.

However, he may just continue to use the Witness and we would use the new board?? But I think he is due for a new board so I would like to get this mainly for him.

Any suggestions??
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-16-2010, 9:25 PM Reply   
IMO, get something in the 138 range of your sons choice. If you guys(wife and you) are novice riders anything of date and size should do just fine. Since your son is the one really riding the most., maybe gear something toward him more. 138 would due for all of you.

You cant go wrong with a 138 LF watson. But if your looking for something a little different consider a 3 stage, maybe a 138 ronix one? I have spent a lot of time on the watson and the one, personally, I absolutely love the one
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-16-2010, 9:31 PM Reply   
FJK,

I would like to throw in a vote for the '09 or '10 Ronix Viva. Everybody I've ever put on it has absolutely loved it. It's got a hybrid rocker, which really gives you versatility when it comes to what you want to do with it. The board can pop vertically with a nice easy progressive edge, or absolutely rocket and boost you well into the flats easily if you want it to. Very versatile and forgiving on the pop. The clean bottom shape also allows for really smooth landings without any drag at all. It's fin configuration is nice in that it can be locked in for riders who are more comfortable with a bit more grip, but can very easily be broken loose for buttering around and playing. The rounded rail in the belly also contributes to forgiveness and this buttering ability. I've absolutely loved mine, and definitely would recommend it. It's a board that you won't have to learn to ride but at the same time, you definitely won't outgrow it. Definitely would recommend checking it out. Plus you can pick one up for a pretty solid price being a year or two out.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-17-2010, 3:17 AM Reply   
There's nothing wrong with the witness, its a very high performer (just look at Ben Greenwood). Really an awesome shape.

Since you have no other experience with boards and you're going to have all sorts of different recommendations from this post, maybe find a way to demo a few different types of boards?

I highly recommend the Ronix Bill. Super fun forgiving board to play around on and learn but also a high performer. You could all ride the 138.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       11-17-2010, 4:39 AM Reply   
Since your son is the primary rider, i would give him the reins on this and see what he would like in a board. See what his style and likes are and start from there. Theres definatly a board out there for you guys
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-17-2010, 5:03 AM Reply   
My middle aged boy has a 2008 130 LF Watson (the youngest has a Hyperlite 108 Motive). The oldest has never ridden the the Watson, I think it would be too small for him.

I should have mentioned that we have no way to demo boards. There aren't any shops around here yet alone some place we could demo gear.

I think I would like to stay along the same lines as the Witness that he has. How would it compare to the Watson? His Witness is just getting a little beat up after three years of use. And I think my wife and I need something a little bit bigger anyway which is why I am looking for something new.

Thanks
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-17-2010, 5:57 AM Reply   
maybe you could send your son to a wakeboard camp. there they will have many boards for him to try. they could also give you professional help to progress his riding. they have one and two day schools available.the wakeboard camp in clermont florida is one of many in the orlando area.good luck
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-17-2010, 6:17 AM Reply   
138 Absolute
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-17-2010, 7:08 AM Reply   
We use the CWB Faction 138 as the board for newbies, girls and others who don't have their own board. Its a great board for all level of riders, very consistent, good pop and soft landings. You can look around online and find some good deals on close outs and Faction packages. You won't be disappointed!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-17-2010, 9:16 AM Reply   
I also ride the Faction, and can't agree more with what Chuck said.

I'll give advice in a different direction though. The board you guys have should be fine, it is a good shape. It might be a bit small for your son as he progresses and gets bigger. What I would say is get him a good pair of boots that will not hold him back. Get a pair that fits him exclusively and watch his riding progress. If you guys are all using the same boots, he is getting short changed on that front.
Old     (mikef9844)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-17-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
I don't suggest the Watson for everyone to use. I ride the Watson and it seems 1 out of 10 times if I don't hit the wake just right I get bucked weird but that's just me. It has a 3 stage rocker that could be harder to get used to coming off the witness. I actually rode the witness and loved it way more than my Watson and am thinking about getting one next.
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-17-2010, 2:30 PM Reply   
OK, I am confused.

Steveo8290 said
Quote:
if your looking for something a little different consider a 3 stage
Mikef9844 said
Quote:
I ride the Watson and it seems 1 out of 10 times if I don't hit the wake just right I get bucked weird but that's just me. It has a 3 stage rocker that could be harder to get used to coming off the witness.
But I though the Witness is a 3-Stage rocker?? From the board spec page
Quote:
Three stage, hybrid rocker-Straighter curve through center with accelerated kick out the tips smooth transitions into the tail section for a higher trajectory off the wakes.
Granted, it says hybrid but isn't it still a 3-stage rocker? How is the Witness different from the others, or is it?

I wish I had the ability to demo boards or go to a school but that isn't in the picture right now. I have three boys and I can't favor one over the others and school for 3 is just too much money...It is hard enough just keeping them geared up properly.

Yes, the plan would be to get a new set of boots with this board. His feet are bigger than mine...He would be the only one that gets to use the new boots, so they would stay conformed to his feet. The current boots on the Witness would be for my wife and I and any guests we happen to have along.

Thanks for all the replies and info, please keep them coming.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-17-2010, 5:52 PM Reply   
Something with a continuous rocker or hybrid rocker would be best considering your circumstance (not being able to demo and sharing the board)
HYBRID ROCKER - I think we can be safe to say that anything that is NOT labled as "continuous," "three stage," or "abrupt three stage" will be ultimately classified as "hybrid." 3 stage boards and abrupt 3 stage boards (3 stage on steroids) have a flat spot the width of the belly of the board and have agressive/bucking style of pop for a wake to wake style. continuous boards are the opposite extreme and have a less steap trajectory of pop and air. some say continuous is more predictable too. all other rocker styles try to find the middle ground of both worlds. MOST boards today are going to be hybrids of some sort. names like "subtle three stage" for example

IF the majority of your family likes the idea of a board "kicking" off the wake a little more aggressively then your current ride go 3 stage, otherwise stay with the suggestion to get hybrids or continuous rocker.

138 cwb faction for under $200 shipped here for limited time. the faction is continuous rocker. has a nice center spine for breaking the water on impact for softer landings
http://boardersbestbuy.com/
^^^ this web site changes daily for a limited deal. also anothersmokingdeal.com is related to this site and is simmilar in function. feel free to look around elsewhere and for different boards. just thought id point this out