Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-05-2004, 12:05 AM Reply   
In my previous post over the past couple days (Ouch!!), I mentioned my abdominal injury, and posted pics (promise, no more update photos!). After thinking about how this happened, I was assuming it was mainly because I am an old fart-weekend warrior, with out of shape abs. Then I remembered the faceplant, and realized I never came out of the bindings. I am assuming this probably had a lot more to do with the injury than my physical condition. Most other times I have always come out on a foreward fall.

My question is this: Has anyone else had a similar injury, and was the mechanism the same (bindings not releasing).

I don't think I had them real tight, but I have only had them a few weeks, and may have snugged them down a bit more than normal (you can bet I won't do that again!). They have released on other falls with no problem. Maybe this time was just a fluke.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-05-2004, 8:24 AM Reply   
Hey Buzzz. I saw the pics of your abs, I really hope you went to a Doc or at least feel confident that you did not tear a hole in your abdominal wall.

I hurt my abs in June. I basically attribute it to being in a somewhat overextended position and then tensing up when you fall. Kind of like hanging on a bar with a board strapped on, then jerking the board up as hard as you can. My entire stomach was sore one weekend and then I strained it bad the next. I was in a sort of sitting position when I was falling, and jerked my knees in toward me, that's when it hurt real bad, but I kept going anyway, the water was gooooood. My feet were still in the boots.

I blame myself for not being in better shape as well. The ab thing hurt like hell and I strained a muscle deep inside, no bruising though. My back is a bit tweaked from snowboarding falls, so I should be training a bit more so I don't get injured like this.

Wakeboarding, the cause and solution to most of life's problems. Or was it alcohol?? Or was I drinking after boarding??
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-06-2004, 1:28 AM Reply   
Flux,

Yea, I went to the doc. I would have anyway, but I had to under force from the 5 EMT's and one nurse on my boat that day.

This happened early in the day, and I did not want to ruin everyone's day. I ended up going to the hospital that night, about 13 hours after the injury. Like I said, I had my medical staff on board. I was also keeping cold on it (the cold beer I had in my hand constantly that day). Kinda my version of an ice pack.

He said there was a significant strain/possible tear, but there was no herniation. Gave me Vicodin. Said to rest up, and take it easy, like I have a choice now.

My main concern is that now I am thinking the main cause of this could have been the fact that I never came out of the bindings. I am sure I could be in better shape also.

I was hoping to get more response from others as far as possible problems or other injuries when the bindings do not release. Flux, thanks for your input. Hope the abs are doing better. I am pretty concerned about a re-occurence. The doc said once you do this, you can have it happen again pretty easily, so you have to be really careful. I plan on that, and also getting into better shape. I will not be riding for probably 6-8 weeks. Bummed for sure!!!!

I promised no more photos, but I lied. Really, this is the last one. Taken 4 days after the crash.

Thanks again Flux
Belly
Old    essy            08-06-2004, 1:44 AM Reply   
geez buzz, looks like the "scorched forest" is spreading! Are you sure that there's no internal injury to the organs?

BTW, where do i keep seeing 2 belly buttons?!
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-06-2004, 2:06 AM Reply   
2? Hold on, let me check. Hmmm. Yep, just one. Must me a patch of fuzz or something. Imagine that!

No injury to the organs. No blood coming out if you know what I mean. I know it looks like I got hit with a baseball bat, and that would probably have caused damage further underneath. This is all surface muscle pull. Besides the bruising, there is a good amount of swelling and fluid build-up. I have a little jelly roll now (more that I had before anyway). Hope it goes away soon.

OK everyone. Sorry for all the wild brush. Kind of distorts my nice new tattoo underneath. Maybe I will get that body wax soon. I was told I should ask for a "Brazilian".