Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-20-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
So I am getting ready to move from San Diego to Salt Lake City in about a month. How far do you guys go to ride in the winter? I am gonna be pretty depressed the day I winterize my boat!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       10-20-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
Victor ~~ Most people are hanging up their gear as we speak. There's a few of us that ride till the lakes freeze. Our last session of the 2009 year was on Dec. 27th... o was that cold. Generally we ride to mid to late Nov and call it quits till next season. I don't ride snow but it will keep your mind off riding when the lake is frozen.
What parts are you moving to? It's a great place to live and a ton of riding spots!
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-20-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
yeah that's what I figured. How early does the season start? I am not opposed to buying a dry suit and riding as soon as the lakes thaw! I am guessing you get some glassy water in those first couple months! haha

I am moving to the Midvale area for work. I keep hearing about how awesome the area is. It is going to be tough to leave San Diego, but the change should be fun for sure! I grew up in CO and have done quite a bit of snowboarding.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       10-20-2010, 2:34 PM Reply   
Ya bro, plan on investing in a drysuit and extend your season. Riding late and riding early we don't get to crazy, just ride to get the mussels back and get the body ready for the abuse when the drysuits come off. You can always make yourself sick by watching this camera during the day and see how nobody is there, this lake is about 30 - 40 minutes from you http://livelakeview.com/lakes/deercreek/ Man we get the best water this time of the year! We have a pretty solid winter crew of 3 and would be happy to bring a 4th on.
Midvale is a good area, well it has it's bad spots to. I'm just west of you in West Jordan, my buddie that I ride with is like 5 min from my house and then depending on the lake we can be on the water in 20 - 60 depending on what drive we make. He snowboards a ton and I just sit and get fat all winter.
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-21-2010, 8:01 AM Reply   
Alright sweet I will check into drysuits today! Do you have any suggestions for brands? It is definitely good to know there are some other hardcore guys up there! All my buddies in Colorado packed up their stuff about a month ago. What do you guys usually ride behind? I have a Sanger V210 that i will be bringing up there. I am pretty stoked now!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       10-21-2010, 8:27 AM Reply   
I would look into the Oneal Boost drysuit, it's baggy and you can fit any kind of clothing under it to stay warm.
Mainly we ride behind my buddies 02 Super Air but we have a ton of others we ride with also. Nobody with a Sanger though! UT has a pretty good scene and thank god it dies down after the big holiday. We get out and yes it's chilly but damn do we get some epic water most of the time. If your into riding you just might fit in. Also check out www.wakeutah.com for updated info and wake events going on.