Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-05-2011, 12:55 PM Reply   
I am looking at getting anther boat. I came across a 98 malibu sunsetter lx and wondered if there are any things I need to look for? I know the boat has close to 500 hrs on it and the interior and carpet is new. My experience with older boats and rot I know I want to stay newer than 93 for all fiberglass. Are the floors still wood or did they make those fiberglass as well? thanks for any input

Nick
Old     (lanzo)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-05-2011, 1:44 PM Reply   
Nick, that boat is all fiberglass. The only wood is the ski platform. There should be nothing that can rot.

I had the same boat. 500hrs is about right for the age of the boat.

By 98, all of the Sunsetters should have fuel injection. The best engine is the Monsoon, but the standard EFI engine is also OK.

Probably has the older Wedge - makes the wake steep. My preference with that boat is to run without the wedge and as much weight as you are comfortable with. The Wedge helps a lot for surfing. Also a great ski boat if you are into that.

Great boat and great hull. Can't go wrong with a Sunsetter LX.

Just sold mine - had it for 10 years. Solid boat. I ran the ACME 525 and the boat was super smooth.

Good luck.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-05-2011, 1:48 PM Reply   
My 2000 BU Wakesetter VLX had no wood. Not sure of the 98.

But, watch out for boats with the "diamond" hull. Boat with this hull are hard to sink so their wakeboard wake suffers while their ski wake is better.

For example, the 2000 BU Sunsetter VLX has a diamond hull which sucked for wakeboarding but was better for skiing.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-05-2011, 4:38 PM Reply   
I have the 1997 Sunsetter LX, there is no wood on the boat. The ONLY structural problem I have experienced is the removeable floor panel between the engine compartment and the fuel tank, I do not believe it is wood, but on the corners it is "soft". I plan to order a new one from malibu. Maye it is some sort of fiberglass wrapped wood board? But the malibu brochure from 1997 says "all fiberglass construction"

Mine has the Monsoon 320 hp engine, with multi port fuel injection, PLENTY of power with 2500 lbs ballast and 4 people + coolers, dual batteries, 3 amps, sub... and other random gear. I replaced my engine at 1160 hours due to previous owner pinching the gasket on the oil filter, the boat itself has 1260 on it now... and works great!!

one minor thing that really annoyed me was the inconsistant speedo problems due to the air guide pitot tube, this was 100% taken care of when i installed the new "pass through" style pitot tubes, one other thing to look at.

Check themalibucrew.com they have some info on there showing pics of how to distinguish between the sv23 and diamond hull.

oh.... and mines for sale ;-)
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-05-2011, 7:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddad View Post
My 2000 BU Wakesetter VLX had no wood. Not sure of the 98.

But, watch out for boats with the "diamond" hull. Boat with this hull are hard to sink so their wakeboard wake suffers while their ski wake is better.

For example, the 2000 BU Sunsetter VLX has a diamond hull which sucked for wakeboarding but was better for skiing.
Diamond Hull came out in 2001, not 2000.

Further, it is great for wakeboarding. Takes slightly more weight than a Wakesetter, but they can throw down really good wake too. I actually think the Diamond Hull is preferable as it is more versatile.

Here is how you tell the difference between the two:
http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...s-wake-hull-r9
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-05-2011, 9:24 PM Reply   
Sunsetter LX=wake hull
Sunsetter LXi=diamond hull

Last edited by polarbill; 09-05-2011 at 9:28 PM.