Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-01-2011, 12:45 PM Reply   
Just wanted to share some pics of my install. It's not nearly as extravagant as many installs I've seen posted on WW, but I'm happy with it. The boat is a Baja style boat we use to go hang out at the cove on, so no tower speakers. I did it all myself and this is my first full install. I learned about the specifics of the boat audio portion from Wakeworld...so thanks to WW and the helpful members!

I got a killer deal on the older series Exile Amps. A guy in Florida had a brand new X800.4 that was used as display model, and I found the X2400.1 locally. I spent $430 for both amps.

I connected (8) Exile SX65's to the 800.4. I used 12ga wire from monoprice. I was amazed at how loud and clear they sound on the 800.4. Out on the boat you can turn it up until it hurts your ears and is uncomfortable to listen too, but most surprising is that it will get to that point before distorting/clipping.

I built the sub box with 23/32 Arauco Plywood. I did a lot of research on the type of wood to use for the box. Arauco is a whole hell of a lot lighter than MDF and much stronger. It's not as strong as Baltic Birch, but close, and lighter too. I fiberglass resin'd the box inside and out and internally braced it. The box is 3.25^ft net and tuned @ 35hz....port and sub firing at the hull.

For the sub I bought a custom built Sundown Z 15 v2 dual 2 ohm and the new v3 soft parts which a member on caraudio.com builds. (He's friends with the owner of Sundown). I decided to go with this sub since it has a good blend of SQ and SPL, it likes smaller boxes, and it has a high sensitivity rating...meaning it will get loud on less power. It's rated at 1500 watts RMS, and like every sub from sundown it's rated very conservatively. The output of the sub on the Exile 2400 is absolutely ridiculous. I read of few tests on this sub and it hit 149.9db on 1420 watts, I'm curious what I'm hitting with around 1800 watts. I'd really like to see how it compares to a couple of the overrated (IMO), inefficient, but ultra popular JL W7's.

For the batteries I used a 2 Trojan J305-AC's 6v's and I recessed them in the boat with a battery box I made. I played the stereo on and off for about 5 hours and the batteries were still going strong. I cut the ring connectors off the Prosport 20 battery charger and wired them directly to the battery terminals. I installed some vents in the front of the enclosure and fans in the back sucking the hot air out.

I have more work to do on tuning...tuning is a headache unless you have a ton of experience

Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-01-2011, 12:53 PM Reply   
Any pics of the amps after the seat was installed?
What did you do for water proofing and cooling?
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-01-2011, 12:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowwboy View Post
Any pics of the amps after the seat was installed?
What did you do for water proofing and cooling?
No, but I can take some later when I get home. I installed a plexiglass sheet over the entire cavity and vents in the front with filters, and fans in the back pulling the air through.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       06-01-2011, 1:48 PM Reply   
Seems like a great install! I would love to hear one of those subs!
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-01-2011, 5:43 PM Reply   
Looks good, but where you think you are done, I bet you'll soon find your just getting started!

I've re-done my stereo every year, and still think of things to change and tweak throughout the season!
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-01-2011, 7:05 PM Reply   
lol...guess you're right...I've decided to replace the 4ga power and ground for the 2400.1 with 0ga...

I don't want to put a ton of money in it since I want to get a nice wakeboard boat in a few years, but I don't know how I'll part with this one. It has a 454 with cam work and side exhaust...it sounds so sexy
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       06-01-2011, 7:16 PM Reply   
nice work...
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-02-2011, 7:00 AM Reply   
Another view of the sub box...to the left
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-02-2011, 7:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNvisible View Post
nice work...
Thanks bro. How did those XXX's work out for you? I would think you'd get more output with those than the JL's

How was the water level at Travis? We ended up sticking to Canyon which is close to me. I didn't want to venture too far from home since it was the maiden voyage with the new stereo. We're definitely going to be at Devils Cove on the 4th.
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       06-02-2011, 7:27 AM Reply   
xxx's pound. my install wasnt quite done, so i elected not to rush it and just go with factorykitted on his boat...I should have it this weekend, i'll update the pictures in my thread for the haters

water level on travis is about as low as I will tolerate... if we dont see big rain between now and the 4th, i'll probably stay on lake austin.