Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (wsmr)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-05-2008, 3:50 PM Reply   
So i was wondering who everyone thought has the best overall riding style?

i just saw a couple clips of Keith Lyman on his website and he was only going w2w!? but, he still makes everything look so sick!
Old     (mnwake45)      Join Date: May 2005       10-05-2008, 3:54 PM Reply   
I for one love Ben Greenwood and Keith Lyman, they are just so fun to watch, they just make everything look so smooth and Keith goes huge. Whenever I buy a new wake video, whether or not one of those two is in it makes or breaks the deal for me.
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-05-2008, 4:00 PM Reply   
Ben greenwood though I kinda like Shanes style too
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-05-2008, 4:11 PM Reply   
This is such a hard question for me because there's so many riders out there that bring something so unique to the table.... all of the riders below all bring something to the table, and these are just a few that come to mind...

Randall Harris: Intensity and amplitude. He just goes massive, but also adds his own flair to inherently stylish movies. His DRIVE section was awesome to watch. His first trick the Stalefish to Blind off the wake was the biggest I've ever seen.

Benny Greenwood: I love the deliberate nature of his riding. There is never a question of "Did he mean to do that?" He rides so smoothly and sells everything. Poked out HS front? Yup.

Lyman: Big gutsy, rides with much of the same mentality as Harris. Take it big! His wake to rail gap also showed that he's in an innovator and wants to expand the sport's horizons.

Oli DeRome: Just a note, but when i was at Nationals this year, he hit the kicker, threw a HUGE raley and pointed at the crowd while extended... everybody loved it, and i think that fun loving nature really is something that i think can be overlooked when it comes down to a style category.

Rusty, Ruck, Rathy, Ricky G, SOB, Chris O, Murray, Byerly, Colin Harrington, Parks, Shane, every one of those guys is awesome, but my vote goes to Danny Harf.

He's been able to toe that line between a rider who is fun to watch and who can clean house in a competition. He's just fun to watch, Ad-libbing throughout his run. Big tricks, and technical ability. A 1260? Yup. TS BS Overturned, grabbed 180? Yup. Something unique I saw was his tow in session in Drive. Just something unique that not many pay attention to. It's really a cool thing to see somebody who excels in every aspect of wakeboarding. Amplitude, Technicality, Control, Drive, and ability to change tricks to how he wants them done speaks style to me. thats why Danny's got my vote.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-05-2008, 4:17 PM Reply   
i actually had the opportunity to ride with lyman and benny G when i was at the wakeboard camp...no doubt they are the style masters, they grab everything and poke everything and make everything they do look fun and easy, which is what wakeboarding is about.

They told me, if it doesnt look good, you wont have fun doing it, and if you dont have fun doing it, dont do it

not only do they execute their legendary style, but they pass it on. thats why they are the masters
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-05-2008, 4:28 PM Reply   
No question Randall, Ricky G, Kieth, all legends in WSR, Benny G, Shane, Rathy, Danny, all have different inspirations that drive the youth and haven't really effected new pros, WSR seems to have been around longer, thats why I have to give it to Randall, because every new style seems to derive from his in some way or another.
Old     (mrboston187)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-05-2008, 5:38 PM Reply   
Shaun Murray.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-05-2008, 5:49 PM Reply   
watson is #1 for sure

shane on rails

jeff house

Heather Johnson is super steeeeeezy

I do NOT like Benny G's style... something about it just looks weird to me.
Old     (jpg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-05-2008, 5:51 PM Reply   
ben,shane,watson,jd,lucas,keith,chad,harf
Old     (ntkamper)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-05-2008, 6:01 PM Reply   
NICK DAVIES
watson
Old     (the_bum)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-05-2008, 6:22 PM Reply   
Dean Smith!
Old     (coyotesexual)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-05-2008, 7:00 PM Reply   
Travis Propst
Jeff House
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       10-05-2008, 7:07 PM Reply   
Mike Schweene has that sick west coast style, Randall, benny G, and tino santori are all dope but a step behind Schweene in style
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-05-2008, 7:32 PM Reply   
Lyman, Rusty, Watson, Jeff House, Dean Smith... much more!
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-05-2008, 8:23 PM Reply   
Benny G and Lyman!!! I can watch their sections in the videos I've got everyday.
Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-05-2008, 8:43 PM Reply   
Rusty should in no way be included in that. He just hucks everything, hes a sick rider but common style no.

Read that old alliance style article and that about sums it up. The guys who wrote that article are why wakeboarding is cool.
Old     (browntrout)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-05-2008, 9:14 PM Reply   
hmmmmmmm
well i think i might just have to say mr vandall for that one my good friends
watching his section in drive the first b.s 180 was one of the biggest things i have ever seen like wooow.
and next uhhhh mr greenwood
just how he pokes his grabs just everything he does is poked i dont think he does one trick that he does not poke. you think the dude has been in karote with that poke he kicks it like f in bruce lee mooooo haha

well good day
Old     (pogi)      Join Date: May 2006       10-05-2008, 9:14 PM Reply   
I like Dean Smith, Lyman, Greenwood, and the Vandall, but I've yet to see a rider more stylie than Gregg Necrasson was when he was on top of his game. A lot of you younger riders probably don't even know who he is. Do yourself a favor and get your hands on Wide Awake. Its an old Liquid Force VHS. He opens his section with a double grab hs fs 180 that is one of the sickest tricks I've ever seen and its a simple hs fs 180. His backside spins are the styliest as well. He goes so far out the back.
Old     (acerock88)      Join Date: May 2008       10-05-2008, 9:44 PM Reply   
Watson all the way. I have never seen him do a trick that didn't look good. Necrasson is up there as well, but my vote is for Watson.
Old     (canadian_waterboy)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-05-2008, 10:20 PM Reply   
I think rusty has a ton of style. First off, his huge nuclear glides are one of a kind. I watched him pull one over the start dock at wakestock 07... definitely one of the ballsiest tricks I've ever seen. Second, the guy rides with so much power. I think there is a lot to be said about riders who not only can land their tricks, but can stomp the of them.

(Message edited by canadian_waterboy on October 05, 2008)
Old     (kampus96)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-05-2008, 10:44 PM Reply   
greg nelson.
Old     (bigjokerinthebox66)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-05-2008, 11:01 PM Reply   
W2W: Benny G and Murray.

Sliders: Henshaw and Shane
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-06-2008, 5:55 AM Reply   
obviously Keith lyman and benny g are the first two that pop into my head when talking about style but recently i've been into jeff house' style of riding also rathy brings something else to the table...to see him ride in person Is incredible just to see someone with that much drive and energy on the water is vey iinspiring
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-06-2008, 7:01 AM Reply   
Benny G
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-06-2008, 7:35 AM Reply   
Benny G gets my vote. Sometimes it takes me 15 minutes to get through his video section because I keep rewinding to see the poke again in the middle of a techy spin or something. He's amazing.

Dean Smith also. His poked out HS spins into the flats are awesome.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-06-2008, 7:55 AM Reply   
Rusty's a good rider, but definitely not the style master. everything is powered out and nothing is smooth.

Benny G is always smooth, what I've been seeing of Sean O'Brien lately has been sick, all the Slingshot team makes it look so easy, Jeff McKee, Aaron Aubrey, Hank Carter, Kaeson, etc, and now bob jacques.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-06-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
A lot of really good riders listed here that I totally agree are some of the kings of Style. One Name that I am yet to see pop up is D.Watkins, that guy has some Amazing Style His Roll to Blinds and Japan BS 180 & 360s are so sick!

Lets toss More Unknow Names out there to Like Chris Williams or Robby Carter. I would like to toss Colin Ryan in there as one of the most Stylish Riders I know of as well. His Shifty Spins are out of this world. I am hard at it editing some footy of Colin and me I will toss it up soon!
Old     (wakevb)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-06-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
I agree with a ton of the names already posted. Unfortunately, I haven't had the benefit of seeing a lot of these guys in person, so I am throwing my vote out for Adam Fields. I've seen him ride quite a few contests locally this summer and he just absolutely rips. Super under rated in my opinion.
Old     (jcush313)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-06-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
randall, keith, murray, alberts!
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-06-2008, 9:15 AM Reply   
Joe, great call on Gregg Necrasson. He was my favorite rider when I started...didn't hurt that he designed the LF Trip that I learned on. My first video I bought was Running with Scissors. I still rewatch Gregg's part when I play the vid. Part of 'style' to me is also how they ride as opposed to when they are in the air doing a trick. Example: While Harf is an amazing rider, I don't dig his really bent over approach to the wake...I just think it looks goofy. Personal opinion obviously, but hey...its a discussion board right? :-)
Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-06-2008, 9:20 AM Reply   
Amber wing, watch her section in push process and you'll know what I mean.

Andy- cant wait for the video, you guys always have some sick pictures. Looking forward to the video.

How about Trevor Hansen Chris oshea, to throw a few more names out there.

We got some local riders with a lot of style, a video is coming soon.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-06-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
Necrasson FO SHO...Harf, Ben G., Watson

some locals like Chris Dykmans, Joel Deroche, Brandon George, Ryan Deroche, D. Cook all KILL it. so steezy. they all have a difinitive style that you can see from miles away. SICK
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-06-2008, 9:58 AM Reply   
Jeff would be talking about guys like Lee Wagner. I hadn't really noticed it until he came out and we chaseboated for Gauntlet with him, the guy throws down. He puts his own fun twist on everything he does, it almost looks like he's hopping around while in the air at times. It's sick.

My favorites for style would be Ben Greenwood followed by Watson. I love the way Ben tweaks everything that he does, it just flows and keeps his riding fresh. Watson's riding is sick because everything he does just looks effortless. It's like everything he does seems to just come out perfectly.

Randy Harris is an obvious one though, the way he pokes and tweaks his riding as he takes everything into the flats is sick.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-06-2008, 10:06 AM Reply   
I like JD Webb and Jimmy Lariche watching Jimmy Free ride is sick!
Old     (svt600)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-06-2008, 10:10 AM Reply   
murray gets my vote on style points!

(Message edited by svt600 on October 06, 2008)
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-06-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
i'm gonna give a +1 for Nick Jones too. he came out and rode with us and laid it down a bunch of sick lines...the one that got me was; heel off melan 5, toe off melan 5 both of which were poked WAY up and out, then went nose grab crow mobe and then nose grab skeezer. he takes them both over the top and does the last blind 180 soooo late its ridiculious.
Old     (eyekahn)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-06-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
Lyman, Benny G., Travis Propst, Jeff House, and Nick Joseph.
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-06-2008, 11:24 AM Reply   
I'm going to come at all ya'll so real right now:

Nick Joseph and Clay Martin. And Rusty.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-06-2008, 11:25 AM Reply   
Has anyone said Greg Nelson yet? i don't think anyone spun as smooth as him, and he made grabs look really effortless and natural.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-06-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
This is too complicated of a question to be answered in one thread response. Here's my list of guys I've shot with a tone of style, in no particular order:

Randall Harris
Danny Harf
Shane Bonifay
Parks Bonifay
Keith Lyman
Shaun Murray
Ben Greenwood
Greg Necrasson
Rusty Malinoski
Kevin Henshaw
Darin Shapiro
Chad Shapre
Shawn Watson
Tino Santori
Eric Ruck
Josh Sanders
Jeff Weatherall
Jimmy LaRiche

I could go on for days. But each of these riders IMO adds something unique to their riding that separates them from the others.

But hands down my two favorite riders to shoot/watch are the Vandall and Harf. No question.....
Old     (the_bug)      Join Date: May 2004       10-06-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
Kaesen Suyderhoud - I feel embarassed for rails and boxes after he humiliates them in such a stylish manner.
Old     (deltaratmike)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-06-2008, 9:42 PM Reply   
Greg Nelson and Derek Cook.
Old     (robmcfarland)      Join Date: May 2008       10-06-2008, 9:58 PM Reply   
geesssss, no one has mentioned collin harrington. That guys riding is style.
Old     (pyrosmurf)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-06-2008, 10:11 PM Reply   
Chris... O... 'Shea...
Old     (toddjones320)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-06-2008, 11:56 PM Reply   
Chris O'Shea = method to blind
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-07-2008, 7:29 AM Reply   
Nice to see Chris Williams getting love from Minnesota. That's awesome.

Shame on me for thinking main stream guys only. Chris Williams definitely has one of the sickest styles out there.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-07-2008, 7:31 AM Reply   
I do what I can J-rod!
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-07-2008, 7:58 AM Reply   
W2W Colin Harrington

Going Huge Dean Smith
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-07-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
Benny G. When you can freakishly steeze out spins 5 and 7 the way most people steeze 1s...you get my vote.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-07-2008, 9:10 AM Reply   
Seriously? He actually wasted breath saying that?
Old     (tcaz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-07-2008, 12:30 PM Reply   
gerry nunn anyone? always fun watching his vids, dude goes big.
Old     (woundedknee)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-07-2008, 1:23 PM Reply   
Greg Nelson fer sure
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-07-2008, 5:36 PM Reply   
Vandall
Greenwood
Lyman
Dean Smith
Old     (maestro)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-07-2008, 5:36 PM Reply   
No Lidberg?
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-08-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/633485.html?1223486007
Old    murrayair            10-08-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
Murray's style is, without question, my favorite. Every time I see him in a movie I'm so inspired to go kill it.

Benny G is another one of my favorites. His section in the Butter Effect is up at the top of my list.
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       10-08-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
BEN GREENWOOD .