Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-01-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
Are there any cons to leaving ballast bags full at the end of the day ?
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-01-2007, 12:07 PM Reply   
Yeah, it's crazy if you are going to trailer it.. And it definitely hard on a lift...

SO DRAIN....
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       10-01-2007, 12:23 PM Reply   
I leave the ballast full on the lift occasionally when I am too lazy to drain it, or when we come in from an evening set and know we are going right back out in the morning. I'm not worried about it hurting the lift as the lift is rated for far more than the boat weighs. May not be the best thing for the hull/floor of the boat, but I do it occasionally. It has got to be harder on the boat slamming through a double-up with full ballast than it is sitting on the lift full....?
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-01-2007, 12:23 PM Reply   
Why waste gas hauling 500, 1000 or 2,000 lbs if you don't need to?
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-01-2007, 12:26 PM Reply   
Depending how much weight you have in the boat, your trailer or your tires may not be able to carry the additional weight. Check your weight capacity for your trailer before hand. Like Andy said why waste the gas hauling all the additional weight around... it takes 10 minutes to empty ballast so why not. We never trailer additional weight.
Old    mendo247            10-01-2007, 1:03 PM Reply   
I used to leave mine full all summer long. Only have a couple miles to drive to the lake though, yeah it was probablly a little tougher on the trailer but i figured 1000 lbs wasnt that bad. Torwards the end of the second summer of doing it i did have a bag blow out when we went to drain it though.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-01-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
Busting a bag and not knowing it is my only real concern as of right now I'm only running 650lbs of ballast and I live exactly 6 minutes from the lake
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-01-2007, 1:24 PM Reply   
Then I'd say your good to go... I wouldn't sweat 60 too much especially being that close to your riding spot. Just make sure your auto bilge is on.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-01-2007, 1:28 PM Reply   
Depends on what you are doing with your boat at the end of the day. Mooring - slight increase in risk of taking on water but nothing to worry about without wind or big rollers. Lift is probably OK as long as lift can support extra weight - but you could stress your hull with the extra weight being dispersed on the small surface area of bunks. Trailering bad all the way around: bad for your trailer, bad for your tow vehicle, bad for your boat - more weight now bouncing around on small surface area bunks.

Edit: I didn't see your last post Montgomey.

(Message edited by bmartin on October 01, 2007)
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-01-2007, 1:54 PM Reply   
Put something in (bleach?) to keep the water from going foul if you're going to leave it in. I'm on an Airdock so we leave a couple bags full most of the season, when we do drain...it REEKS (strong sulphur smell). If you have concerns about breaking a full bag, you don't want your boat smelling like old ballast water.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-01-2007, 2:04 PM Reply   
I didn't even think about the stank ass water smell that wouldn't be good . . . This weekend is the 1st time I've left my 350lb bag full I usually only leave my 2 150lb front bags full but this winter I will be building a semi auto ballast system so I guess it wont be much of a problem for very long just until it's too cold to ride . . . . Are the Fly High bags the best for making your own ballast system ?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-01-2007, 2:10 PM Reply   
bleach will break down the plastic/rubber/PVC polypropelyne whatever-the-hell sacs are made of.

And it does STANK like a mofo
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-01-2007, 2:17 PM Reply   
Fly High ProX series are from my experience the most durable and user friendly bags to get for sure. Can't go wrong with em. We just got their V-Drive sacs this summer and love em.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-01-2007, 2:25 PM Reply   
I'll leave mine full over night if I leave it on the bouy but I never trailer it with any ballast.