Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old    choix            08-17-2004, 7:50 AM Reply   
after checking out the LF 2005 bindings, as well as discovering CD bindings, it looks to me like all new wakeboard bindings are becoming more and more like snowboard boots....i, for one, think this is a move in the right direction..
Old    xtremebordgurl            08-17-2004, 7:05 PM Reply   
also, has anyone noticed the Hyperlite 05 add? I can't be certain from the add but it appears as tho Hype is headed in the same direction. I dunno tho I think its a good thing, the LF boots look super comfy.
Old    tcboarder            08-17-2004, 7:34 PM Reply   
personaly i think the new hyperlite stuff is a joke, i really dislike the gothic look on the pro model bindings. but i definaly want to get the roam board so i dont think all of hyperlites stuff is bad.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-17-2004, 8:03 PM Reply   
I can tell you from my recent purchase that the 05 LF alphas are the most comfortable boot I have ever had on my foot. the support is awesome too.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-18-2004, 7:22 AM Reply   
"personaly i think the new hyperlite stuff is a joke, "

blah blah blah blah blah......ride it, then share you opinion.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-18-2004, 7:29 AM Reply   
i love the look of the hyperlite boards (maybe excluding the parks), but the graphics on the 3ds, murray and state are sweet and the era has made that old premier shape (base) look sweet again.

the only gothic things are the parks board and bindings. the rest of the bindings are just pretty classy looking, even if there's not much change to the actual technology
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       08-18-2004, 10:51 AM Reply   
the parks stuff is not gothic by any means its funny reading people calling that gothic. everyones a critic and obviously some people don't know wat gothic is
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-18-2004, 1:26 PM Reply   
Gotta say... I don't know if I'm a fan of the "snowboard" style boots. I like the support they give, but I still think it is really important for a binding to release on a hard fall and I'm not sure that all of the bindings will (My CD bindings for sure wont release if they are laced tight). I've gotten lit up a few times and get a little scared of possible broken ankles and such. Right now I'm riding the trusty old LF Ultra suctions again and am happy to stay with them.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-18-2004, 2:07 PM Reply   
Maybe the binding should release like a snowboard binding..they shgould make it to where it woiuld take a hard fall to do so but if it was atrue snowboard binding they will find a way to do it..it would be easy then to then swim over to the board and snap it back on yor feet..maybe a little less of a face/back plant ??

Maybe not :-)
Old     (wakeboarder2687)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-18-2004, 2:57 PM Reply   
A snowboard binding will not release, at least not the traditional strap style, and I haven't heard of any step-ins that will release. Not trying to shoot you down, just saying. It may be a good idea, but I think most people would not want to have to deal with the extra bulk and weight of a system that would make that possible. By the way, How are the CD bindings? I have never had the chance to see them in person, just wondering what they were like. Thanks
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-18-2004, 3:27 PM Reply   
The binding releasing would be cool until you have to swim to retrieve your board! Maybe they could put a leash on them like a surf board!
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-18-2004, 3:27 PM Reply   
Might be less injuries that way
Old    trickskisrock            08-18-2004, 4:36 PM Reply   
There are already a lot of hard shell releasable bindings being used on waterskis. I have one on both my trick ski and slalom ski. They use a hard shell similar to a roller blade boot with a releasable mechanism which attaches to the heel. Although these wouldn't work very well for wakeboarding because the release is in the wrong direction, a modification of the designs being created by jager sports for ski jumping and trick skiing might be adaptable to wakeboarding due to the use of the plate as the release mechanism.
Old    ricktrav            08-18-2004, 4:45 PM Reply   
i have the cd bindings and most of the time they dont fall of but every now and then they do on hard falls. it's always great fun when you face plant and have to swim back to the surface:-) great bindings though. feet always comfy
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-19-2004, 2:44 AM Reply   
On my previous post a couple weeks ago (ouch!), I mentioned that I tore my abs, mainly because my Transit bindings did not release during a faceplant at about 22mph. Granted, I had only used them a few times, but I think I may have snugged down the laces a bit too much (which I won't be doing again!). They have released properly several times before that (I fall a lot, apparently). Wanna see a pic? Just kidding. I won't put everyone through that again. I really do like the support and comfort, and like I said, they have released fine before. After I heal up, I am going to take a much closer look at the fit and how tight I lace them down. I do not think the "snowboard boot" style had much to do with it, but who knows.
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-19-2004, 5:33 AM Reply   
Just what I want a binding that releases with a leash so I can get knocked out when ti board hits me in the head......
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       08-19-2004, 5:47 AM Reply   
For you guys that work in the board shops, I'm wondering what binding you see is the most popular with your customers?

For me, the LF Ultras are the ultimate binding. Super comfy, easy to get in and out of, and you will come out of them when the forces of a crash dictate that you should come out. Plus I just hate messing with straps, buckles or zippers of any kind on the water. Too much hassle.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-19-2004, 5:59 AM Reply   
leash is a bad idea ,we already swim to get the wakeskate and surf board so if every once in a whilee had to swim to get a wakeboard,no big deal..

the bindings already release on superhard falls but the pull and force it takes to rip todays bindings off cause injuries do to the foot being forced through a laced up ankle part of the binding..

it may not be possible but a release type of snap in binding would be great..

Old     (bigjackamo)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-19-2004, 6:03 AM Reply   
I'm still curious, what kind of snowboard bindings release? Mine don't release.

Also, my experience says that anytime I'm out of my bindings it's a bad thing. I really don't like getting hit in the head by a flying wakeboard. And yes I've had stitches from hitting a wakeboard that came off my feet, and broke a foot by landing on a wakeboard that came off.

No way do I want a binding that releases.
Old    wakecord            08-19-2004, 9:08 AM Reply   
Gotta agree with Phil, when I used to snow-ski I got knocked silly by a ski whirly-birding on a leash after the binding release.

I now like knowing that my snowboard will always be on my feet after a crash. NO current snowboard binding, strap or step-in is designed to release in a fall, to my knowledge.

Worst wakeboarding moment for me was catching the tip going into the wake, flipping over the wake, and looking down just before impact to see only my left foot was still in the Wiley Pros = hyperextended knee.

I cinch my Belmonts down, and strap in. Never had them come off, even in the hardest crashes.

(Message edited by wakecord on August 19, 2004)
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-19-2004, 9:21 AM Reply   
I think the worst case scenario is when one foot comes out of the bindings or a foot comes part way out of the bindings. It seems most of the injuries I hear about are from that. If one foot comes out the leg that is still strapped in has a tendency to buckle in ways it shouldn't. I believe this is the manufacturers intention to create a binding that is extremely difficult to come out of i.e. dual laces or boa system. It is fun to see people use way too big of bindings and come out of the board like an ejection seat on crashes though.
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-19-2004, 9:26 AM Reply   
I agree with Ryan. I always heard you dont want bindings that come off on falls because of the scenario of one foot in and one out and legs twisting up all which ways. It doesnt matter on skis since the feet are independent of each other anyways.

I already feel the pain when one foot is on and one is off the wakeskate. Though it guess it means my skate shoes work!