Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-20-2012, 10:34 AM Reply   
Im going to be keeping my boat outside at the lake we ride at this summer and am going to get a tarp type storage shelter for it. Im about to pull the trigger on this one below from shelters of america. Anybody have any experience with these? Or have any better suggestions? Thanks!

http://sheltersofamerica.com/product...ctid=641&id=31
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-20-2012, 1:07 PM Reply   
These shelters are sold throughout the world. They work well if you anchor it well. Depending on the boat you may need to lower the tower or raise the shelter. They are very tight, so you may have to add a vent to let the air flow through it. Ensure you have it closed when the wind is really blowing or it may suffer damage. Try to set it up in a somewhat protected area.

You should be able to find these on sale for $150 off every few months. If you lived in Canada, Canadian tire has them on sale right now.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-20-2012, 1:18 PM Reply   
ahh, gotta love them, i have had 3 and will never buy one again, the metal ones are so much more worth the money....
Attached Images

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-20-2012, 1:54 PM Reply   
I watched one a friend had turn into a really big kite. LOL
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-20-2012, 1:55 PM Reply   
My advice is, don't do it! I had one for 2 seasons. I tried the PVC pipe footing into the asphalt like the pictures above. I actually put 18" of extra pipe on the legs to lift it where my tower would fit under it without folding it down. It worked pretty well if the wind didn't get over 15mph. Also like the pic above, mine ended up flipped over a fence, torn out of the ground about 3-4 times in those 2 seasons i owned it. Each time was $30 or so in PVC parts at Home depot to fix whatever broke. Keep in mind, I don't live in a very windy area either, but any wind over 20mph will destroy these things. My tarp finally started to tatter and the metal eyelets broke, so the next big storm that came took it down for me for the last time and it went in the dumpster. Waste of $300. My boat now stays outside for 6 months out of the year under a LEGIT cover that gets re-waterproofed every season and for the winter, it goes to a relative's house where the tower is folded and it rests under a nice dry carport. I can't tell any difference in wear/tear vs. putting it under an over-glorified tarp setup.

If you do choose to get one, at least buy a cheap one so you aren't out of pocket too much and if it did work out for your setup, you could upgrade later: http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x...opy-68218.html
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-20-2012, 2:04 PM Reply   
This actually got me curious to see what else was available and northern tool has this canopy that has a METAL frame with tarp over it for $399. It would at least hold up longer than the PVC framing of the ones mentioned above. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6313_200516313
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-20-2012, 2:32 PM Reply   
I used one for years and had it anchored down with tons of cinder blocks. It was also pretty well sheltered by trees and the house. Mine lasted fine, but you get what you pay for with them. If you anchor it good and it is protected from the wind it should work...
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-20-2012, 3:36 PM Reply   
Don't do it. Just get a t top cover (like for a fishing boat) They can be had for around 350 or so and go over the entire tower.
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-20-2012, 4:08 PM Reply   
If you looked at the model he referenced, it is the triple ply with metal pipe frame and 6 anchors. It has survived 50mph winds where we live with no damage. The anchors are a must. The weight of just cinder blocks would not be enough to hold it in high winds.

The all metal structures are nice, but they also need solid anchoring.

The pics of the blown away structures are light-duty. You would be better off with just a hay tarp over your boat.
Attached Images

Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-21-2012, 5:37 PM Reply   
Here is a link to a good shelter on sale in the USA. It is too small for my new boat above. I am considering the 24 or 28' model, or a post and beam addition to the side of my barn. The latter is more expensive, but not that much more. If I didn't have horses, it would fit nicely in my 34'x48' barn.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/ja...campaignId=T9R
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-21-2012, 6:10 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. Ive had the cheaper ones before and this one looks to be a little more heavy duty. Thanks for that link but I want to get something over 20' as my boat is 21'.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-22-2012, 10:54 AM Reply   
I have one very similar, bought at the OC swap meet, paid $250, and it good quality. It came with metal fittings, and I anchored it straight to the concrete. Not one problem. I live in a windy area and have had 60+ mph gusts, no issues