Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old    erlingiii            03-20-2005, 8:07 PM Reply   
I finally have the money to get a new board. I went to the local pro shop to demo a board and of coarse I get the boat salesman helping me instead of someone who knows what they are talking about. HE believes that the number on the board is supposed to match your weight but didn't know why they didn't go past 145. What I ended up with was a 04 Hyperlite temet 143 and temet bindings. I road the board and it was nice, compared to what I have now, but I believe I can get a better board for the money. The bindings where nice and comfy but the tightening wire already broke out of the little twisted knob thing. So my question is fist, keeping in mind this place only caries hyperlite and they are offering me 50% off on all 04 stuff. What bindings would you suggest and, what board. I weigh 150 and I consider myself an intermediate rider, I can do wake to wake toe side and heel and throw some grabs. I am looking for something that will carry me to the advanced level. I am not positive b/c I haven't ridden many boards but I do think a consistent board would be what I prefer. I also think I like a board with allot of pop but I have only ridden my old O’Brian so who knows. What are a few boards maybe like 2 extremes that I can try and figure out which style I like more, or what best fits my style if you can tell what it is from what I provided.
Thank you veryyy much Erling LaSalle
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-20-2005, 9:15 PM Reply   
Maybe
Parks Bindings and either a era or premier.
It all depends on your riding style.
i personaly like the parks bindings because they are spuer comfy and very "flexy". I personaly like the era and premier because it has a subtle 3 stage rocker for some good pop and it also has molded in fins for extra stablity you can also take out the center alluminum fin and rely on the two molded fins for a looser feel! Good luck on your board desicion.

Late-
Zach
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-20-2005, 9:29 PM Reply   
please be more open-minded with your next board purchase. i'm sure you want to make sure you make the right purchase with your hard-earned money. look at other brands. don't limit yourself to hyperlite. there are soooo many other great boards out there, you may be missing out if you look at nothing but hyperlite. trust me when i say, there are other shops in austin that carry brands other than hyperlite.

blindside wolf
doubleup murphy
liquid force substance
liquid force balance
liquid force subjekt
cwb absolute
cwb transcend

keep in mind, "consistent" board 90% of the time, comes from the rider's consistency. make sure you have your fundamentals down, and your board will be consistent.

as for the size of the board, it is related to your weight. the heavier you are, the longer/bigger the board. at 150lbs., you should look into boards in the 134 to 139 range. you can ride smaller or bigger, but if you want to absolutely get it right, make sure you demo before you spend your hard-earned money.

demo...demo...demo! i can't stress it enough...DEMO!

good luck.

disclaimer: please note, i'm not putting down hyperlite. i'm merely stating that there are other options and other boards that may work better.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-20-2005, 10:57 PM Reply   
disclaimer: please note, i'm not putting down hyperlite. i'm merely stating that there are other options and other boards that may work better.

here is a pic of joe and my beloved hyperlite premier...

Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-21-2005, 12:35 AM Reply   
I agree with Joe in that there are other places to get stuff besides the one pro shop that exclusively carries Hyperlite. If you do choose to stick with the Hyperlite 04 stuff, I would also suggest a Premier board. As far as bindings go, I'm a fan of the Byerly. They are snug in all the right places, not just the feet, but also in the ankles. And best of all there are no pressure points. But most of all, get what feels comfortable to you, because we all have different styles of riding and different needs from our boards and bindings.