Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-24-2012, 11:13 AM Reply   
A friend of mine has rented a slip for the summer. He's going to look at a 10,000lb hydrohoist today. It's at a marina pretty far from where his slip will be. He wants to buy it, tow it to the boat ramp that's about half a mile from where the hoist is now, load it on a trailer, drop it at the marina where his slip is, and hook it up. He needs advice on how to move/tow the hoist safely to the boat ramp. Basically, he does not want to unhook it and have it sink to the bottom of the lake. Has anyone done this? I'm out of my element here.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-24-2012, 11:22 AM Reply   
Did something like this the past summer. We strapped a handful of plastic dock floats (big heavy-duty black ones) and high-density foam blocks to the lift so that the motor and everything else would stay dry. We towed it over a mile from the ramp to the dock, and it took a while. One thing to definitely do is make sure the ropes that you are using to tow the lift with are long enough that the prop wash does not hit the lift when you are towing it, we messed this up and we think it slowed us down dramatically (prop wash hitting lift and floats gave us a pull-push effect, slowing us down). Just be sure to use lots of straps, floats, and be patient.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-24-2012, 3:02 PM Reply   
Don't forget to block off the airlines with the tanks filled. If u don't the air will escape out thru the hose and it will sink. happened to the guy that bought my buddies hoist last summer and he had to pay a diver 500 to get it off the bottom.
Old    9Drozd            04-24-2012, 3:20 PM Reply   
Im surprised that the marina that hes buying it from is allowing him to move the lift himself. At our marina we don't allow this, we will remove and load the hoist onto the customers trailer at their expense. We also have to install the hoist in our docks. I know it sounds bad that the customer cant do this him/herself, but on the legal side of things it saves us from some serious headaches. Like others have said, just fully air up the tanks and close the valve. Tow it slow and from the front as to not force water up into the tanks. The holes are usually in the front which is why you'd want to tow it from the front. The lifts arnt that heavy so you could put 2x4s or 2x6s across you boat trailer and ratchet strap it down.
Old    bigdtx            04-24-2012, 3:27 PM Reply   
I bought a hydrohoist a few years ago from a dude off auto trader. I called the local hydrohoist dealer and told him the deal, he picked it up and delivered it the marina - they know all the local marinas of course. Can't remember what I paid - maybe 500.00. Marina installed it in the slip for me. It was a big job, definately something I'd rather leave to somebody who knows what they are doing.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       04-24-2012, 7:45 PM Reply   
1. Plug the air lines
2. Make absolutely sure that it is not going to tip.

Bought a used lift from a guy who towed it from his slip to the ramp. Rollers hit it and it flipped. He then had no choice but to give it the gas and drag it into the shallowest water he could find. From there it took a tow truck to get it out of the water. Luckily he was close enough to the shore to get it somewhere that he could save it. When I installed it I put a boat on both sides to be safe.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-25-2012, 7:58 AM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestions and advice guys. This has been informative. It may make sense to use two boats and tow the hoist between them, while tied to the side cleats. In theory, wouldn't that help ensure that it doesn't flip and keep the lift out of propwash?
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-25-2012, 8:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Thanks for the suggestions and advice guys. This has been informative. It may make sense to use two boats and tow the hoist between them, while tied to the side cleats. In theory, wouldn't that help ensure that it doesn't flip and keep the lift out of propwash?
or tip onto one of the boats.

#pontoons