Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-27-2009, 5:38 AM Reply   
Well i missed the two lower drain plugs on my pcm 454. so time for a new motor....

It currently has square port heads which according to the specs I find for it. Indicate that it's a 7k+ rpm head. I have found a few low mile good complete "peanut port" truck heads which are great for torque and quit pulling around 5k rpm. I know pcm says to keep the motor below 4500 or 4200 and thats all my 650cfm carb will spin a 454.

Was going to try to get some opinions from fellow boarders. Should I clean up a suburban complete motor and be out the door for under a grand? Or rebuild the current set up with a new block for a lil over 2k? Even if I do all the work myself and just farm out the machining on a new long block it'll be 1k in parts/machine work only.

I've had the parts guy at scoggin dickies and three local motor builders suggest I go to a peanut port for the torque for my application.

If they're right why in the world did supra put in a high rpm motor for a low rpm application?
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-27-2009, 6:11 AM Reply   
I would go with the stock truck motor and see how it goes. If you are not satisfied with it
you can always spend the extra grand in the off season and change it.
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-27-2009, 7:52 AM Reply   
you gotta remember, there is no difference in a naked block of a marine engine and a street engine. the difference is in the cam shaft and a couple of of other things. cruising rpms on car engine are between 1500 and 2000. on a boat they are more like 3000 to 4000. an outboard even goes to 5500. your cam shaft is not gonna last very long if you are runnin a street engine in a boat.

so just take your suburban engine and marinize it. cause remember, when GM builds a block at a plant, they dont know if its goin in a truck as a chevy 454 of if its goin in a boat as a mercruiser 454.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-27-2009, 9:00 AM Reply   
Do marine engines have marine pistons ? or are they the same ?
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-27-2009, 10:48 AM Reply   
According to pcm they don't touch anything including the cam.
Just the accesories and water neck.
I will prob put the same cam thats in my motor into the truck/suburban motor.
I wish roller cams weren't so much.

I'm thinking throw a gasket set and new paint on it. Maybe change the cam and bearings and see how it runs.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-29-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
where were the cracks? could you visually see them?
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-29-2009, 6:53 PM Reply   
This is on one side. The other side has crack a little bit smaller.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o287/cowwboy4/DSC00912.jpg
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-30-2009, 8:55 AM Reply   
I'm concerned that I could have a similar problem on one side of my block. I'm hoping it's not cracked, but there is a distinct line. Is there any way to repair a crack?
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-30-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
My machine shop told me that there is a special marine stamping on the block and that certain parts are beefed up to account for the increased stress and RPMs these engines are designed to run. He only runs marine BBCs in his race cars because they are "beefier."
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-30-2009, 10:16 AM Reply   
There are some "marine" according to the "rat motor" building book I got. I know according to my buddy who used to build motors at mercruiser and the techs I talked to at pcm they don't order anything special. It may have been older stuff was that way but when I talked to the scoggin dickies guy he couldn't find anything marine, block wise.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-30-2009, 10:40 AM Reply   
Since a marine engine does not build pressure in the water system you can use jb weld on an external crack. If the water is getting into the oil or cylinders you will have to have a new block/engine.

I ran a 3.0liter in an i/o for several years after patching with jb weld.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-30-2009, 12:08 PM Reply   
^^^^^^ I have had success using JB type bubble gum for many years too on an external crack. Worth a try before retro-ing a new block/engine.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-30-2009, 1:00 PM Reply   
Maybe the 454 was chosen for its low-end torque.
But they're definitely leaving a lot on the table.

"Marine" = higher nickel content. Not all boat blocks are marine, but some are.

That crack doesn't look "JB Weldable" to me..
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-30-2009, 1:21 PM Reply   
That crack is in my block not SS's.
I know mine is toast.
I wish mine was a external crack.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-30-2009, 1:51 PM Reply   
By Nick McDonald (lsukuntryboy) you gotta remember, there is no difference in a naked block of a marine engine and a street engine.

I'm not all sure about that. Years ago we had a Mustang short block in a 1988 Mastercraft Prostar 190..... thinking exactly like you are. When it came time to water test, we dropped the trailer in the water & bumped the boat in reverse..... it went right back up on the trailer. Tried it again but this time put the throttle in forward..... and the boat backed right out on to the water. We ended up buying a Nautique prop for the boat.... reverse pitch. Initially we worried about wearing the gears on the opposite sides, but apparentely it wasn't an issue.
Come to find out the marine Indmar / Ford 351 spins backwards than a car engine. I'm not sure what makes it do that.... ignition? Cam?

Good luck on the engine build. I think I'd try JB welding it, since it's not in the cylinder or exhaust..... looks like a water jacket? If it works, great. If not, then your rebuilding & not out any more money.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-30-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
Bill,
That is a camshaft issue, not a block issue. Camshafts come in reverse and forward rotation.

If you really want to technical about it GM, Ford and Chrysler all had marine blocks at one time or another, most having four bolt mains and increased webbing at the bottom of the block... The marine blocks are also often referred to as Mexican blocks since many have an M on the block and many marine blocks were used in mexican production vehicles due to possible octaine issues with good old Pemex. AMC probably had the biggest difference when it came to regular versus marine blocks...

(Message edited by wakeboardsam on March 30, 2009)
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-04-2009, 4:43 AM Reply   
Blasting and painting all my accesories now, getting ready for when I get the motor decided and built. Down the road resale would it matter what colors it was painted? I was thinking chevy orange on the block/heads and everything else either black or hugger green (bright green).
Just trying to get things to stand out and look a bit different.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-04-2009, 7:26 AM Reply   
IMO resale would be better keeping it all stock
and painting it stock. I would be skeptical on a
motor built at home with no warranty. Better to have it look OE.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-04-2009, 10:31 AM Reply   
Most of the brackets had been painted a few times judging by the layers removed from the blasting. Most engines you get rebuilt will be chevy orange. The block/heads will be painted that color. Thats just what the shop that will be building it paints them. Just was thinking on my water pump bracket, motor mounts, exhaust, alt bracket, pulleys, etc....
The intake will be black just like the factory did.
Looks to be the colors those pieces were painted previously was silver, maroon, orange, then finally black. So pick a color for the OE color.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-04-2009, 11:25 AM Reply   
i agree with michael. if i saw a street job'd looking engine, i'd be concerned about what was in it. keep it clean and simple, the engine speaks for itself.

you gonna clean the bilge, replace fuel lines, etc? my wiring harness and control/battery cables were grimy too.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-04-2009, 12:48 PM Reply   
All black just like the new ones come. It would look good with different colors but that would be one more thing that would need constant cleaning. Let those colors get dirty and it would look like crap IMO. Black motors hide the dirt in the hard to reach places. Some nice aluminum valve covers would be cool or some aluminum pulley's. Aluminum intake (dual plane) would look nice and preform good. Comp cams can set you up with a marine application cam. Just explain what your doing with the boat. Oval port heads would be a better application. Sell those square port heads on craigslist or some thing (hot rodders).
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-11-2009, 10:03 PM Reply   
Got the replacement motor in today.
It's a oval port 2 bolt main out of a 85 suburban.
Everything looks great just looks like it had a leak near the front of the oil pan.
Now to re-gasket everything, replace the valve seals, paint it and throw her in.
Upload

Upload

Upload
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-12-2009, 7:01 AM Reply   
Get rid of that intake. They rob the horsepower.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-12-2009, 7:44 AM Reply   
Thats kind of what I had been thinking after looking at the monstrosity. Would my square port intake work on it or do I need to go find a different one?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-12-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
Get a new one/used for the oval port heads. Some thing like a Edlebrock Preformer RPM (dual plane). Roller rockers are a good idea too.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-13-2009, 5:59 AM Reply   
I am looking at a Performer 2.0 locally for a good price. I'm loving the blast cabinet at work right now. Makes cleaning up all the mounts and covers so much easier.

I have been thinking of ways to do a quick drain system. I am eyeing the kit that skidim sells. A guy at the auto parts store suggested getting the rubber plugs that expand when you tighten on their center screw. Maybe put those in place of the freeze plugs? Just wanting to make sure this is the last time I have to replace a motor from freeze damage.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-13-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
Daniel
The best way to insure no freeze is to fill it with 50-50 antifreeze. I think you are in Texas and you may still use your boat late in the season. A block heater will work for the spotty cold snaps. Remember freezing to a boat engine is like tornadoes to a trailer park it happens fast and often.
Good Luck with your repair.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-13-2009, 9:08 AM Reply   
Oklahoma but close enough.
It will get used throughout the year so need something that will be fairly easy and quick to do. Maybe set up a hard wire 110 system tieing my battery tenders in with a block heater.
Just remove the raw water intake so it drains the tranny cooler and then plug the boat in.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-13-2009, 10:23 AM Reply   
Bill, I knew transmissions are tuff, but Damn, I didn't think they were that tuff!

I agree on all black. 351W in my boat after head/cam/intake job and fresh paint:
Upload
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-15-2009, 4:18 PM Reply   
Intake just came in today. So hopefully tonight I'll get all the new bolts from the hardware store and get it mostly together.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-15-2009, 4:39 PM Reply   
"after head/cam/intake job and fresh paint" and a couple of Budweisers.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-15-2009, 9:15 PM Reply   
Lil more progress

Upload
Upload
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-16-2009, 7:24 AM Reply   
"after head/cam/intake job and fresh paint" and a couple of Budweisers.

More than a couple!!

Looking good
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-22-2009, 5:28 AM Reply   
Finally got her in.
Started it for a minute but didn't have the cooling lines hooked up yet so only made sure it fired then killed it.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-22-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
Wow... what a cherry picker. So very glad that it's not me in this situation (for once!) Good luck!
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-22-2009, 7:54 AM Reply   
It's one left over from my dads old wrenching days. I had to extend it out as far as it would go and welded all the joints to help it out.
I got a nice air over hydraulic cylinder that helped out the process.
Is not a fun ordeal and hope to never do it again.
Old     (airborne)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-22-2009, 11:05 AM Reply   
On a marine engine there is no H2o pressure, unlike a car and you can pull the motor, pre-heat the block and if you know what you are doing, weld it up. You ahve to weld about 1' outside of each end first and then together or you'll get weepers. There is no pressure on the block, unlike a cat/truck, and this has been done alot on blocks that have freeze cracks. If it is on the intake side near a water port, you need a block but on the outside of the block, no problem at all.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-23-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   
I didn't think a weld would hold up on a cast iron block... Or is that the "if you know what you are doing" part?
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-23-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
You can weld on the cast iron block and get it to hold. Like TKO said, you really need to know what your doing though.

So whats a good way to clean up the yard after getting oil on it?

I guess the salvage yard had pulled the oil sending unit off the motor before I got it. I thought I had checked all the open bolt holes to confirm the weren't oil or water passages. But I missed one. It pumped out most of the engines oil before I could shut it back off again and made quite the mess on my side yard.
I am thinking I should name the boat the "Juan Valdez".
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-23-2009, 11:57 AM Reply   
Doesn't he ride a burrow and make coffee? LOL
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-23-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
oops.. Not juan valdez, the "exxon valdez".
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-23-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
hahahah oh man that's a good joke, but sorry to hear it daniel. Looks like you're recovering well. What year/model is the boat again?
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-26-2009, 2:58 PM Reply   
Took her out for the first time with the new motor. ComeS out the hole harder then before. My buddy trae was brave enough to board behind it even with 3ft white capped rollers. First time I had rollers come over the bow and that's in a old school pirata no ballast! But had great results. Wohoo
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-27-2009, 5:42 AM Reply   
awesome news, great to hear you've got her running again
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-27-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
Wow that is so awesome! You guys really knocked that repair out of the park!!! Now back to the good times!
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-27-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
Mikey, the deposit was already put down for the cabin for memorial day the weekend before I found out the block was broke. So had a deadline and still have to work on the trailer and stereo a lil bit.
I wishs I had video of the waves. I am still shocked my big ole boat was taking roller over the bow.
Upload
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-27-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
looks great! What distributor did you go with?
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-27-2009, 10:06 AM Reply   
It's the HEI that was on the boat when I got it.