Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-17-2006, 2:28 PM Reply   
I have a custom made 'surf sac' that I put in the port side of the boat. My best estimate is that it holds 1500 pounds. The folks at Barefoot International made it to my specs. I have a nearly complete Rival ballast system installed (I'll post a complete install thread in the coming weeks). The pumps that come with the system are the Mayfair 1000GPH pumps. Unfortunately, Rival chose to do the entire system in 3/4 inch hose and I've already got a through hull that fits that size hose. It takes an eternity to drain that sack.

Can I switch it out for a stronger pump? What would be recommended? I wish that I could just slip another cartridge into the existing pump, and not have to do anything more, or just switch out the pump.

I would like to avoid having to put different hose on if I can, but it might be something I have to do.

Ballast experts - let me know...
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       05-17-2006, 5:51 PM Reply   
I just bought a Rule Hi-Flow 2000 GPH for $95 from www.livebaitlarry.com

I believe the intake is 3/4 but the outlet is 1". It's kind of quirky site; if you call you will talk to Larry. He is the guy who designed the pump for a different company, then sold it to Rule. In the product description it says 1800 gph even though its called the 2000. If you call the guy, he is a pump expert and can tell you if it will work for your application.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-17-2006, 8:13 PM Reply   
Thanks Rich!!

Since my real name is Larry, it must be fate. I'll have to call him.
Old     (leetudor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-18-2006, 5:47 AM Reply   
Mayfair makes a 1250 cartridge that you could install in your 1000 housing.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-18-2006, 8:07 AM Reply   
Lee,

I could not find a 1250 at Bass Pro Shops or anywhere else. If you know where to find it, let me know.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-18-2006, 8:32 AM Reply   
Talltige, one thing to consider when/if you replace is won't the diameter of the hose be the "bottleneck" so to speak. I would assume there is a maximum amount of water you can pump thru a 3/4 inch hose. Just a thought
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-18-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
Adam,

That is one of my concerns. Being that the hose is pretty short, I think that it will still work, it just will increase the pressure and instead of shooting out the side of the boat 2-3 feet, it may spray 5-10 feet. That could be kind of fun on the ramp
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-18-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
I just found the 1250 GPH at iboats.com. I noticed that the output on that is a 1 1/8 inch hose...Hmmm
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       05-18-2006, 3:32 PM Reply   
I've read some different things about aerator pumps. The flow rate is dependent on several factors; how high you are lifting the water, intake / output size, etc. The numbers on the pump are the "optimum". IOW, if you get a certain flow rate thru a 1" tube, you won't get the same rate (at higher pressure) thru a 3/4".

That's why I mentioned to talk to the pump guy "Larry". He could probably tell you if a bigger pump would do you any good.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-18-2006, 4:05 PM Reply   
You can jam a lot of water through a 3/4". You can make it shoot 15ft out the side of your boat. I'd put in a 2000 or even a 3800. The hose and fittings will cost you a lot more money than the pump. If you already know you want more capacity, just stick the pump in there and see how much it improves things. You can always do the hose later.
Old     (leetudor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-18-2006, 6:48 PM Reply   
It would only cost about $25 for the new 1250gph cartridge to see how much more water it would pump. Look how much water you get out of a 5/8" garden hose hooked up at home.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-19-2006, 12:26 PM Reply   
I talked to LivebaitLarry - He thinks the Rule 2000 would likely be the ticket. It may run slower than it would with a bigger hose, but it will still bump it up substantially over the 1000GPH I have now.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       05-19-2006, 1:16 PM Reply   
Psyclone - where do you get a 3800 aerator pump? which model? thanks