Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (carolina)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-17-2013, 5:06 PM Reply   
My first posting. We are currently using a 2001 Tige 2100V bought new. I have heard bad stories but I have no complaints with the boat (or experience with other boats). We have over 1000 hrs on it, guys doing all the inverts (65 to 75') with no ballast but usually full of people. Mostly board, but like to switch to barefooting and skiing occasionally, some tubing (unfortunately). Main reason for buying at the time was did not have to deal with ballast and changes between different sports was just adjusting taps, also seemed to be well constructed and Mercruiser could be serviced locally. Never seen it done in person, but think the wife and I (50's) might be interested in surfing. Been a great boat but ready for something new.

My main question is will the VLX with just standard hard tank ballast, wedge and surf gate provide a good wakeboard wake and a surf wake while still being ok for skiing/barefooting. Hate to use up all the storage space with bags. Test drove a 20 mxz, thought the wake looked similar to my Tige. Dealer said VLX wake would be about the same. Not sure about surf wake with gate. Drove a Z3, thought it looked similar also, maybe a little better. Both looked fine for skiing at higher speeds. 22 mxz or similar would require modifying boat house considerably.

Thanks for any info.
Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-17-2013, 5:15 PM Reply   
How many people will be in the boat? Any more than 4 people will give you a decent surf wave
Old     (carolina)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-17-2013, 5:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifinallygota21v View Post
How many people will be in the boat? Any more than 4 people will give you a decent surf wave
would normally have 6 or 7 people in the boat.
Old     (carolina)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-17-2013, 5:20 PM Reply   
I like the idea of not having to shift people all around and tilting the boat to one side.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-17-2013, 5:57 PM Reply   
Tige and Malibu do have similar wakes.The Malibu wake will clean up for wake boarding at a slower speed than the Tige.What boats are you considering?You mentioned the length or width of the 22mxz would require modifying your boat house.But i assume your 21' Tige fits.So what length and width are you looking for?
Old     (carolina)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-17-2013, 6:29 PM Reply   
I am looking for a 21 to 22' boat with conventional bow. The Z1 or the VLX will fit my boat house with no modifications and they are the size I prefer anyway. Looked at the Nautique, MC, Supra, Centurion at boat show, various reasons I like the Z1 and VLX best. At least at the moment.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-17-2013, 6:46 PM Reply   
The VLX should be perfect to compare the Z1 to.As far as underfloor ballast the Malibu or the Tige would need more weight for a decent surf wave.You could accomplish the weight with people ballast.Usually 4 to six people should be enough.As to the wakeboard wakes the Malibu will produce a clean wake at 17 mph. The Tigé will need at least 19.5 to 20 mph to clean up.Their size and shape will be similar when weighted equally.You should also be able to slalom and barefoot behind both.Although neither will produce a competition level slalom wake they are both very friendly to slalom skiers.I would suggest a demo of both and see which one you like best.You can't go wrong with either boat.
Old    9Drozd            02-17-2013, 6:57 PM Reply   
In this case, I'd more than likely would be leaning towards the vlx because of the surfgate and the ability to change from wakeboard to surf setup in no more than 5 seconds. If you were nitpicky about your surf wave, I'd lean the other way with the tige vx system. Like Robert said, demo both and go with what suites your needs the best. Best of luck and post pictures of whatever boat you end up with.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-17-2013, 8:36 PM Reply   
how about a VLX with the Diamond hull and surf gate? Not positive that is an option, but if it is, that would be the way to go for you and your needs. It will ski/barefoot okay, surf well without listing the boat, and have a nice wakeboard wake.
Old     (carolina)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-18-2013, 7:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
how about a VLX with the Diamond hull and surf gate? Not positive that is an option, but if it is, that would be the way to go for you and your needs. It will ski/barefoot okay, surf well without listing the boat, and have a nice wakeboard wake.
I think the wake/diamond hull is standard and I would go with the wedge and surfgate.
Old     (carolina)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-18-2013, 7:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Drozd View Post
In this case, I'd more than likely would be leaning towards the vlx because of the surfgate and the ability to change from wakeboard to surf setup in no more than 5 seconds. If you were nitpicky about your surf wave, I'd lean the other way with the tige vx system. Like Robert said, demo both and go with what suites your needs the best. Best of luck and post pictures of whatever boat you end up with.
I do not know enough about the surf to be nit-picky. Do you surf behind the vlx?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-18-2013, 8:14 AM Reply   
You will almost certainly need extra ballast to surf. Id be looking for a boat that comes with 2k or more from the factory if you don't wanna add weight, of not then be prepared to plumb in
Old     (Sethjoe)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-18-2013, 9:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
You will almost certainly need extra ballast to surf. Id be looking for a boat that comes with 2k or more from the factory if you don't wanna add weight, of not then be prepared to plumb in
How do you figure? Have you surfed the VLX with stock ballast and surfgate?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-18-2013, 9:27 AM Reply   
Consider plumbing in 400# Tube Sacs (Fat Sac brand). They are not as tall and go all the way up under the backseat. It leaves most of the room in the back lockers. I have a cube sack that i'll put in the walk way too if I do not have any bow riders.
Old    9Drozd            02-18-2013, 10:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina View Post
I do not know enough about the surf to be nit-picky. Do you surf behind the vlx?
Sadly, no. I wish i could though. I know if i was in the market for a new boat, it would either be malibu with surfgate, or a nautique with the nss. The crew I ride with mostly wakeboards, but on days when the lakes too busy or blown out, both systems make it easy for everyone to ride whether they ride goofy or regular. You wont have to shift people or fat-sacs around in between riders. Thats what i like about it. No I have not ridden on either system yet, but for my needs, thats what I would be looking for.
Old     (carolina)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-18-2013, 10:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
Consider plumbing in 400# Tube Sacs (Fat Sac brand). They are not as tall and go all the way up under the backseat. It leaves most of the room in the back lockers. I have a cube sack that i'll put in the walk way too if I do not have any bow riders.
Justin, trying to figure out if I can get good recreational ride w/o sacks. Usually have lots of people in boat along with all the necessary equipment. Lot of changes between people and sports, tho mostly boarding.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-18-2013, 10:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethjoe View Post
How do you figure? Have you surfed the VLX with stock ballast and surfgate?
no i have not, i am presuming considering an x25, known to be a better surf boat with stock ballast and surf tabs is kind of sad. along with most other boats with a mere 250lb tank on each side, i dont know why the vlx would be exempt.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-18-2013, 11:23 AM Reply   
I've surfed our 2010 VLX stock ballast on both sides without a problem (no surf gate). You can surf behind anything if you are not afraid to pump a little. We used to surf behind my closed-bow malibu skier years ago.
Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-18-2013, 1:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
would normally have 6 or 7 people in the boat.
You will have no problem surfing then. We were able to surf with 4 people but the driver had to sit in the observers seat
Old     (carolina)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-18-2013, 4:40 PM Reply   
Is it necessary to adjust wedge setting when riding with different numbers of people? Or do presets generally hold true.
Old     (carolina)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-18-2013, 4:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
I've surfed our 2010 VLX stock ballast on both sides without a problem (no surf gate). You can surf behind anything if you are not afraid to pump a little. We used to surf behind my closed-bow malibu skier years ago.
when you say stock ballast, are you including the bags or just the hard tanks?
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-18-2013, 9:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
I think the wake/diamond hull is standard and I would go with the wedge and surfgate.
Danny, double check, but there were 2 different VLX hulls available. One is the wake/standard hull and the other is the diamond hull (designed for those that want to ski, I hear it needs more weight than the wake hull in order to get a comparable wake). I do not know if they offer the 2 different hulls for 2013 anymore, so I could be wrong, but check it out.

If they do offer those 2 hulls, then go with the diamond hull, unless someone has been unsuccessful at surfing the diamond hull with stock ballast and surf gate.
Old     (Talonsorensen)      Join Date: Apr 2012 Location: Gig harbor Washington       02-18-2013, 10:12 PM Reply   
I'd have to say vlx. It's a really user friendly boat, but on top of the surfgate you have the wedge being able to shape both your wakeboard wake and surf wake. The storage is great. I've surfed the surfgate with stock ballast (hardtanks) and 8 people it was very fun and even did a transfer!
Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-19-2013, 4:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
when you say stock ballast, are you including the bags or just the hard tanks?
I have 4 hard tanks, no bags. You can mess with the wedge to see what works for you
Old     (carolina)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-26-2013, 5:54 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the advice. Just got back from Belize and first time on net in a while. Plan to look at vlx tomorrow, I hope