Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            04-26-2012, 11:35 AM Reply   
There are a bunch of different woods in use, Obeechi, Eucalyptus, Walnut and some etc's. Red and blue pins on the transition from the carbon fiber rails to the veneers. Also it's really hard to see, but the rail fin boxes have been carbon'ized. Up close you can see the carbon fiber. Weight, like this without fns and traction is 4 # 1 oz.
Attached Images

Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-26-2012, 11:45 AM Reply   
Fantastic , Jeff
Old    surfdad            04-26-2012, 11:50 AM Reply   
Thanks Mark. Didn't it come out nice?
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       04-26-2012, 3:35 PM Reply   
that board is pretty sweet. all the inlay work must have been a real pain.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-27-2012, 10:38 AM Reply   
BEST........BOARD........EVER......

wait, can you ride it?
Old    surfdad            04-27-2012, 11:22 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. We really liked the way it came out.

@ tmill all of the veneer is raw wood, no paper backed veneers, so everything you see is a piece of wood cut and mated to the next piece. Heavy use of veneer saws and staright edges, but also some of the veneer was clamped between two pieces of wood stock and a laminate bit in a router to get nice straight and clean edges. Definately a pain to get done right.

@ newwhit yeah it's designed to ride, but it sure feels like a shame to cover the deck with traction! We've been using a 'boo and carbon fiber for James over the last...wow maybe close to 2 years and wanted to increase the performace of that construction and make it not look so plain. The wood veener we hope is that logical progression. We plan to give it a spin this weekend.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-27-2012, 12:16 PM Reply   
wow. thats pretty. i like it.
Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-27-2012, 12:17 PM Reply   
First person to come out with clear traction wins!!!
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-28-2012, 1:36 PM Reply   
feel free to ship one to texas for demo.
Old    surfdad            04-28-2012, 2:47 PM Reply   
Some detail pictures.
Attached Images

Old     (silver98formula)      Join Date: Apr 2012       05-04-2012, 7:40 PM Reply   
I would buy that in a heart beat!
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       05-04-2012, 8:12 PM Reply   
i cant stop looking at this thing. You really out did yourself on this board. I showed it to some of the guys that work for me(im a PM at a door and millwork shop) they were blown away!
Old    surfdad            05-04-2012, 8:50 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, it really did come out nice, didn't it? The bookmatched veneer is a very unique look in wakesurfers. Internally there are some goodies that we're still testing and I think it's working well. James sure liked the way it rode, he landed another back big on this board the first time on it.
Attached Images

Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-10-2012, 2:49 PM Reply   
Hmm I love this board Jeff! Its almost as beautifull, as my shape with teak veneer
strech is the king, this board is exceptional. Brilliant piece of workmanship. What is used as top coat, 2 pac, polyurethane...?

I didnt know that you are such a wood lover
Old    surfdad            06-22-2012, 7:11 PM Reply   
I hate working with e.wood Petr, loving the characteristics. The top is epoxy, no polyester or polyurethane. Interestingly glossy for epoxy, huh?

G 2
Attached Images

Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-23-2012, 9:26 PM Reply   
Looks great! Did you put any varnish on it? I don't think epoxy has any U.V. protection and will yellow in the sun (if I recall correctly from my kayak building days)...
Old    surfdad            06-24-2012, 4:44 AM Reply   
Thanks for following along Brad. The veneer is untreated, although it's under a layer of epoxy and fiberglass. This particular board used Resin Research CE epoxy on the external lamination. Resin Research CE and Kwick Kick formulations both contain UV inhibitors. The CE also has what they call an "optical brightener". Certainly the clarity is great. There have been some substantial advances in epoxy formulations since the good old days. Thanks again!
Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-24-2012, 10:52 PM Reply   
Interesting. I'll have to look into that epoxy. On my cedar kayaks we always used to varnish over the epoxy.

I have always wanted to make a surf board and have been considering making one with left over cedar from a kayak project. However I think that I would get much more use out of a wake surfer...

You may have just inspired me to pick up my plane again!
Cheers!