Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (jl_coop)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-25-2007, 9:51 PM Reply   
I have got a trailer that needs to be recarpeted and rebunked. My question is if I can use that new material used on decks called "trex decking", and get away with out using carpet to cover the bunks. I know it is like a plastic material that is pretty soft compared to pressure treated wood. I don't know if it would scratch the boat up being on them with the trex decking with out carpet. Has anyone heard of other people or your selves using this material with no carpet??? The trailer is a DHM holding a 2004 Correct Craft Super Air Nautique 210 TE.

Upload
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-25-2007, 10:46 PM Reply   
One of my friends used some type of plastic on his trailer. Not sure what it was though. The good part was it was super slippery, so the boat slid off into the water easily. The bad part was it was super slippery so it slid around on the trailer, unless well strapped down. Which it should be anyhow, in at least three places.
Old     (mkrueger313)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-26-2007, 1:20 AM Reply   
dont use just trex... trex of course is very soft but that is just if your sliding with your board. I had a friend as well that used trex and would complain about the boat moving while driving. Your best bet is to replace the wooden bunks and recarpet because you are only asking for trouble if you go with just trex and no carpet.
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-26-2007, 6:23 AM Reply   
I tried using the solid trex (most is hollow) because I did not want it to rot but I carpeted them. Worked great untill this spring when the water was low I could not get the traijler in far eneough so I had to "pull" the boat on with the winch. The trex would not take the extra weigt and broke in between two supports. I have since replaced the bunks with LVL lumber.
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-26-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
use wood and bunkaps easy to put on www.bunkaps.com
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-26-2007, 7:36 AM Reply   
Cool Ken, I had not seen those. Does the boat slide on as easily?
Old     (jl_coop)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-26-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone! I think I will us the Bunkaps with either the Solid Trex or Pressure Treated Lumber. Thanks again Everyone!
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-26-2007, 1:00 PM Reply   
the boat slide on and off great. You cant wear it out either.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-27-2007, 5:58 AM Reply   
How are the bunk caps when trailering the boat??
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-02-2007, 2:11 PM Reply   
Do NOT use Trex or any other brand of plastic lumber.

The plastic lumber is great in compression: loads applied on top of it with plenty of support underneath. The plastic lumber is awful under tensil loads: a force trying to stretch it or bend it.

My prediction is that if you tried to use Trex on the bunks the boards would crack between the supports on the trailer and if you tried to power the boat onto the trailer the shear force against the bunks would rip them from thier mounts on the trailer.

Good old fashion wood really does have some great qualities......

Rod