Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-07-2010, 2:14 PM Reply   
I just sold my old mastercraft prostar 190 and I'm looking to get a v-drive. I test drove a nice sanger v215 but got cold feet at the price and started looking at used boats. I see a couple reasonably priced sangers. Both are 2005, one is a v215 and one is a v210. I was wondering which one would provide the best wakes for wakeboarding. Both have ballasts (the v215 has more added on but I could do that to the v210 as well). Sanger boats web site is really old and doesn't talk about it much. Most boat reviews say both are good so I'm a bit stuck. Thoughts?
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-07-2010, 2:44 PM Reply   
Both are great boats and have great wakes. The 210 handles better but the 215 has more room and higher freeboard. I have a V210 but I would of bought a V215 if it was in my budget.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-07-2010, 3:03 PM Reply   
V210 Wake is steeper and more narrow where you'll find the V215 wake more rampy and wider but not wide per say. The V215 also has a superior surf wave if you are into that. The V215 does handle exceptionally well both weighted and unweighted and offers more space both in regards to passenger comfort and storage. You probably won't be disappointed with either.
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-07-2010, 3:10 PM Reply   
I haven't ridden in either the 210 or 215, but I own a 230.

The 215 is a bit bigger, I believe the beam is 96" but has almost the same running surface as the 210. The beam on the 210 is 90" so it's going to feel a bit smaller. I think the freeboard on the 215 is higher like Walt said and is going to have more storage.

This might be a good place to start:

http://waterskimag.com/ski-boats/200...ats-2005-v215/
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-07-2010, 5:48 PM Reply   
Both great boats. I could of bought either when I bought my V210 new. It came down to room and fuel economy. If you regularly take out more than 6 or 7 then the 215 would have the edge. The 215 requires a good amount of additional ballast for the wake to be nice and of coarse will use more fuel because of that. The 210 wake is narrower allowing the rider to ride a longer line. The 210 handles better for sure, but both are great in that category. As stated earlier, advantage 215 for the surf wake but many on here have success surfing their 210's.
Old     (repo)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-08-2010, 2:21 AM Reply   
I have a 215 and love it. Tons of people space and good storage especially if you have racks for all the toys. Fuel economy isn't tooooo bad for a 3200# boat dry. Standard wake is OK for most & with ballast will P off most fishermen as you drive by. When I'm done with this one I'm stepping up to the 237. Once a Sanger owner, always a Sanger owner. We did the local boat show 2 weeks ago and Sangers are second to none. There aren't very many Sangers down under. Which ever one you pick it will be awesome.

Last edited by repo; 09-08-2010 at 2:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old     (4white)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-08-2010, 8:27 AM Reply   
I bought my first V-drive this year and I bought a Sanger V215, its great. I haven't been in a V210 but I can certainly recommend the V215, I would even go up one size if the right opportunity presented itself.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-08-2010, 10:17 AM Reply   
Yeah, my next swings for the V237 too. I love that boat totally sick, world class wake surf wake and tons of space!
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-08-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback. I don't have room for a boat longer than the 215 (I will have to remove the platform and detatch the trailer tongue to fit it in my garage as is). I'm leaning towards the v215. Sounds like both wakes are fine.
Old     (MegNTadd)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-08-2010, 11:22 AM Reply   
We have an '08 v215 and LOVE it! Handles great, great wake, tons of passenger room!
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-08-2010, 11:28 AM Reply   
Saberworks,
Where are you located? I know of a coupe left over new 2009's for sale at what seems like a pretty fair price.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-08-2010, 11:36 AM Reply   
I'm up in WA. I wouldn't mind travelling for a decent deal. I'd actually really like to talk about price. At the beginning of the summer I negotiated a leftover 2008 v215 purchase at $38,900. It included all stock options, wake series II, the upgraded tower, perfect pass star gazer, depth sounder, heater, stock stereo, and a cover. I was uncomfortable with the deal as the guy who demoed the boat promised some stuff that the owner refused (like a better 4-blade prop) so I backed out (and lost $400 deposit which still makes me mad). The used boats I'm looking at have about a hundred hours on them, are in pristine condition, and are $11k less than the leftover 2008 I was looking at. Neither has a heater or depth sounder and the v210 doesn't have perfect pass.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-08-2010, 11:48 AM Reply   
Saber,
Sent you a PM
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-08-2010, 12:08 PM Reply   
Saber, were you looking at a left over from Siglers Marine? We bought our boat from them and they were great during the time of purchase, but after things went down hill quick! Not going to post it on here, but I would not recommend them.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-08-2010, 12:09 PM Reply   
Nope, it was up in longview. I appreciate the info on siglers, though, I had seen their ads on CL.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       09-08-2010, 1:01 PM Reply   
I've been in both boats as well. I like the larger V215 better. I put alot of weight in my V215 and I like that wake bettter than the V210. It is definately wider though. I did reprop, I get about 6.5 gallons an hour. I like having the extra room. I would recommend the V215 over the V210 if you can afford it. I love my boat.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-08-2010, 1:15 PM Reply   
Did you put a 4 blade?
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       09-09-2010, 7:41 AM Reply   
Nope, I have a 3 blade acme 911 prop. I love it. I have never had a 4 blade so I cant say if it is better or not. I run 30 mph at 3400 rpm.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-09-2010, 7:46 AM Reply   
Don't bother with a 4 blade prop either get a 653 or a 911 if you want more hole shot.
Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-10-2010, 11:15 AM Reply   
I have a v215 and love it!!! That being said another thought, depending on the engine, the v210 has a hump on the rear sunpad. Although I wanted a 215 from the start, this really sealed the deal for me.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-10-2010, 11:45 AM Reply   
4 blade props only make a difference if you have a geared drive and run 14" pitch or higher.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-10-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
Just an update on this... I had originally looked at the v215 a couple of months ago. It has been for sale for a while for more than I figured it was worth. It was in great shape at that point, not a flaw I could find with a visual inspection. We went out yesterday to water test it and it was... bad. The guy had some issues clearly.

There was a huge horizontal scratch across the back bottom of the boat, actually a gouge that went through the gelcoat and had actual fibers ripped out. Not "huge" but say a foot or two long, about half an inch wide. It had yellow paint around it so it seems like he dragged the boat across the trailer somehow.

Prop looked like it had run through gravel. Gelcoat damage above prop on hull from when he drove it through gravel.

Front bottom of boat had more minor yellow scratches, also looked like it had been dragged over the trailer (although not as hard).

The three fins/scags that are attached to the bottom of the boat... the foremost one was bent like wavy lays potato chip. Where it attaches were gelcoat cracks all around and about 2-3 inches long. The epoxy or resin or whatever they used to seal was cracked up. The other fins seemed fine but they also had the epoxy/resin cracks which indicates that the boat had been dragged sideways across something hard (like the ground).

Seemed to run fine, all the electronics and whatnot seemed to work... but another adventure when pulling the boat out. Apparently he somehow broke his winch strap so he put the boat on the trailer, put it in gear drove it up until the bow was positioned properly, left it running in gear and ran up and hooked up the hook. It's hard to explain but imagine you have a winch strap that won't extend so you have to get the bow of the boat almost touching in order to hook it up. When he drove on the trailer and let off the throttle, the boat would shift back. So he left it in gear with throttle on to give it forward pressure so he could hook the winch strap. This "technique" probably has something to do with why the boat got all jacked up

Anyway, I'm disappointed that it was in bad shape where it wasn't before and I don't want to buy another boat I have to put a lot of work into so I'm going to keep looking.
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-10-2010, 12:32 PM Reply   
Keep looking and take your time, if you're not comfortable and 'happy' when you look at it, you're not going to be when you bring it home either. You'll always be second-guessing yourself and it will always be in the back of your mind. You'll be thinking of what to fix next instead of enjoying yourself. With boat ownership there is always maintenance and 'upgrades' that you want to do but those are things that you 'want' to do and not have-to's.

I just picked up a 2003 Sanger V230 with ~350 hours a few weeks ago. This is my 2nd boat and I knew it ran well, looked great and had great potential. You want to have a good starting point as a base and then build from there. The only issue I had with mine when I first bought it was the steering was really hard. All it needed was a new cable and it felt brand new after that but it was constantly on my mind until it was fixed.

My point is, if there's obvious neglect, chances are the visible neglect isn't the only neglect.

Take your time and find a boat that you really love, you'll be much happier.