Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-10-2005, 6:33 PM Reply   
how are the new bayliner wakeboard boats any info . My Bro is looking to buy one thanks
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       02-10-2005, 6:40 PM Reply   
if he is looking for a boat to primarily wakeboard behind, in my opinion, he would be happier with an inboard.
Old    murrayair            02-10-2005, 7:27 PM Reply   
Yeah, I've never seen an i/o that throws any sort of a wake. Bayliner is trying to cater to the recreational wakeboarding family who want the looks more than performance. How much do those things run?

Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-10-2005, 7:46 PM Reply   
thanks chuck I agree But I am still looking for an info on the bayliners so he can decide for himself I have A v-drive myself and love it
Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-10-2005, 7:49 PM Reply   
The one he is looking at is 25,000 I just don't know witch one it is
Old    jmo52            02-10-2005, 10:55 PM Reply   
From my experiance bayliners are kind of a poorly made boat(no offense). I have replaced stringers and transoms on several of the older Bayliners.Like I said these were older ones. How about a Searay? Or for that matter if he's gonna spend 25,000 why not a Moomba?
Old    waterdog2            02-10-2005, 11:16 PM Reply   
I wouldent call it a wakeboard boat, but I have A 04 175. No problems yet. I just put a tower on it, The glass thickness varied fron 1/4 to 5/8 so I had to reinforce it.Not A big wake, but you can clean it up nicely with the trim. Fat sack is next.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-11-2005, 6:55 AM Reply   
I have a 2000 bayliner 1850 with a 4.3l 190hp merc, a monster tower, perfect pass, and a 750# fat sac. weighted right the wake is nice, but it never gets as hard as an inboard. If I would have known I would be wakeboarding when I bought it, I would have looked longer and waited to get an inboard.
with that said I did get a killer deal on it, And I am happy with it for the level that I ride at, and Everyone that has come out with me, varying levels of riding, have been pleasantly surprised at just how good the wake is!

(Message edited by gmarkham1 on February 11, 2005)
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-11-2005, 8:47 AM Reply   
I agree with MUNK. Bayliners are a poorly made boat. For a little extra money I would go for a moomba. Not only will it be a better wakeboardboat but it will also hold its value alot longer.
Old    natlchamp2k4            02-11-2005, 11:57 AM Reply   
Well, i straddle the fence. I have a 2000 bayliner 1750 with a tower and a little weight. I love the boat, one cause im in college and it floats, starts, and its mine. On the other hand, it is not the best built boat and there are some draw backs. 1. they are cheap(price and quality) but they float and have a wake, and when your in college that is pretty dang good.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-11-2005, 2:31 PM Reply   
heres a few pics from last summer

Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-11-2005, 2:39 PM Reply   

Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-12-2005, 5:08 AM Reply   
Well, I feel compelled to write into this thread seeing as I've owned both a Bayliner and a Moomba.

I had a '90 Bayliner Capri with the 4.3, and like Jamie, we threw a tower on it. I absolutely hated that boat. Broke down all the time, would not stop porpoising at wakeboarding speeds, and was just all around a cheap, low quality boat, in my opinion. However, it should be mentioned that our boat had about a million hours on it, and I'm sure we were the 8th owner of the boat. The thing was just not cared for.

I love our Moomba. We weight the crap outta it, and it has held up strong. Looks cool. Won't throw a competition wake, but it's certainly not small either. I'd go with a Moomba for $25,000 for sure.
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-12-2005, 8:10 AM Reply   
You could probably find a Moomba Outback LS for around 17k or so. There is also a pretty decent looking 99 Supra in the classifieds for 19K. I would go for a true "wakeboard" boat if you are primarily going to board.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-12-2005, 8:16 AM Reply   
Is this the boat he was looking at?

boat
Old    o_o            02-13-2005, 12:25 PM Reply   
thats a nice bayliner pritty much wut i have i dont find them cheap there a nice boat but comparred to one of your high end boats wut boat wouldnt look cheap but w\e
Old     (todd_everton)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-15-2005, 7:03 PM Reply   
My father & I bought a '99 bayliner capri brand new(before I got my Toyota)...WHAT A MISTAKE!!!The first year and a half it was in the shop more than on the water.No exaggeration!Within the first 5mos.,a rear piston came apart and the motor had to be replaced.Yeah, it was covered under warranty...but damn,you can't anymore frustrating other than the boat sinking,which would have actually been a blessing.Find something else...there are alot of good used inboards out there.Don't just settle for a boat because it's the only one you can afford.Wait & get one you want.Good Luck!!

(Message edited by todd_everton on February 15, 2005)
Old    ilovetrains            02-16-2005, 9:27 AM Reply   
Everyone has an opinion about Bayliner, and most of those are poor. I own a 97 2050 SS with a 5.7. It has been a great boat, never a problem. We run the snot out of it. I have a tower and put sand and lead in it. It is not a Nautique. Get over it. What I paid for it new and my new 02 Tahoe and new 01 Wrangler is still less than a Nautique.

The Bayliner is what it is, a value priced boat. BTW - it is made by the same company as Sea Ray. The people out there that quible about the qaulity are probably more upset about the type of boat they got rather than the brand.
Old    kingjaycee            02-22-2005, 11:13 AM Reply   
I also bought a 2004 Bayliner 185 4.3L. It's a great boat for the value. So far I'm extremely happy with it. I bought this boat last year in July. It was my first boat and first time wakeboarding. So for my level of wakeboarding is fine. I'm in the process of adding a monster tower, and DIY automatic ballast system by the end of may is my target date.

Goodluck with any boat you get.

Old    jmo52            02-22-2005, 9:15 PM Reply   
Easy Matt I guess that one hit a little to close to home. My first boat was an 89 Seaswirl. Thats in the same class as Bayliner. I still own that boat and like it very much. I also said that I have worked on older bayliners(pre 94). For all I know they could be a lot better now. Yes Bayliner is a good value for someone that wants to get out on the water and have fun. But if the guy is gonna spend 25 grand thats not chump change. You might as well get a boat thats gonna be worth somthing when your done with it.
Old    tulegit            03-10-2005, 3:40 PM Reply   
Just to clear things up. Bayliners are not made by Sea Ray. They are both owned by Mercury. That doesn't mean they are produced by the same company. That would be like saying Mecedes is the same as Chrysler.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-10-2005, 6:21 PM Reply   
If he's dead set on Bayliner, he could buy a 1 year old one and save 10k:-)
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-10-2005, 6:40 PM Reply   
Bayliners have poor resale value and their quality isn't the highest of the boats out there, but they have started producing a lot nicer boat as of late...

Not a bad starter boat if you can get one cheap to get some experience in owning a boat...

Good luck with your decision...
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-10-2005, 6:52 PM Reply   
Where do you guys get your info. Mercury does not own Bayliner. Searay does not own BayLiner. BRUNSWICK owns both companies and owns Mercury. Why do you think Mercs are on the back of both boats. Brunswick also owns Boston Whaler and a TON of other boat companies. If you want to LOOSE a ton of money on RESALE buy a Bayliner. Heard the saying going from BAD TO WORSE. Moomba suffers the same analogy. To much depreciation. Buy a 99-2001 X Star for under 25K. The depreciation hit has been taken, sell the boat in a few years for what you paid for it then get a NEW MC. Think about it.
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-10-2005, 6:55 PM Reply   
What kind of boat show was that or where was it? That dealer gained a whole 3 inches by taking the tires and rims off, then offered nothing to see inside the boat. Hope rims and tires are standard in that package. Wood Blocks? Not a GREAT display at all.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-11-2005, 7:18 PM Reply   
all i can say is that the windshield in my bayliner does fall through in the chop. I paid less for it and understood that with the purchase I was buying a value item and not necassarily a high quality item. I traded new for the unknown of someone elses used(problem) boat. Been There Done That.

Now since that purchase I have been very happy but now If I am on the boat, 95% of the time it is to wakeboard, and my financial situation is changing and I feel I am ready to make a bigger investment. So yes I am going to be buying a V-drive. Not because I am unhappy with my bayliner, but because I want a more specific boat.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-11-2005, 7:21 PM Reply   
OH i have had the boat for a year and half and I am getting what I paid for it! Just goes to show if you take care of something and you are a smart buyer distart with resale value can be maintained