Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-31-2012, 10:06 AM Reply   
What are the best places to ride in tx? We ride the Trinity River and everytime we go elsewhere we get disappointed in the less than stellar conditions. The beauty of the Trinity is you can find long stretches of calm waters no matter what the weather is like. Are there any other rivers like this that are not salt or brackish?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       10-31-2012, 11:01 AM Reply   
If your home ride spot is the Trinity then consider yourself spoiled! You can ride the Brazos river above Lake Whitney near Waco and it is very similar to the Trin in terms of good water, but not near as long of a stretch. Lake Austin and Lake Belton are usually good during the week, and on the weekends are usually good early morning/late evening(assuming no wind). Down near New Braunfels there are a few lakes on the Guadalupe River (Placid, Dunlap, Meadow) that are sweet but just the same can get congested on the weekends. The cypress trees and bright green water provide awesome scenery but all three lakes are only about a few miles long each. I have rode many other spots but these are some of my favorites and they are all pretty much in the central TX region. Also, there are some older threads on here regarding Texas ride spots, hope this helps!
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-31-2012, 11:05 AM Reply   
Thanks we are looking for Trinity like conditions but clearer water to take a family trip next summer. Have you ridden the Pedernales? If so what is that like?

Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-31-2012, 11:18 AM Reply   
If there is water you can't beat the Perd. Clear water, gorgeous scenery, long stretches of smooth water on weekdays, and most weekends, I have even found decent water on holiday weekends out there. The problem is that the water level is usually down and you cant get very far into the perd, as it is right now.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-31-2012, 11:22 AM Reply   
Lake Dunlap, Lake Austin, Canyon Lake, and Lake Travis... on weekdays or early mornings. There really isn't a secret spot for perfect water here. If there was, everyone would've found it by now and destroyed it.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-31-2012, 12:57 PM Reply   
If you want smooth and clear water, there just isn't much to choose from in TX IMO. If you ride The Dirty T all the time then you have the perfect riding spot. Just may not be the best family vacation destination. We are taking our annual trip down there this year as it is the best, if your just looking to wakeboard.
Old     (gregs_place)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-31-2012, 12:58 PM Reply   
The colorado arm of lake lbj during the week is the place to ride
Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-31-2012, 1:01 PM Reply   
where are you located in texas? i would head to broken bow in OK or up to Ouchita up in hot springs if that is doable. much better scenery than you can get in texas and the waters are clear.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-31-2012, 5:59 PM Reply   
+1 for Ouachita
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-31-2012, 8:00 PM Reply   
Personally, I hate riding rivers no matter how much butter it has. IMO, rivers in Texas have current and current moves stuff...like logs (or dead bodies in the Brazos near Waco). I've been on the Brazos twice and have hit things twice (no damage thank goodness). Belton Lake during the week is money in the Spring, Summer, and Fall as long as it's not a north wind (which is not the usual wind pattern). There are two areas on Belton Lake that on weekdays it could be blowing 50mph and it would still be butter due the cliffs that block the wind. People who say the Belton Lake isn't good have no idea on how to watch the wind patterns and don't know the lake (afterall, Belton Lake is about 25 miles long from tip to tip). Lake Austin is great on weekdays until Thursday when people start sneaking out early for the weekend. Lake Travis would be good in plenty of places...just needs more water, it's 50+ feet low. Don't know what matters about "clear" water but most of the Central Texas lakes are pretty clear (Belton Lake is easily 4'-6' visibility most of the year) compared the stained/muddy waters of the Trinity and Brazos Rivers. The lakes in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area are very stained/muddy as well.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-01-2012, 7:01 AM Reply   
Ya I'm not much of a lake person due to the fact I ride the Trinity, yes there can be submerged logs at times but in my expierence with Texas lakes you have to be there at the perfect time and the correct day in order to get favorable waters. Ive heard broken bow has nice scenery we are untreated in going there and also Arkansas but no further.

Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-02-2012, 10:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22vdrive View Post
Ya I'm not much of a lake person due to the fact I ride the Trinity, yes there can be submerged logs at times but in my expierence with Texas lakes you have to be there at the perfect time and the correct day in order to get favorable waters. Ive heard broken bow has nice scenery we are untreated in going there and also Arkansas but no further.

Very true about most Texas lakes. That's mainly because most Texas lakes are exposed in open areas with little to block the wind. Now as far as lakes in the Texas hill country, those lakes are usually lined by tall, steep hills, and/or cliffs. That's the case in the Central Texas (Austin, Marble Falls, Temple/Killeen area).
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       11-15-2012, 3:29 PM Reply   
We have ridden both and I will say I love to ride rivers in my area just because we do not have much wind block. As long as you don't try to ride the rivers directly after a big rain you should be OK.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-18-2012, 7:02 PM Reply   
lake austin is super rad this time of year!

in the summer it is good on weekdays anytime before 4 and at sunset!
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       11-18-2012, 7:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarslayer View Post
lake austin is super rad this time of year!

in the summer it is good on weekdays anytime before 4 and at sunset!
Yep. Perfect wakesurfing time of year on Lake Austin.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-19-2012, 7:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post
Yep. Perfect wakesurfing time of year on Lake Austin.
i know! if your out when the surfers are out i recommend using their rollers for doubleups!

or bring a potato launcher
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       11-19-2012, 10:40 AM Reply   
Trinity River is my home riding spot. We took some trips to other lakes last year as well (Canyon Lake, Lake Somerville, Lake Belton, and Ray Hubbard,) and we were extremely disappointed in every single one of them. None of them even compare to the Trinity as far as riding conditions go, which is probably why Hyperlite chose to make all there 2013 videos there.

As for logs, I have been on the Trinity for 2 years and not hit anything (knock on wood) so you must not be paying attention AJ or just have some horrible luck.

Clear water would be awesome but I'm not going to sacrifice smoothness to get it. Other great things about the Trinity is how secluded you can be and the wildlife. This year alone we saw a family of deer swim across the Bethy Creek cut right in front of our boat, family of hogs swimming across the river, an the last time out we passes 4 alligators, each one at least 10 ft long. Bald eagles are also common on the Trinity.

No where in the state that I have been to compares IMO. And you can go 24+ miles in one direction without having to turn around and it is glass the whole way.

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       11-19-2012, 11:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarslayer View Post
i know! if your out when the surfers are out i recommend using their rollers for doubleups!

or bring a potato launcher
We had a nice wakesurfer power turn in front of us while pulling my 5yr old wakeboarding yesterday! He was able to ride it out and thought it was fun...me, not so much.