Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-16-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
Do to work schedules, my buddies and I usually board from the evening into the dark. Do light bars actually work for wakeboarding in the dusk-to-dark range? Or do they blind the skier?

I may build a light bar... And am deciding between the following:

Skylon uses these:
Upload
I believe they have a 25 degree beam.. Anybody with Skylon light bars, is that two wide of a beam, or just right....thoughts?

Or I may uses these:
Upload
I believe these have an 18 degree beam.

I personally like the looks of the first set, though they're about twice as expensive. I'm pretty much looking for peoples experience and thoughts here..
Old    walt            03-16-2006, 7:53 PM Reply   
I know it's not a answer to your question but I always figured your admitting that it dark if you have your lights on.

Instant ticket,
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-16-2006, 8:07 PM Reply   
I love mine. Mainly because we arrive after dark alot and they are great for light while carrying your camp gear to primative sites, and anchoring/docking. Now as far as riding, it's illegal here in Cali after dark, but I will admit that we've done it and it's a blast. Mine do not blind you at all and the wake is lit nicely to about ten feet outside the transition. One thing you will find is the glare off the dash. I sewed up a half-bimini that snaps on to block the glare on the dash, works great. I built mine for under a hundred bucks. I'll try and post a pic later...
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-16-2006, 8:15 PM Reply   
your better off riding to moon light, lights reflect to bad off the water to be any good. Having an amber lens helps reduce the glare. Liek everyone has already metnioned they are great for nite docking and unloading/ loading
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-16-2006, 8:30 PM Reply   
What about surfing? It seems as if that would work out well at dusk and later... But riding legally is another issue..?
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-17-2006, 5:02 AM Reply   
Surfing is the only circumstance where my light bar would produce enough light. There's no way I could ride at night with them on. I've got the Liquid Audio light bar.

Great for parking, and carrying crap up the dock, but forget riding.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-17-2006, 5:44 AM Reply   
Perfect for surfing. It's all I use mine for... well, that and navigating through my canal late at night.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-17-2006, 6:02 AM Reply   
Yep, I'm aware of the legality issues.

So basically, what I'm hearing is that light bars really don't work for this application?

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-17-2006, 6:09 AM Reply   
and yes mine works great for surfing. here's a 3 light bar that I made.Upload
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-17-2006, 6:40 AM Reply   
Hey Adam,

Couple questions,
Is that 1 1/2" tube?
What did you use for end-caps on the tube?
Where did you get the mooring/running light?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-17-2006, 7:26 AM Reply   
The bar is proabbly 1.5 inch tubing...it's actually a boss knight rider bar I found on ebay for $40 and the lights came from Auto zone (exact lights titan uses) I go the ones with the amber lens...they don't reflect as bad. I htink I have a manual on how to build a light bar somewhere , shoot me an email. I'll try and find it and send it to you.
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-17-2006, 7:39 AM Reply   
If you get enough lights up there, you can have a lot of fun wakeboarding! But typically, anything less than 8 lights facing backwards will not cut it.

McFly
Upload
Upload
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-17-2006, 7:48 AM Reply   
You can replace the 55watt bulbs with 100watters and 4 lights is the same as 8. the 100watt bulbs seem to be very sensative to burning out due to vibration/ shock I go through about 6 per year
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-17-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
IF your running that many light don't forget to factor in the amperage draw...you could easily pull 50 or so amps with that many on a 12 volt system. Just something to factor in.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-17-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
That's quite a light bar.

What are the 4 chrome cans hanging down from the light bar?
Upload
^^ Those...

So minimum of 8 (55w) lights to wakeboard behind?

Brad,
How much do those 100watt bulbs run?

Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-17-2006, 10:36 AM Reply   
wow mcfly what a light bar, we use ours for night surfing, and also loading. this way u dont have to worry about getting back so u have day light to load, u can board till its dark and be able to load no worries. i found are lights at a industrial light place, these lights are typically used on the back of big rigs and dump trucks for reverse lights.
Upload
Upload
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-17-2006, 11:13 AM Reply   
The 4 Chrome Bell Housings are LED pods. They shine down into the cockpit.

McFly
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-17-2006, 11:16 AM Reply   
so mclfy how many batteries do u have and what have u done to manage the power
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-17-2006, 11:32 AM Reply   
100w bulbs are 6$ from auto parts store. I have seen them at wal-mart also but don't recall the price.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-17-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
I had a seven light set-up that worked well. I had it setup with relays that controlled the front lights and the rear lights seperately. As mentioned above with the front lights on, the glare is too much. A better way for the front lights is to have them mounted under the bow like car headlights. Riding at night is a blast, and it is not that hard to see as a rider. The wake is well lit up, but cutting out from the wake is another story.
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-17-2006, 12:09 PM Reply   
I only run 2 batteries in my boats. On this particular light bar, there are 8 lights on one circuit and 4 lights on the other. I only would have all 12 on at once when the rider was riding. As soon as he fell, I would typically turn them all off. But if needed, I could run only 4 lights at a time, and not drain the batteries.

Even the promo boat that is featured on our site is ran off of 2 batteries (www.waterskiboatsdallas.com). I have never upgraded the alternator, or ran more than 2 batteries in any of my boats.

McFly
Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-17-2006, 12:12 PM Reply   
On dark nights, I hear it is a real good idea to attach a glow stick to your rider's vest so you can quickly find him when he falls. Underscore the "I hear" part. I would never advocate breaking the law. Right Kimmy?
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-17-2006, 5:53 PM Reply   
Hey Marty, Where did you score those LED light pods?
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-17-2006, 7:35 PM Reply   
Migitty matt, I had "heard" one of the handheld spot lights (1+ mil. candlewatt) work pretty well when used by the spotter, but I agree a glow stick might help if the spotter cant find him. Then again you may get some fish swimming around you when you are in the water.

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-18-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
Looks only, not practical.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-18-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
Yeah Mikeski' right. Everyone here that posted how much they use them, just disregard those posts and listen to this guy...NOT!
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-18-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
I would have to agree. I use mine quite often. I don't blaze all lights on at once very often (typically only when someone is behind it), but I run a few lights at a time quite often (loading/unloading the boat, surfing, boat cleaning/wiping down, needed light when digging thru compartments, signals to let other boaters know we are sitting still in a certain area, etc).

The bell housings are built by Mako.

McFly
www.waterskiboatsdallas.com
Old     (supralaunch21v)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-18-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
mcfly,

i have a 21v with the roswell light bar. one of the lens on the lights cracked. I think i have to replace the whole light unit. Do you know where I can get a replacement? Is is difficult to replace? Any tips?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-18-2006, 3:59 PM Reply   
Sparky give it a rest...

Craig,

Think of boarding toward a car with it's headlights pointing at your, just worse because it's reflecting off the water. Tower lights make good cargo lights as others have said. We used to ski on a private lake after dark. All dark under moonlight works well once your eyes adjust, glow sticks are a must for safety. We never had any luck with tower lights.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-18-2006, 5:01 PM Reply   
Yes, I've wakeboarded by handheld spot light before. That's why I'm considering a narrower beam and more directional light.. Before I make a large investment in lights, I'm bouncing it off the group to see if I should just build the light bar for looks, or actually try to build it such that we can wakeboard behind it.

I appreciate everyone’s input!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-18-2006, 5:19 PM Reply   
Mikeski, what am I giving a rest? You're the one with the ill-thought out post. you throw out a broad based short opinion with no explanation? You're telling me how my lights work and you've never even been on my boat? I gave good, accurate info to the poster, how bout' you?
Old     (humboldtboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-19-2006, 9:16 AM Reply   
I've boarded after dark behind Sparky's boat and had a blast. The wake is lit up pretty good, and the lights in your eyes did not bother me at all. It's not like your looking at the back of the boat, your looking into the wake. I would say the sun is worse when it on the horizon, than the lights from the boat. The freaky part is when you cut out of the lighted area, it like closing your eye's, you cannot see anything.
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-19-2006, 10:51 AM Reply   
I don't have the blinding light problem either. I make sure the main beam of each light is pointed at the wake (as close to the riders feet as I can get it). Sure, you get some floodlight in the eyes, but it is not bad at all.

I do agree that the sun on the horizon is the worst! The lights on the boat are not nearly that bad.

McFly
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-24-2006, 11:57 AM Reply   
Just got it back from the stereo shop..here is my latest light bar set up.

McFly
www.waterskiboatsdallas.com
Upload
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-24-2006, 1:02 PM Reply   
I have a boss three light bar on my current boat. They are useful for shutting down the boat at dark. Otherwise, they are useless.

Perhaps a massive light bar starts to have merit for night riding. Still, neither of these uses are of great priority to me.

On my next boat, I will definitely omit the light bar. IMO, the money is better spent in another direction.
Old     (boarder33)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-24-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
Last year at the Pleasanton boat show there was a company displaying flush mount lights. They would actually wrap around the tower and they looked really clean. Anyone seen them?
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-24-2006, 11:52 PM Reply   
Agree GD- money better spent on gas and beer...
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-24-2006, 11:56 PM Reply   
Agree GD- money better spent on gas and beer...
Old     (garman)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-25-2006, 5:39 PM Reply   
B Tingey, What kind of bracket are you using to attach your light bar to your tower?