Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-04-2005, 2:45 PM Reply   
Ok, so I got a new tower. I bought it from a local business that built towers for some companies, this one inparticular was part of a surplus when a company backed out of a deal with them. The company left them with 7 towers, they sold one to me for $200 bucks after some negotiation, and $75 for the installation parts (for reinforcement, etc...). The tower is designed for a pontoon boat, so I have a tower designed for a 100" or so beam. This is no problem, we can cut the tower down 10" on each side and put it back together and it will fit.

The problem is...I'm not sure how to mount it over the windshield portion of the boat (i.e. like most towers). It isn't really long enough to reach two flat places (one in front of the windshield, one behind the windshield, next to the driver). I do NOT want to mount the tower in the back of the boat for a # of reasons. It's a short boat (17'), it already has a high bow and heavy backend, and it just looks silly.

Would bending the tower to make it fit work? Could it be mounted on the sides as opposed to the flat surfaces on topside? Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Here is the tower...

tower full pic...
tow point
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-04-2005, 3:56 PM Reply   
just mount the rear legs on a flat surface and mount the front legs on side of gunwale above rubrail. bending the tower may cause increased flex and take away from structural integrity and that coupled with flexing promotes heavy stress cracks at mounting points. be sure and cover fiberglass mounting surface with tape before drilling and putting the drill in reverse will eliminate a lot of the spider cracks and chipping associated with drilling fiberglass surfaces. good luck!
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-04-2005, 5:59 PM Reply   
You may want to use heim joints for the angles since you can't mount to a flat spot. Contact Bill at Monster Tower, I wouldn't be surprised if he would give you some suggestions or even sell you some parts.
Also, check out this website: http://www.bierbower.net/diytower/home.htm
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-05-2005, 6:22 AM Reply   
$200 is a killer price, you did good and they had way more than that in it. I agree with Ryan on mounting, and read a few install manuals from the tower companies out there as well for ideas. On a project like that there will be a lot of "figure it out as you go". Dive in and post up your progress and any specific questions that come up.

We dont sell pieces and parts of towers for various reasons but www.diyTower.com provides a lot of support for diy projects as well.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-05-2005, 6:26 AM Reply   
BTW, what kind of boat it is?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-05-2005, 6:28 AM Reply   
If you want help for placement, post a picture with it roughly installed where you want it, then people can get an idea what you are talking about.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-05-2005, 6:36 AM Reply   
I'm at campus during finals, but I go home tonight and can get a picture of the boat and where I'd like to post the tower.

It's an older boat, it's an '86 Glassport 165RX I/O. It was a repossessed (spelling?) boat. Only paid $1000 for the boat, as that was all the repossesing bank was out on it from the loan. It runs really well, and that's all that matters to me till I get out of college. I'll post some pics tonight or tomorrow
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-06-2005, 6:00 PM Reply   
I'll go ahead and apoligize for the poor photography, I was in a hurry to take these before nightfall. I'd post a picture with it "roughly installed" but if I were to sit the tower on top of the boat now, it'd be about 20" too wide (as we've not chopped it yet).

I'd have to say it isn't a bad buy for $1000 bucks, but let me know your suggestions for mounting the tower.

Thanks!!!!

Parts for tower
boat from front
boat side
boat behind

boat from front
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-10-2005, 10:20 PM Reply   
Any advice? Bumpin the thread back up.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-11-2005, 6:00 AM Reply   
find the spot where the rear legs will sit on the flat portion of the gunnel AND the front legs are close enough to mount sideways/vertical in front of the windshield, this will take some measuring and trial fitting. You should be able to bend the legs slightly but any more then that and it may bite you by weakening the aluminum