Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-30-2013, 8:21 AM Reply   
Took two guys out last night that I have been mentoring for a while and had them work on backrolls (first invert attempt for them) and I think I had more fun than them watching them learn (the stoke was pretty high all around the boat yesterday) lol . They are getting pretty close, but I do have a question, was the backroll a good first invert to teach them? They both have solid wake jumps (more comfortable on heels, but I'm pretty sure everyone is lol) or should I have gone with the tantrum?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-30-2013, 8:26 AM Reply   
Backroll is a good first invert.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-30-2013, 8:40 AM Reply   
+1 That was my first invert behind boat and cable.

Old     (CasMarks)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-31-2013, 6:37 AM Reply   
I too find myself getting more amped when I teach a friend a trick than I do when I land a new one myself (can't claim on camera right?). It has been about an even split between who has landed a tantrum and backroll first but I think someone with less board control would be more fit to try a backroll as the trip off the wake can confuse newer people.
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-31-2013, 8:18 AM Reply   
Backroll and Tantrum was the easiest for me to learn first

Back in the day i threw a tantrum first, then backroll, then tantrum 2 blind

Tantrum felt easier to rotate and land for me.
Old     (WakeJp12)      Join Date: Apr 2013       07-31-2013, 1:31 PM Reply   
My first invert was a backroll and I still think they're easier to learn than tantrums.. but all of my friends disagree haha
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-31-2013, 1:58 PM Reply   
I also think backrolls are easier. I tried a few backrolls and a few tantrums when deciding which one to learn first and I was able to get the feel for a backroll the first one I tried. I can do backrolls now but am still struggling with the edge change on a tantrum.
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-31-2013, 2:12 PM Reply   
Thanks for the responses guys, I can do both and I would say my tantrums are more consistent because of really being able to see the landing.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-31-2013, 2:41 PM Reply   
I say backroll all the way. For some reason, tantrums always give me pause. Probably always will. Also, is it just me or does it seem like about 25% of all broken legs referenced on this forum are tantrum-related? And, I definitely agree that watching people try new stuff and/or teaching them new stuff is sweet.
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-01-2013, 4:08 AM Reply   
Weird about the broken leg reference.

Mine was learning the HSBS3. Broken ankles. My best friend landed his first one ever thrown. His second caught a toeside edge and broke his tib/fib. Nasty break.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-01-2013, 4:26 AM Reply   
I'd also say go with the BR first which is what I learned. There is no trip or edge change to worry about like with the tantrum.

Also when training backrolls you can slow the boat down and shorten the rope which make the falls far less painful.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-01-2013, 9:55 AM Reply   
Driving a dumper helps with learning a tantrum if they are letting off their edge too soon.
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-01-2013, 9:58 AM Reply   
What about toeside front roll?
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-01-2013, 11:08 AM Reply   
I learned a TS front roll at a clinic literally right after landing my first backrolls. If you're teaching the mexican backroll it should be easy for the person riding to get the ts front motion as it is the same thing after you release off the wake. (drop back hand, throw head towards back knee)