Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Malibumofo)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-09-2013, 9:11 PM Reply   
Does anyone have any ideas why my rev 10 horn is not working? I have 6 rev 10's, all which were tuned with an oscilloscope.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-10-2013, 6:47 AM Reply   
I just had the same problem with one of my REV 410'S turned out to be a bad crossover
Old     (Malibumofo)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-10-2013, 9:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
I just had the same problem with one of my REV 410'S turned out to be a bad crossover
Did you test it with a multimeter by chance? I'm getting signal past the crossover but not on the back of the speaker horn connections. I'm assuming bad horn.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-10-2013, 10:04 AM Reply   
if you tested it with a meter and get signal past the crossover then the horn is bad. Get in touch with Rob at wetsounds he helped get me back up and running in less than a week
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-11-2013, 10:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibumofo View Post
Did you test it with a multimeter by chance? I'm getting signal past the crossover but not on the back of the speaker horn connections. I'm assuming bad horn.
I'm curious about your diagnosis since the crossover highpass filter has a series capacitor making it impossible to check for continuity to the tweeter. Did you measure AC or DC and did you apply the same measurement to a known working tweeter?

David
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-11-2013, 10:58 AM Reply   
Dave could you not do an ohms test on the horn to see if it is bad ?? Also I would like to add I bought my speakers through Earmark and Dave although retired now helped me out and Odin at Earmark called me personally and offered to handle things for me if I did not have time. Off subject but I wanted to share the great service I have always received from Earmark
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-11-2013, 3:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
Dave could you not do an ohms test on the horn to see if it is bad ?? Also I would like to add I bought my speakers through Earmark and Dave although retired now helped me out and Odin at Earmark called me personally and offered to handle things for me if I did not have time. Off subject but I wanted to share the great service I have always received from Earmark
Harold,
Absolutely, you can disconnect the passive crossover and measure the DCR of the tweeter to make sure that is it reading functional. But if it checks out positive then you have to move upstream and confirm the real problem.....which led me to the DC measurement issue on a passive highpass crossover.

David
Old     (Malibumofo)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-11-2013, 8:51 PM Reply   
David, I tested continuity on the black and white wires that come off the crossover and supply the tweeter. I believe the meter read 195 and the black and red wire read 55 that supply the woofer. I also used a aa battery to see/hear a pop and nothing was heard. I also swapped out a working speaker from another rev 10 to validate this. I did purchase the two sets of rev 10's thru you/Odin. With not running the system very hard and having the entire system tuned professionally, for the cost, I'm not really happy with the quality of the rev 10's. they should be bulletproof as far as I'm concerned.
Old     (Malibumofo)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-11-2013, 9:28 PM Reply   
I take that back. It was on ac and the woofer read about 45 and the tweeter read 9. But like I said I switched the woofers out and it worked.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-12-2013, 7:28 AM Reply   
Eric,
A battery is DC, definitely not the test instrument to use on a raw tweeter versus a midbass or woofer. If it wasn't damaged before it would be now. Also, a passive highpass filter on a tweeter will not pass DC from a battery.
I would get in touch with Odin ASAP and start by getting another tweeter diaphram on the way to you.....if you feel comfortable with doing this yourself (Odin can walk you through it). If not, then get the speaker back to Odin and let him handle the diagnosis and warranty.
Btw, getting the tweeter diaphram back for inspection is important in determining the cause.

David
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-12-2013, 8:03 AM Reply   
I dont own the WS products nor an apologist and certainly realize you spent a crap load of money on them but sometimes things just go wrong no matter how bullet proof they are. Not trying to start anything but my first call would have been to either Tim or whomever I bought them and had it ready for shipping this morning. While I do not own their products I have heard Tim takes care of problems when they arise. Just send the one speaker back and am sure you will have another one on its way to replace it.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-12-2013, 8:12 AM Reply   
David,
You can purchase just the diaphram for one of the 10's horns?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-12-2013, 8:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowwboy View Post
David,
You can purchase just the diaphram for one of the 10's horns?
Certainly.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-12-2013, 8:49 AM Reply   
PM sent