Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-19-2011, 5:57 PM Reply   
Curious if anyone is towing their boat with a Cayenne second generation (2011 and up)?

Thinking about maybe getting rid of our Sequoia for something that would be more fun as a driver, too.

Boat and trailer (X-Star on MC tandem) would be well within the Cayenne's stated towing limits, but would be curious to hear from someone with real-world experience.

Input would be very welcome. Thank you.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-22-2011, 7:56 AM Reply   
If you want real world experiences on the Gen2 I'd recommend going to the Porsche owner forums and asking around:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/
and
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/

There is a wealth of knowledge on these vehicles on both sites. Definitely use the search feature before asking if you venture to either site. I have a 06 Turbo and I know when I was researching there were a lot of guys pulling their 911's to the track behind Cayennes. Often times their setups weigh more than ours till you count enclosed trailer, car, tools, extra tires, ect.

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but I'll share my experiences with my 06. In the research I did it was apparent the air suspension was a must. I originally was looking for an S, but in the used market I quickly realized there weren't any S models out there with air suspensions (standard in the Turbo). I agree with all the other opinions I read and would never buy another one of these vehicles without an air suspension if planning to tow. The ride quality, acceleration and braking are amazing in this vehicle even with a 5-6,000lb boat behind you. Our family business has F350s and Chevy 3500s, I've towed with a lot of different trucks and nothing rides as nicely or makes me feel as safe while towing as my CTT. Some truck enthusiasts might argue wheelbase, ignore them, if they haven't towed with one of these vehicles they don't know what they're talking about (unless it's the V6 which IMO they shouldn't even make, I don't think you'll hear anything bad about the towing capability of these vehicles). Looking back the S would've been plenty and if you can't find one on a lot, you should be able to order an S with an air suspension. The Turbo was overkill, but is a ton of fun to drive. The 2nd generation trimmed a couple lbs off the curb weight, added a little cabin space, improved the electronics, and increased the specs on hp and torque across the model lineup. If money didn't matter, I'd have a new Turbo tomorrow...

One more note: the 1st gens had an issue with LED trailer lights not working, you will probably see threads discussing this. Not sure if they fixed this or not on the Gen 2, but there is a special 7-5 pin adapter that be purchased from U-haul for $30 that corrects the issue (most normal 7-5's will just make the trailer lights blink)..

Last edited by sp0tts; 08-22-2011 at 8:02 AM. Reason: _
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-22-2011, 8:30 PM Reply   
Same platform as the Touareg, thus I think it would be great for towing your xstar. Brakes are huge on that truck and engine should not be an issue.

I would try and stick with air suspension as it keeps everything nice and level with the trailer and gear loaded.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-22-2011, 8:43 PM Reply   
A recent thread was talking about how air suspensions are terribly reliable. I believe that was mainly directed at US vehicles, but still. I would just make sure you have a warranty with it, but I suppose if you are taking about buying a 2nd gen porsche money isn't too much of an object.

FWIW when I was looking into Touareg's and Cayennes's, consensus seemed like they were pretty solid for towing. I could only buy one used, so the reliability factor scared me away however.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-23-2011, 12:58 PM Reply   
Air Suspension is reliable.... we are on our 2nd Touareg of 4yrs (2004 model and 2008 model) and never had an issue at all.

The 2008 has been a dream with nothing more than oil changes done to it! Brakes were done at 60,000kms in the front and 72k in the rear.

Oh and at 82,000kms we're on the OEM Goodyear LS-2 tires as we rotate with 17" snow tires from late October to early April

Last edited by gti2lo; 08-23-2011 at 1:00 PM. Reason: added text
Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-23-2011, 4:19 PM Reply   
You can't go wrong with the Cayenne II or Touareg 2!

I have a 2008 T2 V8, fully loaded with air suspension & locking differentials...properly equipped, the T2 can tow 7,700 lbs!

I almost got stuck pulling my boat onto the trailer a few weeks ago...the other ramps were closed so I used a local dirt/mud/clay ramp! It was super shallow so I had to raise the suspension all the way up - the rear bumper was literally underwater and the water came up *just* beneath the open driver's door. After I got the boat on the trailer and cranked it up, the weight of the boat caused the rear wheels to just start spinning! So I put it in N, shifted the 4x4 knob to low, pressed the 'lock' button for the differentials & heard the click. I put it in Drive and it pulled right out! The locals were SURE I was gonna be stuck!!!

I have a similar story about getting stuck in a DEEP snowy neighborhood picking up a buddy on the way up to Stowe for the best powder day of the season...safe to say, we made it there before they opened!
Attached Images

Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-23-2011, 8:46 PM Reply   
Old     (arrydjay)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-24-2011, 4:35 PM Reply   
We tow our VLX with a 2011 Cayenne. Couldn't imagine anything better, tows it like a dream, stops on a dime, if it wasn't for the width of the boat you could forget it was back there.
We have got the diesel and it has heaps of torque, we beat most cars off the lights with the boat on the back, plus we get awesome economy. Without the boat I have done 1400km to a tank and with the boat its not much more.

Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-25-2011, 5:47 AM Reply   
rich mother ****ers..

I'm envious - those Cayenne II's are bananas.
Old     (TheSqueakyWheel)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-25-2011, 6:20 AM Reply   
Any of you guys towing with Cayennes/VW going up big hills?
Once a year I tow from Denver to Lake Powell - which includes two passes up to 10,000'.
It's hard for me to believe a naturally aspirated Cayenne/VW would match the diesel Expedition. Maybe the turbo.....

Our Sequoia tows great on the flats, but the big v8 struggles at 10,000' towing 4200 lbs
Old     (gregtay)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-25-2011, 7:19 AM Reply   
Yes, hills... VERY big hills...with a big boat (23LSV.) I just set the cruise at 70 and forget about it... hardly downshifts. I have a 2008 Touareg V10TDI (twin turbo 5.0L TDI)... most amazing tow vehical ever. Honestly forget the boat is back there. And it does it while still getting 15-16MPG while towing. Simply magical.
Old     (TheSqueakyWheel)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-25-2011, 7:25 AM Reply   
Greg...you have a TDI....I'd expect nothing less.....

I'd like to hear from those with naturally aspirated gas engines.

Thanks
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-25-2011, 9:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Any of you guys towing with Cayennes/VW going up big hills?
Once a year I tow from Denver to Lake Powell - which includes two passes up to 10,000'.
It's hard for me to believe a naturally aspirated Cayenne/VW would match the diesel Expedition. Maybe the turbo.....

Our Sequoia tows great on the flats, but the big v8 struggles at 10,000' towing 4200 lbs
You're asking us to compare a turbo aspirated diesel Expedition to a naturally aspirated Cayenne/VW?
1. Not really trying to compare apples to apples.
2. Ford isn't currently making a diesel expedition, I'd bet the Eco-Boost becomes available in the Expedition at some point.

The real answer to your question is a naturally aspirated Cayenne will perform about to the level of an upgraded displacement V8 truck or full sized SUV (expedition or sequoia). If you want to fly up a pass with a boat behind you, chances are you're gonna need the Turbo or V10 diesel VW. I can tell you with my Turbo towing my VLX I can be doing 75+ by the time I hit the end of most interstate on ramps if I want. And if I'm doing 65 and hit a grade on the interstate where the tractor trailers are doing 45, I can easily accelerate to 85+ with the boat behind me while going up the grade. I don't like to push it too hard, but there is more power there than I need or would have with most other vehicles.

Last edited by sp0tts; 08-25-2011 at 9:54 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (justsan)      Join Date: May 2009       08-25-2011, 3:53 PM Reply   
So cool -I didn't even know the Cayenne came with a tow package!
Old     (arrydjay)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-25-2011, 6:03 PM Reply   
Yeah my Cayenne is TDI, Im not sure if you guys have that over in the states or not.
Old     (slfxm)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-25-2011, 8:34 PM Reply   
Just out of curiosity--what do you all do for a living? I'd like to know so I can tell my kids what career they should be considering!