Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (whelchel86)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-14-2011, 1:53 AM Reply   
So I know some folks are running switches to turn certain amps on and off to conserve some battery juice. I was thinking about the different ways to do this but figured I should ask to see how everyone else is doing it if there is an industry standard for this. Technically, I can turn certain amps on /off now by pulling fuses from my distribution block but I think we all know that's just not going to cut it.

If anyone would like to give me advise for my specific set-up, there are several things that would probably be good to know. Here's what I'm working with:

1. 4 amps with a supposed total output of 1400 watts(on paper). mono for sub, 4ch. for cabin, and 2-2ch.s for tower speakers.

2. All amps, batteries, and head unit are on port side of boat in cabinet and under seat. (Supra Sunsport)

3. Fused power wire from battery to 1-in/4-out fused distribution block to each amp

4. Remote wire runs from head unit to WS420(under steering wheel) then 3 remote wires follow each RCA from there to each individual amp. This is 10 feet each wire, each way. (only done this way because of some RCA's I bought that had a remote wire built in to them so it looks cleaner. I was later told that was not the intended use for that extra wire but hey, it works...)

5. Of course I want the switches for these to be at the driver console.

I figure there are two options for where to switch the power. Either in the actual power wire or in the remote wires between the WS420 and the amps. Of these two options, the remote wire certainly sounds better. Though I believe I have read somewhere before that there can be a problem with putting switches directly in remote lines...? It also seems that I have read somewhere that relays should be used in this process. So help me out, how is it really done?

Thanks in advance.