Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-10-2011, 12:31 PM Reply   
Are any of you guys into Supermoto? I know CIE-Evan had that DRZ, and I think got rid of it for a XR600 SM?

I have a DRZ434, but it kind of sucks in San Antonio, I really don't know anyone else that rides them.

For any of you SM guys, where do you ride, ever ride on a go kart track? I've heard some SM guys talk about that. I considered going to a full on motorcycle track, but think I would embarass myself since I'm still not all that great on pavement yet.
Old    SamIngram            01-10-2011, 12:38 PM Reply   
I have an '07 KTM 950 SM that I occasionally ride. A group of us use to go ride at Firebird every chance we got, but I haven't gone in a while. I was riding it to work, but usually ride my BMW 650 Dakar.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-10-2011, 12:54 PM Reply   
KTM 950 SM? envy.

I was trying to talk my dad into getting one of those for a long time, mainly so he could pay for it and I could ride it, but it never happened.

Does Dakar in the BMW model name have anything to do with the Dakar rally?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-10-2011, 1:03 PM Reply   
I got rid of my DRZ, but kind of regret it. Great bike, but like you said.... We've got a ton of great roads around here. It's hilly and there are a lot of tight twisties. Basically super moto heaven. I've got a RD350 right now that's a total blast (1975 2 stroke twin), but I think it's days are numbered. I think I'd like to get rid of my CR250 and the RD and get a KTM 450EXC that's street plated. I'd like to get into some back country adventure riding.

Find the local scene. Around here there are numerous venues for supermotos. They're usually on dedicated tracks, or go cart tracks. You could run a full size track in the beginner group and do just fine. People run everything in the beginner groups and there are all ranges of speeds. Probably wont be riding advnaced groups with the DRZ, but you'll have fun in the slower groups.

And yes, the Dakar is in reference to the rally. That's a cool, do everything bike. I'm sure the 950 SM is a blast. I was looking hard at those and the Super Duke when I got rid of my DRZ. I think I'm holding off until after kids these days. I wouldn't want to get one, then knock up the wife and let it sit. Oh well.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-10-2011, 1:14 PM Reply   
You know Evan, I've ridden a stock DRZ and it was a lot of fun, but the guy I traded my KTM for his supermoto, put a lot of work into it. It has big carb, big bore kit, hotcams, flywheel, etc, etc, etc. It's at 49hp and so much more powerful than a stock or lightly modded DRZ. With that said, I wouldn't buy a DRZ and put a ton of money into to make it more powerful, I'd just buy a KTM like you mentioned to get the power from the start without spending a ton of money and doing a lot of work.

You got any pics of the RD? Why are its days numbered? Parts hard to come by? I love those old 2 strokes....the cafe racer style is real cool IMO

I think Cali has more people into SM than TX, or San Antonio at least...I feel like a lone wolf.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-10-2011, 5:01 PM Reply   
Don't be afraid of the track. It's a blast and you'll not regret trying it.

I started with this. XR650l. Had a great time running around town looking for things to get into.

After a few track days I was hooked and moved to this. CRF450

My ten year old son started riding the track on his little TTR90 and got hooked as well. I decided to bump him up as well for Christmas. SX65

Sumo is a total blast and sumo track riding is the best. My son and I are planning on racing this season. I actually have my first winter race Sunday.

Last edited by seattle; 01-10-2011 at 5:10 PM.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-10-2011, 6:41 PM Reply   
Nice! Is that a CRF R or X? looks great! liking your sons SM mini too
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-11-2011, 5:58 AM Reply   
It's an R with a hot cam and high compression piston. Riding it is like riding a willd animal! I just had the front re sprung and the rear dropped for better rake and trail handling. I'm hoping this will tame the wheelies down the straight and chattering when I hit hard on the brakes into the corners.Thes bike are sooooo much fun on the cart track!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-11-2011, 7:32 AM Reply   
That thing is dope Cliff. 450Rs have big balls. Does it have a speedo? I'm curious about the top speeds you have reached on that thing.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-11-2011, 10:31 AM Reply   
The RD is cool, just a bit limited. Really cool to just have around, but it's a pre-mixer and it kinda limits it's range. You don't want to get too far from home. It's fun and fast though. You could really surprise some newer sport bikes with the right pilot. Parts are easy to get. I'd really have to pour about $2k into it to get what I really want. As it sits I could make some cash on it. If I dump a bunch of coin into it I don't think I'll get it back.

I think the main reason is that I'd like to get the cash out of it to pour into a plate EXC.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-21-2011, 5:19 AM Reply   
Evan have you checked out the KTM 690 supermoto? Sexy bike.

I just got all new plastic with graphics already installed. A guy on supermoto junkie blew his motor and was parting everything out. I got all his brand new plastics/graphics that he hadn't even installed for a killer deal. I think I'm going to remove the number "1" I feel kind of arrogant cruising around with number one plates.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-21-2011, 7:25 AM Reply   
You are going to wish you had gear on when that trick goes south.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-21-2011, 9:59 AM Reply   
haha...totally.

I'm looking at a 2001 Honda AF 500 tonight. The guy is brining it to my house. If I pick it up, it would be cool to covert it in the summer time to a supermoto track bike. Of course it would never be street legal, but on the track, it should spank pretty much anything around.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-21-2011, 10:35 AM Reply   
More than likely it'd spank the rider the worst. I've heard (from a guy with a 500 supermoto) that 500's are all but un-rideable on anything but dirt. It'd be interesting to try. It'd be an un-real hill climber, though. You really need to get one so I can try it out. Ha, ha.

Bendow, the 690 is rediculous. I was checking those out when I was looking at 450exc's. It was all I could do to leave the dealer without buying a bike that day. I think the only thing that saved me was that I wanted a super duke, 690sm and a 450exc equally. FWIW, I thought about putting something on the number plates of my supermoto, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. That bike was already a cop magnet. It didn't need any more attention.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-21-2011, 10:36 AM Reply   
Uh, incidently... if you pick that up tonight, I fully expect you're bringing it to Stonyford this weekend. That'd be siiiiiiiiiiiick.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-21-2011, 10:42 AM Reply   
Hmmm...did they say why? It should be lighter than the 4 stroke SM's, so it should stop faster, and should easily out accelerate. I would think a lighter bike with more power would be an advantage. The 500s are supposed to have less of a hit, and more of a smooth powerband, so I have heard.

I don't think I will get it tonight. We're negotiating a trade in the middle of everything. The chances of agreeing on everything and me pulling the cash tonight is slim. I have somewhere to be!
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-21-2011, 12:55 PM Reply   
"Hmmm...did they say why?"

I looked at them before deciding on a CRF. The guys at the track steered me away from them for a couple reasons.

Manageable power curve. The CR500 power band is either wide the "F" open or nothing at all. They are nightmare to control coming out of corners set up in a sumo platform. In the dirt you can spin the tire up and shoot on exit. On pavement that type of power curve will light you up and having you praying you don't high side coming out of corners.

High speed maintenance. The the top ends don't live long if they're ridden wide open for any length of time. Bad deal when you're riding a larger sumo track with long straights.

Last edited by seattle; 01-21-2011 at 1:00 PM.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-21-2011, 1:22 PM Reply   
"The the top ends don't live long if they're ridden wide open for any length of time."
Yeah the same can be said the the valves on the 450R though. On the 500, there are no valve adjustments, or replacements. Maintenance should be less on the 500. Besides, I do pistons and rings on my bike every 4-6 months. It's very easy. Never have to go to a shop.

"The CR500 power band is either wide the "F" open or nothing at all. "
I haven't ridden one yet, but the reason the guys love hill climbing on 500s is because they're (supposed) to be smooth throughout the powerband and a lot more grunt in the low and mid range. It's supposed to be very different than the 250Ts which have a unsmooth transition into the powerband as the powervalve (exhause port) opens and you get into the meat of the power.

But, as you pointed out, wheel-spin in the dirt changes everything.

Last edited by jarrod; 01-21-2011 at 1:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-21-2011, 10:08 PM Reply   
Valves on the CRF will last a heck of a lot longer than people think if you leave the air box alone. Biggest problem with the CRF valves is dirt. People want to open the air box and slap on after market intakes in an effort to increase performance. In many cases the after market parts don't seal proper or don't filter adequately. Leave the air box stock, change the oil every time you take it out and check the valves every ten hours. If you do these things you shouldn't have any issues for quite some time. The other option is to replace the valves with stainless. You loose a little power but they'll hold up to abuse much much better than the oem valves. I plan on going stainless the end of this season.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-22-2011, 5:30 AM Reply   
Didja get it? I had a 500 steelie for a while. They are a gas to ride, but I prefer my 380 for most situations, mostly because it has a flatter powerband. The CR500's didn't have power valves. The thing I didn't like was the vibration, which is probably worse with an AL frame. Can't imagine what it'd be like with 100% traction, surely hard to keep the frontend down.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-22-2011, 5:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Valves on the CRF will last a heck of a lot longer than people think
I hope you still believe that in a couple years.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-22-2011, 10:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trace View Post
I hope you still believe that in a couple years.
Two years???

This bike won't last that long in my stable.

I fully intend on grabbing a fuel injected version as soon as the 09s no longer qualify for contingency.

I was wondering if any of you would be interested in doing a sumo / rr weekend this summer? My plan is to hit ORP in Oregon on the sumo one day then head on down to T - Hill to ride the Gixxer the next. Don't know if you guys have ever run on ORP ( I haven't ). It's smaller than most rr tracks and pretty technical from what I'm told. The guys I ride with up here say it's a blast on a sumo.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-23-2011, 5:39 PM Reply   
I'm always down. Just give me a few weeks notice. I can only do weekends. I'm actually looking at doing my first 2001 track day here in a few weeks.

I did not get the AF. He couldn't let it go. He didn't even take it out of the truck. His girlfriend bought my backup CR250 though.

So I'm in the market for another bike. Prob a steel frame 500.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-24-2011, 5:14 AM Reply   
A CR500 SM on the road would be so much fun! Maybe not the best bike for the track, but fun for ripping around on.
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...light=cr500+af

Evan, did you get a lot of attention from the cops? Did they think it wasn't legal or something? I really haven't ventured out too far on my DRZ yet, I just cruise around on the backroads/trails behind my house. I still need to take the MC class to get my license, this weekend.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-24-2011, 7:59 AM Reply   
wow! that's quite a project. I hate those wheels, but the rest of it looks dope.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-24-2011, 8:00 AM Reply   
Cliff, Do you still have your RC51? I found one for 3,000. Thinking about picking it up for my summer time street cruiser.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-24-2011, 9:40 AM Reply   
Ben..... It was just loud and I couldn't ride it with the front end down. Plus passing traffic on the sidewalks would probably be frowned on, too. Maybe if I had better restraint, but what fun is that?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-24-2011, 9:40 AM Reply   
RC51 would be dope. I love those bikes.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-24-2011, 10:11 AM Reply   
Got rid of the RC last spring. They're awesome bikes above 75mph but not very fun around town. The front suspension has really short travel and doesn't like bumps at all. The riding position is exagerated forward like a Duc and forces you to ride hard on your wrists even if you're focusing on your posture. The bike is really top heavy at slow speeds and feels like it's falling into corners. They make pretty good track bikes but coming from an RSV you probably won't like it much around town.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-24-2011, 10:20 AM Reply   
Yep..did a little research. they are heavier than the Aprilia, and have about 20 hp less. For $3K though, it's got to make a good commuter. I just want a V-Twin for the street.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-24-2011, 11:00 AM Reply   
Dellute yourself down a little and get a VFR. Spend a day on one and I swear you'll fall in love with it. Doesn't have the big hp of an RR, it's a little porky weight wise, suspension is soft if you really push it to it's limit and braking doesn't compare to modern rr bikes. With all that said, it's a fantastic blend of road touring, commuter and canyon carver. Nice broad torque curve, awesome balance at any speed, rider comfort is great, no problem riding two up on occasion and dependable as hell. Other than wide open straights I have no problem staying right on the modern bikes a##'s when we head out on rides. The only drawback on mine is carbs. You can pick up a mint injected 5th gen 98-01 (pre vtec) for around $3500.

Oh... and the sound of those gear driven cams spooling up in that V4 has got to be the sweetest sound a bike has ever made!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-24-2011, 11:22 AM Reply   
I'm trying to picture a VFR in my garage.............nope! can't do it.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-24-2011, 11:46 AM Reply   
Hahahahahahaha... Well I tried.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-24-2011, 12:55 PM Reply   
Evan, I couldn't agree more. It's hard to just cruise on a SM!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-01-2011, 12:51 PM Reply   
I bought a CR 500. Not an AF, but I have high hopes. Maybe by next summer I will set it up for SM track and give it a shot. I take delivery in two weeks. Just in time for our desert trip. Looking forward to unlimited power. :-)
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-01-2011, 1:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
I bought a CR 500. Not an AF, but I have high hopes. Maybe by next summer I will set it up for SM track and give it a shot. I take delivery in two weeks. Just in time for our desert trip. Looking forward to unlimited power. :-)
YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE 500!!!

JK- congrats!

Last edited by bendow; 02-01-2011 at 1:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-01-2011, 6:40 PM Reply   
There's a guy selling an XR680 on Supermotojunkine, I think I'd rather have it than my DRZ. (you have to be a member on SMJ to view for sale)

PICS http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...8AaMWjZi2YtmL8

"Up for sale or trade is my XR. Yes, its the same one on page two right now. I bought her last year from Jeff. I hate to see her go, but I want to do more track time and am looking for something a little lighter. This thing is the perfect street sm. It can handle the miles due to the extreme durability of a Honda with low maintenance. I think of her as an more powerful drz-400 in that respect. I would love to trade for a Husky 510. If not, the asking price is $5000.00 obo so I can go buy one.

2001 XR650R
Full Street Legal and tagged
Baja Designs Kit with upgraded switchgear
Keyed main power lead with circuit overide ensures bike can't be started without key
TUV approved headlight assembly with twin headlight bulbs mounts solidly to the forks
Custom LED tail light assembly with plate holder and LED turn signals

Engine, Intake and Exhaust
Engine was built in England by Mike White from http://www.mwracing.net/.
It was total stripped down a built up with all new parts..no expense spared. She runs REALLY strong and I'm told is as reliable as stock. Mike has raced his XR650R for 2 supermoto seasons without touching the engine. He has built many many of these engines for racers around the UK and Europe.
680cc engine
102mm piston (see picture blow)
New 1 piece forged Carillo rod (see picture below)
New main bearings
Stage II cams
1mm larger intake and exhaust valves
Lightened flywheel
Edelbrock Quicksilver Carb
Modified airbox with drilled air filter cover
Full Jardine Exhaust
Upgraded clutch bushing

Frame and Bodywork
Frame, forks, swingarm and many brackets powdercoated satin black
Hand made aluminum fuel tank powdercoated black
Uses CRF450 radiator shrouds and makes bike look like a CRF450
Gold Protaper handlebars in CR High Bend
Protaper top clamp powdercoated black
Acerbis Supermoto Handguards with swivel mounts
Bottom clamp sanded of all casting marks and powdercoated
Custom chain guide
Custom case guide
Supermoto Front Fender
Trimmed and black painted sidepanels
CR250 Rear Fender modification for a sleeker tails section
Black seat seatcover setup for the custom gas tank
Work Connection radiator and frame guards
All new swing arm linkage bearings and seals

Wheels and Brakes
3.5" Excel front rim with Zero Billet hub with 120/70/17 Michelin Pilot tire (not the Avon's as shown in the pictures)
5" Excel rear rim with Zero Billet hub with 160 Michelin Pilot tire (custom sprocket spacer and wheel spacers keep tire from rubbing the swingarm and the chain from rubbing the tire)
SS front brake line
Motomaster front caliper on custom caliper hanger
Modified and powdercoated rear brake caliper

Suspension
Front forks have been shortened 1.5", revalved and resprung for mostly street supermoto duty
The shock has also been shortened, revlaved and resprung for mostly street supermoto duty
She handles as firmly as a will setup race bike...not soft and spongy like most supermotos

Extras
Also included is the stock gas tank, 2 sets of stock radiator shrouds, stock front fender and an extra set of brand new black side panels, extra 15 and 16 tooth countersprockets, extra kickstand"

Last edited by bendow; 02-01-2011 at 6:45 PM. Reason: because
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-02-2011, 9:42 AM Reply   
You might be right ben. I read that a CR will hit 3 digit on the dirt wide open. They're supposed to have double the torque of a 450f
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-02-2011, 10:35 AM Reply   
Yeah, my dad used to ride CR500's up until the late 90's. I would screw around on it as a teen, but hated it because I could never keep the front wheel on the ground. My dad would always complain about it making his forearms being sore from holding on to it. Needless to say, they're a handful, but I'm sure you and your forearms will get used to it. I've always revered the CR500's and would love to have one some day.

PICS?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-02-2011, 11:47 AM Reply   
Here are some shots
Attached Images

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-02-2011, 11:49 AM Reply   
The frame has been powder coated along with other little things like the foot pegs and hubs. The Swingarm, brake pedal, tripple clamps, kick starter, etc, have been polished. The bike has a brand new top and bottom end.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-02-2011, 11:50 AM Reply   
Lines on the swingarm are a weird reflection. It is perfect.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-02-2011, 4:50 PM Reply   
Wow! looks good! I thought it'd be all beat up like most of them for sale out there. The tires look brand new....and I assume the rims are either powder coated or aftermarket?

Has the idea of throwing the 500 motor in your 250 AF frame crossed your mind yet?
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-02-2011, 6:26 PM Reply   
Very nice!

You're right up there with me on bike purchases in the past year.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-02-2011, 6:47 PM Reply   
Ultimately I'm probably headed for an AF. If I love the 500, over time I'll probably acquire everything I need to build one.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-03-2011, 6:03 PM Reply   
Nice looking 500!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-04-2011, 7:11 AM Reply   
Cliff, there's a last minute unpublished track day at thunder hill tomorrow. $160 all day A's and B's only. 30 minute sessions. If you started driving now you could make it! :-) I'll be there.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-04-2011, 7:24 AM Reply   
Looks great. I gather it's a fairly easy swap into your 01 CR250 frame for anyone that can do a little machining and weld aluminum. The airbox is plug & play, and the exhaust very near.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-04-2011, 10:51 AM Reply   
Yeah, I think the biggest issue is finding a fab guy that can line up the drive train properly to cut and weld everything into place, and do a good job at it.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-04-2011, 3:28 PM Reply   
I don't know that much about it, but I thought the rear motor mounts lined up on the AF frame and you need to fab the front mounts. I wouldn't think lining up the front and rear sprockets would be that hard...with that said, I'm sure I couldn't do it.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-05-2011, 10:44 AM Reply   
A track buddy of mine will be down there. Look for a beat up looking black 02 gixxer 1k in the back of a junker Toyata pup. He tried to convince me into road tripping but I have family commitments this weekend. Next weekend is all about the track though. I've got my first sumo race and I'm already amped up a week early.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-06-2011, 8:21 AM Reply   
Awesome day. Coolest track day ever. Only about 50 people. 30 minutes sessions with only A and B. I was pooped by 3pm

Here's a video of a lap with me. I gotta say, it took me most of the day to get used to the GSXR again. It's super fast and twitchy. I need a coulpe more days to get used to it. I was probably running 10 seconds slower than my last day on the Aprilia V-Twin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXPOr5iA5LA
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-06-2011, 8:24 AM Reply   
GoPro
Attached Images

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-07-2011, 7:36 AM Reply   
a few more action shots
Attached Images

Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-07-2011, 9:29 AM Reply   
wow - nice pics!!!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-08-2011, 7:43 AM Reply   
I have a question. It appears most of you guys are mechanically savy,(I am not!) so hopefully you can give me some ideas. I just bought a 2008 KLX450r on Saturday. I am not to familiar with how 4 strokes act, but the bike 1) is difficult to get warmed up and keep running, and 2) backfires in the pipe alot, and 3) seems to want to die unless I am all over the throttle. I am hoping this is something simple. Any ideas?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-08-2011, 7:54 AM Reply   
First thing I'd do is clean the carb. Backfiring (especially on deceleration) = lean = clogged jets.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-08-2011, 8:12 AM Reply   
I believe the bike sat for a while. I changed the gas out, but it may have been to late.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-08-2011, 8:24 AM Reply   
Sounds like valves to me. 4 Strokes backfire when the valve hangs open as it fires.

Hopefully for the sake of your bank account it just needs an adjustment and not new valves.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-09-2011, 6:31 AM Reply   
Nice pics Jarrod. Our first track day is March 16th and I'm praying the weather is half decent. I'm probably going to break down and take the NRS class so I can get my license to race this year.

Paul,

I'm on the same line with both Trace and Jarrod

If the bike is new to you and you're not comfortable with working on it I'd take it to a local mechanic and have the valves checked, carb checked / cleaned / possibly re-jetted. While it's in there I'd also have the clutch looked at just to see how much life is left on it. Dirt four strokes are finicky motors to say the least. They demand service quite often to keep them in good running condition.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-09-2011, 6:43 AM Reply   
Thanks Cliff.

I'm looking at dates for California Super Bike School. I don't have any interest in racing street bikes, but I would like to know what I'm doing, and it would be a cool experience.
Old    SamIngram            02-09-2011, 8:03 AM Reply   
Anyone ever hear of one of these? I've never heard of it... I'm always looking on ebay for interesting stuff...

2009 GAS GAS SUPERMOTARD Halley 450

I once bought an Aprilia RS50 off ebay... it was very fun and very cheap to ride... It actually taught me how to use the powerband effectively...

Last edited by SamIngram; 02-09-2011 at 8:05 AM.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-09-2011, 8:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle View Post
Nice pics Jarrod. Our first track day is March 16th and I'm praying the weather is half decent. I'm probably going to break down and take the NRS class so I can get my license to race this year.

Paul,

I'm on the same line with both Trace and Jarrod

If the bike is new to you and you're not comfortable with working on it I'd take it to a local mechanic and have the valves checked, carb checked / cleaned / possibly re-jetted. While it's in there I'd also have the clutch looked at just to see how much life is left on it. Dirt four strokes are finicky motors to say the least. They demand service quite often to keep them in good running condition.
Thats funny, because I was under the impression that 4 strokes where more reliable and took less maint! DAMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNIIIIITTTTTTT!
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-09-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
Sweet pics JARROD! You're definitely a motorcycle enthusiast.

Sam, I saw that bike just a few days ago. It's definitely a sweet looking bike. I don't know anything about Gas Gas other than when I see guys riding trials bikes, they're usually Gas Gas bikes.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-09-2011, 10:47 AM Reply   
Gas Gas is big in Europe. Just starting to make their way over here. They make a ton of Trials bikes.

Looking good Jarrod. Glad to see you finally got that thing out. Can't wait to see the 500 in action. Sooo sick!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-09-2011, 3:44 PM Reply   
Yup, Gas Gas has been around for years. Seeing them pop up more and more.

Thanks guys.