Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-17-2009, 12:13 PM Reply   
I'm posting under my hubbies name but need some suggestions. My daughter is 11 and has been wakeboarding for 3 years now. She can do w2w,butters,butters on the lip,ollies,grabs,and even 180's. Here's the problem.......... she can do the ollie 180, butter 180, and even the insideout180, landed everytime except the w2w 180. She kept falling from over rotating. Now, she is so teriffied to do any other trick that she knows. She just stands behind the boat and if we tell her to do something, anything, she just sits behind the boat and cries. She did all her 180's while practicing and then we had some friends out on the boat with us and she looked like a superstar. The next day it was a total shut down!!! She can do it and she knows that she can do it but is terified of falling now. This is so frustrating!!!!! Another thing.... my hubbie was in a competion this past weekend and we weren't going to put Jessica in it b/c we were afraid she'd freeze up. Just before the comp started he asked her if she wanted to ride and she said yes!!! We rushed to the registration table got her signed up, she didn't have her board or anything so our friends let her borrow their sons board. She had never used his board, never ridin behind this boat and rode like a champ!!!She got 4th place and was the only child that placed out of 10 females. She was so happy and we thought thats what she needed to get over her hump. She wanted to learn the Fashion Air the next day, so my hubbie told her to try the backscratcher instead. All night thats all we heard about. Next day on the boat she was the first rider in the water and guess what she did.....stood behind the boat and eventually crying.We explained to her that it was her idea to try the new trick and she didn't have to do it, to just do what she knew and have fun.Still nothing she still wouldn't do anything just made excuses...the wind was too loud in her ears, she needed music, the water was too rough. We pulled her for along time thinking she could work thru it because she had done so good the day before(she didn't try any 180's) but ended up pulling her out of the water. This is the most frustrating thing that I'v had to go thru with her. I ask her if she wants to wakeboard and tell her if she doesn't that's okay and she says she wants to. But, IF I let her quit I"m afraid she'll quit everything that is a challenge to her. I tell her she needs to face her fears and she'll feel better(remember she's already done them over and over)this has been going on for about 3 mths now. We bought a 84 Supra last year and my hubbie has made it look BAD A**, it has a good wake and we even moved on the river so she could practice more than just the weekends. She has the best equipment and the cutest bathingsuit and board shorts.(anything to boost her confidence) I know there is a fine line between encouragement and pushing your child but she has talent and I don't want her to throw it away. With all the resources at her fingertips, she could go somewhere in this sport if she could get over this HUMP! Please throw me some ideas of how to help her!!!