Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-17-2005, 5:22 PM Reply   
I know this topic has been beat to death, I've done a search...what I am wondering is: Does anybody have actual experience with these speakers. I have decided to get rid of the Boss 530's & 60's and upgrade to some long throw stuff. Are they too harsh inside the boat? I'm also still considering the NVS's. I don't need to be the loudest on the water, I guess I would rather have Quality over Quantity. Any comments?
Old    mia            05-17-2005, 9:30 PM Reply   
both are pretty good and have their pro/cons..

the major drawback to the defcons v's is their inefficency...they were designed around tru amps which are nice amps but they should run on decent quality amps such as more reasonabley priced zapco, jl, etc... there are very few amps that can throw down a stereo load of 500 rms of 2 ohms for a long period of time (class d sub amps have no problem with this) btw, this is a mjor drain on the system and when combined with a sub amp you will need 140 amp alt.(estimated)

the horn tweeter of the v's is the greatest strenght of the v's.. it is pretty smooth but keep in mind horns have a very "narrow" dispersion..

the nvs are a lot more efficent but the horn isnt as nice imo...

would suggest looking at your electrical system and your other gear.. you "might" need a alternator upgrade...

also try to ride behind both..

hope that helps..
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-18-2005, 5:47 AM Reply   
I have the V's and they sound awsome! I haven't heard the NVS's so I really can't give you a comparison. No, they are not harsh in the boat. In fact, they sound better in the boat than the 6 6.5's I had up there before. The sound to the rider is unvbelievable. Really clear, and really loud, and clear across way into the flats on each side of the wake. I am running a PPI PCX 2200 (400 watts rms) and have had no problems as of yet. And I have run long and hard for an entire weekend. If there is anything specific just ask.
Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-18-2005, 8:41 AM Reply   
Clubmyke and Chad-Thanks for the info...thats what I was looking for, someone with actual experience w/ these speakers. I like the looks of the Deafcons over the NVS's and sounds like the horns are a little more mellow for the people in the boat. I've already upgraded the alternator and have 3 blue tops...so the electrical should be OK. Anybody else?
Old     (ian30)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-18-2005, 8:48 AM Reply   
HAve you tried to order the Deafcons's? I ordered the beginning of April and still hadn't seen them last week, nor could they tell me when they might be here. I have since given up and will receive a set of addictions this week.

Just telling you in case you think you might want them right away after you make the decision to buy them.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-18-2005, 9:34 AM Reply   
I have the Defcon 4's, and absolutely love them. I know Clubmyke has heard them, and had good things to say, but I also somewhat understand the inefficency thing, but I myself do not notice this. I am no stereo guru. I just play my tunes, and love my system. I am running mine off of a Zapco 750. They crank, and sound fantastic at 80 feet, and in the boat. I could not be happier. If you are going with the 5's, go with a bit more power. I am sure you would be happy with them. TRY to find a way to listen to both the Def's and NVS, then make your decision.

Good luck.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-18-2005, 10:04 AM Reply   
Mike

Come out to the Delta and you will hear the NVS all over the place, we have the 808s on one of our shop boats are they are working out very well. Things are crazy LOUD! Your welcome to come by any time and take a listen or meet us out on the water some time. Both the NVS and Defcons sound really good, you should be happy with either of the two.
Old     (kfcflores)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-18-2005, 11:03 AM Reply   
I have the defcon II and IVs. I love them. I just bought the boat (used) this winter so I'm not sure if I'm running the right amp or if I have any alternator upgrade. I do have two batteries with a switch. Bottom line the speakers are super clear and sound great. I don't need to have the loudest boat on the water, just enough for my riders and passengers. I also like the way they look and get a ton of compliments on my set-up. Check my profile pic.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-18-2005, 11:59 AM Reply   
aahhhhhhhhhhh!!! NOT AGAIN!
Old    bigthunder            05-18-2005, 12:12 PM Reply   
Just took delivery of a pair of Addiction Speakers outfitted with the Audiobahn Flame grill. I'll post pictures and offer feedback next week. I hope they sound as good as they look!

PS This thread is like a cat with 9 lives!
Old    mia            05-18-2005, 2:01 PM Reply   
have head both....

the iv's are more efficent than the v's ( i like the iv's) ... and also the 1010's (very, very, very loud !!!!!!)

the construction is quite different on both also... i like the construction of the nvs but the mounting of the skylons is much easier...

there is no clear winner imo....each one has pro's and cons.

keep in mind this is very much a "work in progress". there are still some area's that need to be addressed :

-quick release mounting
-wider dispersion ( a array would work better)
-efficent ( run by a decent 200-250 rms amp into a 4 ohm load)
-bass
-enclosure design

there has'nt been enough r&d in the drivers, crossovers, or enclosures ( tubes make for great subs in the right enviornment but are not a efficent design for tower speakers).. though horns are very efficent.... there are better sounding drivers than horns that would work just as well and cost less...

(Message edited by clubmyke on May 18, 2005)
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-21-2005, 1:42 AM Reply   
This year it will be very tough to get Skylon Deafcon Reference IV and V unless Skylon is able to get some of the missing components quickly.
I have been in discussions with Duane and Wakeside will offer the NVS line starting in June.

These are definitely the best two high performance (pro-audio) tower speakers on the market today considering SQ and SPL.

I currently have the Deafcon V's on my VLX and I am very impressed with both the volume and the sound quality. I have about 400 watts RMS per side at 2 ohms but they do fine with 250 per side.

We are going to try a pair of the NVS 1010's on our boat next just so the Wakeside sales team can compare ourselves.

My guess is that the Skylon Deafcon Reference V's probably have slightly better sound quality and less SPL. The NVS 1010's have the highest SPL of any tower speakers on the market today. I am anxious to hear the SQ.

The biggest advantage of the NVS this year is that they are available. Skylon will lose a lot of sales due to short supply of required components to complete the IV's and V's, but I am expecting great things next season. Who knows, maybe they will still recover this season?

I'm just happy that two companies "get it" regarding SQ and SPL.

Mike
http://www.wakeside.com
Old     (the_love_muscle)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-24-2005, 10:17 PM Reply   
I have the Deafcon V's and love them. They have outstanding audio quality. They are not too loud in the boat, and great for the rider. I also had the Boss 530's and 60's and I', glad I switched. I ordered mine right after seeing them at Surf Expo last year, so I didn't have a problem getting them, but I hear there is a very long wait now. A friend of mine even canceled his order because of the long wait and went with NVS.
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-25-2005, 12:30 AM Reply   
Wakeside.com very excited to announce that we now offer the NVS line. We will have all of their products live on our site sometime this week. We will also offer package deals with Tru Technology amps at considerable discount for the package.

Now we can address the needs of the rider on the water at 80' behind the boat with good volume and sound quality. The Skylon Deafcon IV and V do pretty well at 80', but the NVS Entities are completely designed for that without compromise.

We will do a press release shortly to introduce the Addiction Series and the addition of the whole NVS line. I realize that most on this forum know about the new 2005 Addiction Series, but we will fill everyone in.

While the Entity Series meets the demands of the rider, the Addiction Series focuses on great sound quality near the boat as well and can still handle 250 - 325 watts RMS at 4 ohms. Duane told me that one of his customers has pumped over 400 watts into the Addiction and they just keep getting louder. Disclaimer - NVS only recommends up to 325 watts of high-quality amp power - anything beyond that is at your own risk.

http://www.wakeside.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code =nvs_addiction_series&Product_Count=&Category_Code =

Mike