Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-11-2006, 5:31 PM Reply   
Help! I am riding at 65 and I am consistent on heelside and toeside W2W and I have my regular toeside 180 to heelside switch W2W about 90% of the time. Every time I ride I take at least two pulls switch to work on those edges. (I can do all four of my frontside 180s one wake no problem.)

I am struggling with the HS to switch toeside 180. We tape everything so I am able to see what I am doing wrong and right. Last week I was pointing my heels out to land the trick -- which isn't right as I should be edging away on my toes. So later I tried to really commit to the toeside edge, get my chest out over the board, point the handle down, etc and the results I got from that was several pretty good front edge diggers.

Does it make sense to quit trying the 180 for a while to work on switch W2W? Or if you have any great advice for sticking that 180 I'd love to hear it. I've watched The Book, Detention, WakeTricks several times - this 180 is taunting me !
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-12-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
Are you letting go with your left hand? When I was struggling with these a couple of years ago someone told me to let go with my left hand and slam the handle down and against my right leg like it was a six-shooter and I was putting it into a holster. I landed the first one I tried after that. It sounds like you have the theory, my guess is its just practice. Best of luck.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       06-12-2006, 8:45 AM Reply   
Post a vid! Honestly, it sounds like you know what you're doing wrong, and what you need to do to fix the problem. Are you landing in the flats, or on the downslope. I found that coming in a little slower to land on the downslope of the other wake makes HSFS 180s much easier. Concentrate on getting up and over your toes and edging away from the boat on your TS edge. Keep trying, you'll get it!

-Steve
Old     (xtremebordgurl)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-12-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
I would say practice your wake to wake switch toeside jumps as much as possible, cause it sounds like you have it until you go in for the landing, so by practicing that maybe it will help get you into the mindset of doing the 180. Good luck and let us know when you stick, cause you will stick it .
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-13-2006, 4:02 AM Reply   
Thanks for the encouragement! Yesterday I rode only switch so that has got to help. I landed quite a few switch W2W heelside and today I will work on toeside. That idea of being more forceful with the handle may help, too. I will keep you all posted -- I do think it will happen this week!

My personal goal is to land all four of my FS 180s W2W so that I can start to "go big".
Old    alanp            06-17-2006, 7:20 PM Reply   
there are a couple of problems that i see when i am helping people learn this trick.
1) spinning to early
2) not looking up during the landing

1) wait to spin the 180 at the apex or preferrably on the way down doing this will have far less line tension. line tension stretches out your arm and makes you slide out on your butt.
2) not looking at the horizon. if you are staring at your feet it tends to make you lose your balance. keep your chin up and look to where you want to ride(the shoreline) you dont wanna ride to your feet, or whats under them so dont look at them.

if i were in the boat with you i would have you do several inside the wake to the outside to get a feel for it. once these are nailed. move to a normal wake jump with the 180 but only about 50%(land in the middle of the wakes) then once these were nailed move on to wake to wake.

also remember you dont need to take as large of a cut to go wake to wake on these. the line tension you create by pulling on the handle to spin will launch you further out that normal.
good luck
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-19-2006, 9:54 PM Reply   
when i was learning w2w 180's i found that it was easier if you took them really big and kinda make it a slow and lofty turn. that way you have time to spot your landing in the air and prepare for it.
Old     (jcollinge)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-20-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
I found that trying to "over rotate" the HS 180 a little helped me a lot. This usually helps when you land and your heels slip out.
Old     (cbphillips74)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-25-2006, 4:18 PM Reply   
I am a beginner but I have learned how to land this trick consistantly. I was taught to concentrate on landing on my toes as well as spinning on the way down. It is very helpful to already know how to ride switch comfortably. I've also been told that switch to regular HS is easier because your landing regular. It took me a whole summer to consistantly stomp this trick W2W.