Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (suthaforce)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-02-2011, 9:01 AM Reply   
Kind of a dorky question, but I have looked and looked for the color picture of a nazi sub taking a picture of New York at night. It may not have even been New York, but either way its an American city im pretty sure.

Didn't know if there were WW2 buffs on here that could help me out.
Old    SamIngram            09-02-2011, 10:48 AM Reply   
All I could find...
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-02-2011, 10:57 AM Reply   
How about this one...
Attached Images

Old     (suthaforce)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-02-2011, 11:40 AM Reply   
Thanks for your help guys.

Brett that sub looks American, but looks amost identical to what the picture is im looking for. It was taken from the observery post and had all the sailors on the deck like in that picture. I could be wrong but i was almost 90% sure it was a Nazi sub.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-02-2011, 12:15 PM Reply   
There is a picture of New York through a German parascope showing the lights of the city but I haven't been able to find it here myself searching.
Old     (suthaforce)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-02-2011, 12:18 PM Reply   
That would be the one i am looking for!!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-02-2011, 12:30 PM Reply   
Wow, crazy story. I'd never heard that.

Fortunate for us that the Nazi's couldn't come up with more competant spies.
Old    deltahoosier            09-06-2011, 9:32 AM Reply   
Actually Evan, they were doing pretty good with blowing crap up on the docks until the government made a deal with the mob and the mob pretty much shut it down.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-06-2011, 11:07 AM Reply   
I also recall the picture that Dave bcrider refers to. Dave Sutherlad, on the original day you posted, I did an Internet search and couldn't find the picture.

I questioned if the photo I recalled was not real, but a scene from a movie, like Das Boot. But I could not answer that either.

I've got a big coffee-table book at home. I'll check that (if I remember).
Old     (suthaforce)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-06-2011, 1:10 PM Reply   
I haven't had much time to keep up my search, and you are 100% right it could easily be a fake as there are actually quite a bit of fakes out there or propaganda stuff that has been confused with real stuff.

Wasn't Das Boot as I watched that the other day, and actually what made me think of it.

Everytime I look it up, the box set for Nazi Secrets Revealed comes up so I am wondering if it was a still from that or something.

No biggie just looking to replace my framed D-Day poster.
Old    SamIngram            09-06-2011, 2:14 PM Reply   
I forgot all about this thread, but here are my search results...

Operation Drumbeat: Nazi U-boats Off the American Coast, 1942

Nazi U-boats plagued Maine coast during WWII

U-869

and the best article:

Hitler sent German U-boat carrying secret agents to terrorise New York during World War Two (but it got wedged off Long Island)

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1372973/Revealed-The-secret-Nazi-operation-Pastorius-land-German-soldiers-U-S-soil-sabotage-war-effort-world-war-two.html#ixzz1XD3GBtoe
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-07-2011, 7:48 AM Reply   
No luck. I do recall that Coney Island was blacked out during WWII to prevent U-boats from using the the lights to backlight targets. So I gave that a start to further Internet searching, and here are some brief results.

From the wikipedia article, New York Harbor.

After the United States entered World War II, Operation Drumbeat set the top U-Boat aces loose against the merchant fleet in U.S. territorial waters in January 1942, starting the Second happy time. The U-Boat captains were able to silhouette target ships against the glow of city lights, and attacked with relative impunity, in spite of U.S. Naval concentrations within the Harbor. Casualties included the tankers Coimbria off Sandy Hook and Norness off Long Island. New York Harbor, as the major convoy embarkation point for the U.S., was effectively a staging area in the Second Battle of the Atlantic, with the U.S. Merchant Marine losses of 1 of 26 exceeding those of the other U.S. forces.[10]

Bright city lights made it easier for German U-boats to spot targets at night, but local officials resisted suggestions that they follow London's lead and blackout the lights of coastal cities. However, some lights were darkened, including those of the amusement parks in Coney Island, Brooklyn, and the Coney Island Light, and Sandy Hook Lighthouse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yor...r#World_War_II

Also from Wikipedia, an animation simulating a tanker silhouetted against lights of a city (I would guess this is New York City/Long Island. Notice the simulated Ferris Wheel of Coney Island or the like. JB.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Noblackout.gif

Here's another source.

When America joined the war in December 1941, Admiral Doenitz immediately realized the dire implications to the German war effort. The United States, as a noncombatant, had already been helping - first England, then later, Russia - with shipments of food, arms and supplies. Now, America’s war machine was about to crank up to full gear.

Admiral Doenitz positioned his fleet accordingly and named his operation “Paukenschlag“, or “Drumbeat“. From January 1942, Doenitz ordered up to 12 U-Boats on continual patrol - from the Gulf of Mexico to the heart of America’s Eastern Seaboard. Between January and March of 1942, the U-Boats sunk 1.25 million tons of shipping, aided by the bright lights of New York, Miami and Atlantic City - all of which initially refused to impose a wartime blackout for fear of impacting tourism.

Lt. Commander Reinhard Hardegan, U-123, started the duck shoot by sinking the British freighter Cyclops near Nantucket, on 12 January 1942. Hardegan, who would sink seven ships that first week, noted the lights atop the Ferris Wheel on Coney Island as he sailed past.

http://www.american-partisan.com/col.../qtr1/0308.htm

Over and out. Boss says I have to stay off WakeWorld today.