Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Phisherman)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-15-2013, 6:29 AM Reply   
Ok, so my heel lift on my bindings is getting pretty bad and I've only ridden them one season! So I was thinking, I might could drill through the heel and bolt down that to the board. I think it would work, but I'm worried about how well it will hold in the plastic of the board since there are no metal inlays like for the regular binding screws. What do you guys think? Is there a way I could put some metal inlays in there? Or maybe I could just go all the way through and put a small nut on the base of the board, but that might mess up the way the board rides.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-15-2013, 6:53 AM Reply   
What board and bindings? My 2012 Time Bomb setup has started really lifting at the heel. My laces get caught under the heel of my One boots all the time unless I tuck them in.

Are you planning on through bolting the boots to the board?
Old     (Phisherman)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-15-2013, 6:57 AM Reply   
Board is an '09 LF witness, bindings are '11 Soven. Yea my laces get caught under the heel all the time!!

Yea, I wanted to drill through the boot, like from the inside part where your foot goes all the way to the board. But idk, just wanted to see what other people might have done and how it worked out. I really don't know it it would work because I feel like the thread of the bolt would rip through the plastic of the board.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-15-2013, 9:07 AM Reply   
There is no plastic in the board. You are looking at fiberglass, foam and wood stringers by the binding inserts. If you drill through your board you will create a weak spot in a very critical section of the board (right under the binding). All it would take is one good slam or flats landing and the board would buckle right at your handiwork.

You might want to consider a different boot (the Systems are good for heel lift), experiment with some sort of epoxy or just deal with it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-15-2013, 9:20 AM Reply   
It's not like snowboarding where you're making fast edge changes and need a tight precise feel in my opinion. But if you feel that it's necessary, You should try some different equipment. The hyperlite systems might get you the locked down feel that you're looking for.

You'll ruin the board if you drill into it. It will take on water and and begin deteriorating.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-15-2013, 12:58 PM Reply   
I agree use different bindings OR use a soft rubber material somehow glued to the bottom of the heel part of the boot to simply fill gap but it wont solve the lift issue but I guarantee that little lift wont effect your riding..it used to happen o my LF bindings as well..at least if you fill the gap to where the laces wont get caught under the boot it will help that issue.

I would not drill into the board..
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-15-2013, 1:30 PM Reply   
Bill is on to something.

Maybe if you lift the front of the boot up and wedge something underneath, it will force the heel down?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-15-2013, 3:19 PM Reply   
maybe we will see different mounting techniques in the future. some have come and gone and returned again (i.e. 4 hole mounting)

it just seems that the heel lift thing never gets solved... entirely

i started thinking about some suction cups, but to get the needed suction-strength would make the boots unnecessarily heavy/ bulky i think.

or maybe their will be a resurrection and updated version to the twin track system for each boot (at least i think i remember a company using that idea one year long ago)
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-15-2013, 5:06 PM Reply   
My LF vantage CT got bad heal lift too.
This is how to fix it, get a pair of system bindings! Lol
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-15-2013, 5:30 PM Reply   
I think all of the 2013 Ronix boots have something designed to stick the heel down better to the board.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-15-2013, 7:18 PM Reply   
CWB seems to hate this too -> in all their 2013 product videos they talk about how their new binding plates have less heel lift being made from aluminum vs plastic maybe worth a demo if you hate the lift that much?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-15-2013, 8:02 PM Reply   
i think its almost irrelevant on a fiberglass/nylon boot base. My slingshot sit perfectly flush now but i know that after 100 days of riding this summer the will slowly flex and adjust to my body's movements, my old pair, which were replace on warranty for a separate issue had a bit of lift off from the board after the 80 or so days i rode them, every time i put the board on edge though the leverage was there and i never felt as if my heels were lifting. if you drill into yout board you will need new equipment, so why not just drop the coin if its that big a concern?

ps my buddy had the systems and had monumental heel lift problems, the back of the boot did not sit down on the board properly at all...
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-16-2013, 7:11 AM Reply   
I had the 2011 Soven bindings as well and after one summer of hard riding I had bad heel lift on them. Not much you can do but I know have the 2012 Harleys and have not had any lift as of yet... I spoke with Colin at LF and he informed me that this was a problem on the 2011 bindings and they worked to fix it. We will see I guess. Anyone having bad lift on the 2012s or 13s?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-16-2013, 8:14 AM Reply   
I just started rocking the new CWB JT boots. At this time, the heel is planted firmly against the board.
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       04-16-2013, 8:56 AM Reply   
Just asking a few questions because I don't know. How does heel lift negatively effect someone's riding? Does anyone notice the actual heel lift when you are riding or just when you are one the board on the swim deck or on land? My son rides a couple different boards/bindings.....one has some heel lift and one doesn't. I asked him about it and he said he doesn't notice it when he was riding.
Old     (Phisherman)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-16-2013, 11:01 AM Reply   
Honestly it's not the heel lift that bothers me, I'm just worried it will cause them to break mid season. So 1.5 seasons on new bindings is not a lifespan that is acceptable for me. I had Ronix cells before this and the heel lift was pretty bad, and one random day a bad fall caused the boot to literally rip the base plate in half. I can see a similar situation brewing with these LF sovens! Oh well, I guess there is nothing I can do, but I don't see why companies don't use a 4 bolt system, it seems like it would make so much sense!!