Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            03-21-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
The design is my 14 year old son's creation :-) I'm amazed that Mike was able to reproduce it. :-)

Got Crayola's? :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            03-21-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
A more tame graphic. :-)

Upload
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-21-2006, 4:29 PM Reply   
That first one looks sick!!

What board is that exactly?, I'm not too familiar with surfers...
Old    surfdad            03-21-2006, 7:35 PM Reply   
James thought so too. :-) There is one more with flames that I'm waiting for a JPG on. The boards are Mike Walker's Bullet model, with a round tail. James rides a 4'5" length.

http://www.thewalkerproject.com/wakesurf/

The picture on that page is James :-) Click on the "line up" button and you can see the various models that Mike offers.
Old    surfdad            03-24-2006, 8:43 AM Reply   
Year of the flames?

Nelems Marine board: Sweet design Karen.

Upload

James is in his skater/punk rock phase :-) Grey and black are his only colors. :-)

Upload
Old     (knelems)      Join Date: May 2002       03-26-2006, 5:46 AM Reply   
Thanks Jeff, I have several kiddos waiting to give it a try.I will have to order several at once next time since my Fedex bill was about $75.00 for the one! I guess AL is considered a backward state on shipping from CA.Cathy Williams is coming to the house in early June for a clinic,she is excited about it too.
Old    surfdad            03-26-2006, 6:04 AM Reply   
Isn't the shipping crazy? I know that one of the tricks (thanks Ronnie :-) ) for FedEx Ground is to keep the box length below 65 inches...once it crosses that threshold, the price skyrockets.

When I used to order blanks all the time, 4 would fit in a box and shipped for the same cost as 1, 2 or 3.

We are heading out on the water today, first day of the '06 season for us. :-)
Old     (knelems)      Join Date: May 2002       03-27-2006, 7:10 AM Reply   
Yes the dimensions were 70" x 24" x 9", it is 3times oversize price.I noticed DHL was a little cheaper after research.Anyone else find anyone cheaper out there?
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-02-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
Is that first one called the fingerprint graphic?
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-02-2006, 1:58 PM Reply   
Jeff and Karen, check out DHL for shipping boards. I have shipped a few surfboards over 7' from CA to FL for $65 with insurance. I used the big old Clark Foam board boxes that are monsters. DHL also came and picked up the boards for that price. They made it from CA to FL in 5 days.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-02-2006, 2:07 PM Reply   
nuckledragger, I'm curious as to where in Florida these boards were shipped?

Who knows about wakesurfing in this state and how did they learn of it?

I learned of it just last October from a fellow visiting from Kansas City, Mo.

Ed G
Clermont, Fl
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-02-2006, 2:52 PM Reply   
Uhm.... Cypress Gardens used to demonstrate wake surfing in Florida back in the 1960s.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-04-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
Well, things change considerably in 45 years.
Heck in the 1960's I was using an abacus in elementary school.

They (Cypress Gardens) invited Jeff and James Walker to come give them a wakesurfing demo about two months ago. (We almost set up a wakesurfing tournamnet at the chain reaction).

They were interested in learning what wakesurfing was all about.

Not to many people in Florida are aware of wakesurfing - yet.

(Message edited by Ed G on April 04, 2006)
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-04-2006, 9:21 PM Reply   
Ed,
I shipped those boards from Manhattan Beach, CA to Orlando. DHL's service was awesome.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-05-2006, 2:10 AM Reply   
nuckledragger,

Given that I am working with the American Wakesurfing Association to help promote wakesurfing in Central Florida, I'm just trying to get a feel for the popularity of the sport here in the Orlando area.

Were the boards sent to a business or individual.
If business, which?

I guess they could have even been sent to me!
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-05-2006, 7:00 AM Reply   
nuckledragger,

Sorry for the grilling. After checking out your website I realized you were probably refering to ocean surfboards and not wake surfboards.

Old    moh2o            04-05-2006, 7:49 AM Reply   
I was under the impression (from skimboarding friends who all wakesurf) that Florida has a much bigger wakesurfing scene than California.
Old    surfdad            04-05-2006, 8:16 AM Reply   
The Cypress Gardens folks did invite us to do a demo. The management discussed with me their plans of exploring renting that venue out for various water sports events. Initially, they would allow use of the venue without charge and then in later years, hope to be able to
charge a use fee.

Not that it's an indication of interest or participation in the area, but the owner and manager were unaware of what wakesurfing was and wanted to see the demo to determine if it would fit into their future plans for rental. I shot them a DVD and some stills so that they could get an idea.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-06-2006, 11:36 AM Reply   
Ed you are right, they were ocean surfboards sent to individual households.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-06-2006, 7:39 PM Reply   
Jeff, that's odd that Cypress Gardens doesn't know about wakesurfing? My understanding is that in the 1960’s they were among the first to demonstrated wakesurfing. When I was a kid in Toledo, my next door neighbor used to make Cypress Gardens branded surf boards. I was just visiting my parents. While there I was looking through old photos, found a picture of my young-self and my old dog out on one of those Cypress Gardens boards. Someone else posted this Mechanics Illustrated article with a Cypress Gardens photo, probably on one of my neighbor’s boards.
Upload
Old    xtreme            04-06-2006, 11:43 PM Reply   
Jeff,

When I drop off the demo boards on Sunday, I will try to grab one with graphics on it, so you can see what we are doing.

Upload
Old    surfdad            04-07-2006, 6:01 AM Reply   
Gary, I'm loving the skulls art! That's sweet. I'm really looking forward to riding your boards, James wants to do some aerials and I'm sure he'll love this graphic.

Hey Ed, my wife, Judy is born and raised on the East Coast and she remembers taking going to Cypress Gardens as part of the family vacation. She saw what you sent a picture of.

I think the problem is that BOTH of the folks I talked to were maybe 35 and so wouldn't have even been a twinkle in their mommy's eyes at the time these pictures were taken. :-)

Not that we are old or anything like that!!! :-)