Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (hfpesko)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-10-2009, 1:00 PM Reply   
Hey everyone. Ive been wakesurfing just for grins when the water is blown out and I cant wakeboard. However, my dad is interested in getting into surfing. We have a 05 malibu v-ride (old VLX hull), and i would say the surf wake is decient. My question is what board would be best considering i dont have a great surf wake and my dad is a pretty big guy? We arent looking to do tricks just go out and ride the wave. I dont really have a preference to which company, any opinions would be awesome.
Old     (bigobuck)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-10-2009, 1:24 PM Reply   
I imagine you want a cruiser type board. Look at one of the surf style longboards.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-10-2009, 1:34 PM Reply   
Bigger guys with smaller wakes have seemed to have good luck with the Inland Surfer Red Woody and the Hyperlite Landlock. The only thing with the landlock is that you will want a new board after a month of riding it, haha.
Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-10-2009, 1:50 PM Reply   
Wait until after this week end and there should be a little more info.
Old     (bigobuck)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-10-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
Yeah, Ragboy and the crew are going to hit it this weekend and they should have some good information.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-10-2009, 2:49 PM Reply   
Hayden,
I think people can get decent surf wakes out of that boat. What is your current setup?
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-10-2009, 4:26 PM Reply   
We surfed that boat and had a very good wave. The boat had sacs under the seats and a good bit of ballast in the bow. I think it was a 400lb sac in the bow. Not sure about under the seats but 2 sacs that took up all the space (750 and 400 tube maybe???).

There is a Red Woody on the classified section right now and recommended. Mitch is right that you'll grow out of the landlock much faster.
Old     (hfpesko)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-10-2009, 6:14 PM Reply   
Duffy: We only have stock tanks (250 lb sacks on either side of the engine and 500 lb mid tank) but we normally run with about 8 ppl in the boat. We move them to the back corner and a couple of girls up front. We dont fill the starboard side tank though. Im hoping to get 750s in the back and put in an intergrated bow sack soon.

I was thinking the red woody would do well but they are expensive tho broke @$$ college student here lol
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-10-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
I am a big guy and went through this discovery over the summer. At 250# the Red Woody is a great board, super fast.

Buy the Red Woody and don't look back.

T
Old     (sundoo)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-10-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
There is a IS Red Tide for sale in the classified section right now.
Dave
Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-14-2009, 10:38 PM Reply   
Watch for the reviews from today's ride. I am just under 250. There were several boards that were great to ride. The IS Red board was one of them but not the best of what was there.
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       05-14-2010, 8:53 AM Reply   
Liquid Force Venture 5'6'' is a great board for bigger guys and small to medium wakes
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-14-2010, 6:24 PM Reply   
i just sold my bu, all the vlx's and vrides up to 03 for the vlx and 06 for the vride have the same sv23 wake hull. there are a few that have the double diamond, but last summer i was around 250, i am 6'4, i put 750 in left rear 750 on the left seat about 400 in the bow and 5 to 6 peeps, no peeps then put another on 750 on the floor, i also used the center mls. the wave is good, but really soft, so you have to just really stay in the sweet spot. i have an oogle, an 5 ft ronix and a is swallow, the swallow rocks, i use the big boys on the outside and the 9cm in the inside. although now i have a enzo 23 and the surf wave is in a total different level. hope this helps
Old     (desotodave)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-16-2010, 2:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemitch View Post
Bigger guys with smaller wakes have seemed to have good luck with the Inland Surfer Red Woody and the Hyperlite Landlock. The only thing with the landlock is that you will want a new board after a month of riding it, haha.
Big guys CANT ride a landlock. although it is a big board is so VERY slow. I have found that about 180 lbs is the breaking point on this board, and I have an ENZO with a MÅSSIVE wave. You also may want to look at boards like the IS Blue Lake It is floaty and fast
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-16-2010, 5:37 PM Reply   
At 220 pound I had no problem riding the Land Lock behind my 21.5 foot Centurion Lightning. The land lock as I recall is a little bigger than the LF Broadcast which is the board that I start most first timers on.

Now behind an Enzo the Broadcast and Land Lock are easy and fun. Other boards like the IS Yellow, SMED, Shred Sticks, and a couple of WP-like home made boards are much more fun.
Old     (slimjim44)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-17-2010, 9:56 AM Reply   
I also have no problems with riding the landlock at 240lbs on a large (not massive though) 22V Tige wake. Like mitch said though, you will want a new board after a month.
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-17-2010, 9:48 PM Reply   
I rode the Hyperlite Landlock 5'11" behind my Avy when I weighed 302 pounds without any problem. But the IS red woody that I have now is WAY faster and more fun to ride!!