Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-19-2010, 10:14 PM Reply   
I upgraded to a tandem axle trailer. I bought it new from my local dealer. I was told by him that my boat color (a 2003 sante) that was seen by him, in person a few different times was Patriot red. I proceded to order the trailer in the matching custom color of patriot red by his word. He orders it under a 2005 Patriot red. The traier comes and it is not the same color as my boat at all. I was then told that they have a standard color palet thay they use so red is red. Skeptical, I close on the trailer and go home and do some homework.

It turns out that my boat being a 2003, was available in 2 reds, Patriot red and Dark red. I apparently have the Dark red. My trailer looks like absolute A$$ against my boat. I expected when it was a custom paint to match, it would. I went throught the manufacturer brochure and it said "infinate color for perfect hull match" So not only was I fed a line about the color palet, he was wrong on the color and the year.

I spent 5000 dollars and went out of my way to get him the sale on this trailer because he is the local dealer for me and has treated me good in the past. I have a feeling that this will end up being a real issue. The question is how do I deal with this diplomatically and get him to fis his mistake? Even though it was on the contract for the wrong color for my boat, I dont see it to be my job to make sure the color is correct, especially when it is his product.
Old     (jimmy_z)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-19-2010, 10:23 PM Reply   
Looks like your dealer made the mistake in assuming it was Patriot red.

They told you the colors would match, then they should match.

If they dont want to work with you tell them to keep the trailer and cancel your check.

You can work it out later in court if they decide to go that way, which they probably wont.

It will be cheaper for them to eat the mistake and repaint it.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-19-2010, 10:32 PM Reply   
He would also be in possesion of a check that I wrote for 1/2 the amount that has been cashed about 3 months ago. He would not be fully out anything. I have had a great relationship with this guy for 8 years. I got a quote from another dealer for a little cheaper than him. I made sure I went out of my way to support him. Now I am getting the runaround probably because buisness is so bad that he cannot absorb the cost of a change. Not really my problem. I just want to get what I was promised.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-19-2010, 11:53 PM Reply   
That sucks. Hopefully you can figure it out. The majority of the cost was the trailer not to paint it so how much could it possibly cost him to have it repainted. Seems like the right for him to do here. Let him know everything about you going out of your way to use him and that you won't come back. Business men don't like to lose steady customers. Good Luck!
Old     (jimmy_z)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-20-2010, 12:05 AM Reply   
Sorry you did that.

I make it a habit not to pay anyone until services are rendered. If the company cannot do this, then they are not worthy of my business. At most a very small payment(500 or less on large purchases/services), but NEVER half.

You now have given the seller all the cards. Unless in your contract there are words containing color "match". If not, they can tell you to pound sand if you dont like it. In which they will have half your money and a trailer they will sell later, or all your money and you own a trailer you hate.

In the future, make sure to get what you were "promised", in writing. At least, even when paying half, you will have a leg to stand on.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-20-2010, 12:28 AM Reply   
I hate to say it, but if it's posted online, it's been escalated to the next level.

Get it painted. If you like him that much, tell him you'll split the difference. If you want to stick to your guns, then tell us how you really feel about how the situation has been handled. Then take him to small claims court for the cost of the paint job.

The situation sucks all the way around. And now that it's been online, I don't know how to do it tactfully.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-20-2010, 6:06 AM Reply   
This is his mistake