Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    freznick            02-07-2005, 7:50 PM Reply   
Help!

My wife and I are looking for a good crossover boat that also works well for cruising around the lake with friends. We're Looking for some pros/cons between the Nautique SV211 Team Edition and the Malibu Wakesetter 21 LSV (diamond hull).

Here's how I see things so far:

CROSSOVER PERFORMANCE: Tie
From what I have read it seems like the Hydrogate on the Nautique works well to provide a decent slalom wake and an intermediate-advanced boarding wake. Also, I have read that the Malibu with the diamond hull is still decent for skiing even though it is a V-drive. And of course, with the Wakesetter package and the Wedge, it also can challenge the intermediate boarder.

APPEARANCE: Nautique
Of course, this is subjective but we prefer the overall shape of the Nautique as well as it's less-extreme graphics. Even though it's not a deal killer, I guess that we are not really into the tribal graphic thing.

BUILD QUALITY: Nautique
Based on crawling through both at the local dealerships I would give the slight edge to the Nautique. The Malibu looks solid, but the Nautique just seems even better.

REAL WORLD CAPACITY: Malibu
The walk-through on the Nautique is cool but it just seems like you give up too much seating capacity. I really wonder if the rated limit of 9 can really fit with any comfort. On the other hand, the Malibu seems like it would easily sit 10+ with comfort given the traditional V-Drive layout.

PRICE: Malibu
Pricing from dealers so far indicates that the BU is about $3K less for similar equipment levels. Maybe resale is better on the Nautique to help offest the initial expense (??)

DEALERS: Tie
Speaking of dealers, both are relatively close (with 30 min) and both seem to be very customer oriented. Good reviews from previosu owners at both dealerships.

Any additional thoughts / observations from current owners?

TIA
Old     (abundiga909)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-07-2005, 8:12 PM Reply   
I'd go with the Nautique SV-211 TE. I have a Nautique and couldn't be happier. I've heard nothing but great stuff about the 211 and when it comes to quality, fit and finish, wake characteristics, and just simple styling, you can't beat a Nautique.

9-10 people is a lot for a ski boat. Mine seats 10 and we usually don't have more than 6 in the boat. With the extra seat option in the 211, you should be just fine with 6-8 people. Any more people, exp. 10+ on any boat and you will be sitting as if on a NYC bus.

You only make purchases like this once in a lifetime. Go all out. Life is short--live it!
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-07-2005, 8:44 PM Reply   
i have a 211 and really like it a lot..( i was slated to to buy a new 04 vlx)

in term of interior space the malibu will be a little bit bigger ( always has been ) but the rear walk through transom and snap in carpeting of the 211 is state of art (imo). the rear removable seat can be moved back and used as a observers seat (very cool)

the pcm motor is fantastic and has a 3 year warranty vs 1 year/3 year on the malibu ( 1 year on exterior parts and 3 year on internal)...preference of the indmar vs pcm is personal, both are very good.

the wake on the 211 is very, very good (stock)...i have recently added 360 lbs of lead in the bow and 1/2 filled fat sacs in the back (about 850 lbs plus 750 factory ballast- we also ride 3-4 total crew.. the response has been positive by the more experienced riders (they respect/fear the weighted 211 wake- it is first class). the boat planes quickly and has has incredible holeshot..(the hydrogate really helps out on bringing a weighted 211 on plane quicker)

would really suggest considering the dealer... the local nautique dealer (m20 marine) is fantastic and has been a major factor in buying nautique. talk to local wakeboarding shops and find out who the better dealer is... they know since they see all the boat owners.

regards to price... a lot will depend on the dealer and area.. the local malibu dealer was very expensive compared to mastercraft and nautique.... my 211 te was $2k more than a comparabley equipped v-ride... go figure..

take both out and give them a test drive too..

good luck in the hunt !!!
Old    fatboy1            02-07-2005, 9:04 PM Reply   
I too own a SV-211 and I really love the boat. My wife loves to ski and everybody else wakeboards, kneeboards, and surfs. The boat is everything Mike said and more, don't let a couple thousand dollars keep you from the boat you really want. I too think the grafics on the new BU's and MC's are over the top.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-07-2005, 9:08 PM Reply   
You can get the malibu without the tribal stickers, if you go to www.malibuboats.com you can design the boat including the look. I love our malibu, no quality issues. But test drive both boats, it comes down to what boat fits your needs the best. on the test drive bring as much stuff as you would normally and see how it works in each boat.
Old    murrayair            02-08-2005, 12:19 AM Reply   
Is the 211 the newer version of last years 216? I remember that boat was praised as having advanced wakeboard and advanced slolom wakes.
Old    air_sv211            02-08-2005, 4:46 AM Reply   
No, the 211 is a V drive. The 216 is direct drive. The 211 is the first V drive to be approved for class C competion. It is that good of a ski wake and when weighted properly the wakeboard wake is almost as good as the Super Air.
Old     (alotta_fagina)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-09-2005, 10:22 AM Reply   
According to this years WATERSKI Mag Boat Buyers Guide-

mal sound at driver seat 81 db
nat sound at driver seat 95 db
can you hear me now?

Indmar is 3 yr just like pcm.

Hole shot...
Mal 21 LSV 0-36mph 189ft
Nat SV-211 0-36mph 285 ft
hmmm, sounds like the mal b*tch slapped that one.

top speed...(not that its real important)
mal 46mph
nat 44mph

Size does matter...
mal ballast available 1,900 lbs
nat ballast available 700 lbs
(this is why myke had to add lead etc, and has only enough room for his small crew)

mal people capacity 12
nat people capacity 9
If you sit in the 211 (especially with the optional camp stool/backseat), you will be hard pressed to get 4 adults in the thing.

mal exterior 21.6 ft x 98 in
nat exterior 20.9 ft x 93 in

Walk through transom / snap in carpet state of the art... in a deck boat maybe. You will lose storage and have a louder ride.

The 21 LSV was awsa approved years before the 211 was ever penciled out, not to mention the 211 was approved for class c tournaments only.

Just drive both boats, you'll see.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-09-2005, 3:19 PM Reply   
Garret...where did you information come from???

SV-211
LOWDOWN
• The Sport SV-211 achieves multisport performance through well-considered innovations.
• Hydro-Gate helps create among the softest ski wakes we've seen from a V-drive.
• Offers expansive interior floor space and walk-through transom.
• Optional removable rear bench adds seating for two more passengers.
• The 38-quart cooler under the bow has side access.
• In-floor locker and flip-up port-side love seat help stow all your water-sports gear.
• First Nautique to feature snap-in carpet.

PERFORMANCE
Top Speed 46.1 mph 5,450 rpm
Accel. to 30 mph 4.3 sec. 99.1 ft.
Accel. to 36 mph 5.4 sec. 155.0 ft.
Noise Levels (db) Neutral 59 D 57 R, 36 mph 88 D 95 R

SPECS
Length 20 ft. 9 in. Beam 93 in.
Seating Capacity 9
Fuel Capacity 38 gal.
Test Prop Acme 13.5 x 17.5 4-blade
Test Engine PCM ZR6 6.0L, 375 HP

Sunscape 21 LSV
LOWDOWN
• The LSV is a wide 23-footer that manages to satisfy wakeboarding pros with its terrific wakes.
• Full wakeboarding package can be upgraded to the Illusion tower (our personal favorite for its rear-swooping design) or the new carbon-fiber tower.
• Comes standard with capacity for 1,250 pounds of ballast spread over four concealed tanks.
• Standard 340-horsepower engine is great, but 450-horsepower test engine gave us skiing-style acceleration.
• Chromed dash, chromed emblems and Italian steering wheel and throttle knob elevate the high-class vibe.

PERFORMANCE
Top Speed 48.9 mph 5,300 rpm
Accel. to 30 mph 4.9 sec. 120.1 ft.
Accel. to 36 mph 6.5 sec. 194.6 ft.
Noise Levels (db) Neutral 69 D 60 R, 36 mph 80 D 91 R

SPECS
Length 23 ft. Beam 100 in.
Seating Capacity 14
Fuel Capacity 55 gal.
Test Prop Acme 13 x 16 4-blade
Test Engine Indmar 8100 Vortec 8.1L, 450 HP

Wakesetter VLX
LOWDOWN
• For 2005, the pro-worthy VLX is built on Malibu's V25 Wake hull for enhanced wake size and performance.
• The new Indmar Hammerhead 400 hp engine's performance is nothing short of spectacular.
• Storage space is remarkable, especially in the trunk with the rear tanks of the ballast system below the floor.
• New in-dash Ballast Monitoring System assesses status of four tanks, including optional bow ballast for up to 1,250 pounds.
• Gelcoat colors come in 20 varieties.

PERFORMANCE
Top Speed 46.3 mph 5,250 rpm
Accel. to 30 mph 4.8 sec. 114.0 ft.
Accel. to 36 mph 6.2 sec. 181.3 ft.
Noise Levels (db) Neutral 60 D 60 R, 36 mph 81 D 85 R

SPECS
Length 21 ft. 6 in. Beam 98 in.
Seating Capacity 11
Fuel Capacity 46 gal.
Test Prop Acme 13 x 16 4-blade
Test Engine Indmar Hammerhead 383 6.2L, 400 HP

(Message edited by Deuce on February 09, 2005)
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-09-2005, 3:31 PM Reply   
Note....both the SV-211 and the Wakesetter have upgraded engines.

I have no opinion on the matter either way. I am a fan of boats in general. I would have been happy with any of my top three choices(VLX, X2 and SAN) and it came down to dealer(who I have purchased from before) and gave me a better deal than either of the other two offered. But I will never be one to say that my SAN is better than an X-2 or VLX... Just better for me.

I was just happy to get a good deal from a great dealer. My decision was easy.

Funny how a you have a bunch of owners with respectful comments and then some clown come in with comments about slaps and small crews. Classic....

E.J.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-09-2005, 3:36 PM Reply   
Is there such thing as plagiarism on the WWW?

Anyway, my post at 3:19 PM was cut and pasted from waterskimag.com

Guess they deserve credit or at least a co-author reference.....

E.J.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-09-2005, 3:37 PM Reply   
garrett,

most "serious" wakeboarders weigh their boats down beyond the factory ballast (most owners i know are weighing them down in the 2000lbs range and some even more) -doesnt matter if it is a mc,bu,san,tige,calbria, whatever.

btw, you are wwwwwaaaayy wrong about the indmar 3 year warranty. you may want to read the fine print on the bui warranty- it is 3 year on internal and 1 year on external. pcm is 3 year.

i do agree with you, take each boat (with the prospective motor) for a drive and a pull (the wakes are much different)

Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-09-2005, 5:07 PM Reply   
Under the impression that Garrett does not like Nautiques.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-09-2005, 6:04 PM Reply   
I am a huge fan of nautiques, but I am getting ready to buy my second bu. Why? Simple. Qualtiy to price ratio. I think the BU is hard to beat in that equation.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-09-2005, 6:09 PM Reply   
You are not so insano after all.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-09-2005, 6:36 PM Reply   
E.J. - you mixed up your boats. The "LOWDOWN" you gave for the Sunscape 21 LSV is actually the information for the Wakesetter 23 LSV.

Here's the correct info for the Sunscape 21 LSV:

• For 2005, this model has the V25 Diamond hull, 6 inches longer and 5 inches wider than last year's boat.
• Adjustable rudder allows drivers to customize the way the boat tracks.
• Luxury appointments include hand-wrapped vinyl dash, chromed accents, plush carpeting and thick 38-ounce vinyl.
• Optional tower, ballast and Wedge hydrofoil can enhance the wakeboarding performance.

PERFORMANCE
Top Speed 45.3 mph 5,100 rpm
Accel. to 30 mph 4.9 sec. 115.7 ft.
Accel. to 36 mph 6.4 sec. 189.4 ft.
Noise Levels (db) Neutral 65 D 65 R, 36 mph 84 D 92 R

SPECS
Length 21 ft. 6 in. Beam 98 in.
Seating Capacity 12
Fuel Capacity 46 gal.
Test Prop Acme 13.5 x 17.5 4-blade
Test Engine Indmar Monsoon 5.7L, 340 HP
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-09-2005, 6:38 PM Reply   
this could get ugly.

Mike - I wanna get a ride behind your boat sometime.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-09-2005, 8:38 PM Reply   
thane.. anytime... let me know when is a good time
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-09-2005, 8:39 PM Reply   
Thanks for catching that Thane.... I wondered why mine said 23' boat.... That is what I get for plagiarism...

E.J.

P.S. Captain Insano... Do you know Trevor Sudweeks(SP?)? Have a friend Tod that moved down to Canyon Lake to do some work with him for a bit. Both seem to like the SkY Ski a bit...
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-09-2005, 10:17 PM Reply   
I know who he is, but have never formally met. Sky Skiers stay on that side of the lake, wakeboarders on this side...but it's getting better.
Old     (alotta_fagina)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-10-2005, 9:28 AM Reply   
Deuce Bigalow,
Compare motor to motor-pg 103 (211 w/ 5.7 330hp)and pg 142 (21 LSV w/ 5.7 340hp).
You are comparing the 211 w/ the 6.0 upgrade.
Drop a hammerhead or LS1 in the mal and then compare that option if you please. My guess is that it would still blow it away. I have nothing against nat's, just don't see the point in the 211.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-10-2005, 9:54 AM Reply   
My numbers above are the VLX with the Hammerhead and the SV-211 with the ZR6... I seemed to add in a 23'er in there for some reason....???

Again with the personal jabs.... What is with "Deuce Bigalow." Are you that insecure with your statements that you try to pull away from your point with jabs about size of crew, slapping women and name calling.

Note....I am not offended by the comment, loved the movie... But somehow I feel like I am debating with my son or one of his 8 year old friends.

If you want to sell someone on a Malibu(which I think is a great boat by the way), at least on this forum, your point is better taken by making adult statements and leaving out the personal stuff.

If I was new to the boating game and came to this forum to ask questions about a boat, your comments would be disregarded due to the fact that they sound like they are coming from a kid. Who is going to drop 50K on the advice of a 16 year old. You may be 40 and have owned boats for years, but your presentation is weak. On the other hand, you are 16....and I just wasted 5 minutes.....

I mean everything above in the nicest way....

Carry on....

E.J.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-10-2005, 10:33 AM Reply   
the big deal behind the 211 is how the boat performs as a true crossover boat..

so far a crossover boats hasnt been sucessful as either a killer wakeboard or ski boat...no crossover boats have a established reputation.

wether or not the 211 develops that reputation is yet to be seen ( it is too early to tell at the professional level).

as far as my experience(and others far more experienced), the 211 has a great wake. the performance with the stock pcm is great and the interoir layout is to my liking for my situtation)

Old    air_sv211            02-10-2005, 11:25 AM Reply   
Me too. I really like my 211.
Old     (tidalwake0504)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-10-2005, 12:14 PM Reply   
"Who is going to drop 50K on the advice of a 16 year old."
My dad....
I love my 211 more than life itself.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-10-2005, 9:39 PM Reply   
uhmmm... i have seen some very good 16-20 year old riders..

colin you are a lucky guy to have a great dad..
Old     (tidalwake0504)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-12-2005, 11:07 AM Reply   
im very aware and grateful...trust me..