Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (gregholloway)      Join Date: May 2009       04-07-2010, 12:37 PM Reply   
I purchased a 07' X-Star SS new. I feel that I beat my dealer up pretty good over about a 2 month time span to get him to our final sales price which ended up being 32% of the MSRP sticker price. Has everyone experienced something around these percentages when buying new??

I'm in the market for a new SAN 230 and was curious as to what type of markup everyone is experiencing in the new Correct Craft market. Should I expect somewhat of the same??
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-07-2010, 12:39 PM Reply   
Do you mean to say 32% off of MSRP?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-07-2010, 1:05 PM Reply   
You won't find too many people talk about this stuff, but that is an amazing deal. I would not expect that you can get that off a SAN unless there is some special deal that is an old model year and they are going to take a loss on the boat or their flooring company is discounting the boat.
Old     (DwightSchrute)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-07-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
Congrats on kicking the guy in the teeth. Good for you. Now that they are hurting even more put some salt in the wound, crack a beer and brag about it.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-07-2010, 1:13 PM Reply   
If they didn't make a fair profit they wouldn't sell it. No need to apologize to anyone.

I would say 25% to 30% is a fair deal.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-07-2010, 1:46 PM Reply   
Different companies have different markup. for example.

A MB F21 Tomcat MSRP is about $61,000, so 32% off would be $41,480, so the dealer would make 0 money and MB would lose money building it.
Old     (gregholloway)      Join Date: May 2009       04-07-2010, 2:59 PM Reply   
I'm not bragging about my deal, I spent 2-3 months of talking to this dealer and them telling me no, no, no, no etc...they kept coming down and down and eventually came to what I was willing to pay! They didn't lose money b/c it would not make sense to do it, they just didn't make that much! The main reason I created this post is b/c I don't feel that CC marks up as much as Mastercraft, but I would like to find out the ballpark that they can move around in!

I think websites like this make for a perfect place to discuss such subjects! Why would people not want to share such information? If I were a dealer I wouldn't care to share it but this site is not for dealers, it's for consumers that have wakeboarding in common to share facts, tips, experience, boat bun, and other BS!

Companies that are marking up boats by 35% are asking for people to start sharing such information. I don't enjoy being raped but at the same time I am a firm believer in a deal where both parties leave happy! They make a little bit, I am happy with my boat! Fact is I paid in the 80's for my boat and in a matter of 2 1/2 years I'm going to be able to get around 50 for it....imagine the loss if I would have paid MSRP!

Every manufacturer is different, every dealer is different. Mark up is going to be more as you move up in price range. All is relative!!
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-07-2010, 3:19 PM Reply   
Mark up is going to be different from dealer to dealer I would bet. They could put whatever they want on a sales sheet
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-07-2010, 3:58 PM Reply   
The best deal is when both parties feel like they got screwed just a little.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-07-2010, 4:36 PM Reply   
^^^^yup^^^
Old     (motorcitymatt)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-07-2010, 7:31 PM Reply   
Thirty-some percent off a new MC sounds about right.
Your dealer still made close to twenty percent.

Enjoy your ride!
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-08-2010, 9:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregholloway View Post
I'm not bragging about my deal, I spent 2-3 months of talking to this dealer and them telling me no, no, no, no etc...they kept coming down and down and eventually came to what I was willing to pay! They didn't lose money b/c it would not make sense to do it, they just didn't make that much! The main reason I created this post is b/c I don't feel that CC marks up as much as Mastercraft, but I would like to find out the ballpark that they can move around in!

I think websites like this make for a perfect place to discuss such subjects! Why would people not want to share such information? If I were a dealer I wouldn't care to share it but this site is not for dealers, it's for consumers that have wakeboarding in common to share facts, tips, experience, boat bun, and other BS!

Companies that are marking up boats by 35% are asking for people to start sharing such information. I don't enjoy being raped but at the same time I am a firm believer in a deal where both parties leave happy! They make a little bit, I am happy with my boat! Fact is I paid in the 80's for my boat and in a matter of 2 1/2 years I'm going to be able to get around 50 for it....imagine the loss if I would have paid MSRP!

Every manufacturer is different, every dealer is different. Mark up is going to be more as you move up in price range. All is relative!!
Couldn't agree more. I started a thread similar and got dealers replying the boo hoo story too. They want everyone to talk about them on the internet but they don't want people talking about their prices or problems on the internet. Can't have it both ways.
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-08-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
Consumers job is to get the lowest price possible right?. The salesman's job is to create as much value as possible to raise that bar. good on ya. Hope you enjoy.
Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-08-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
Greg, you probably got a decent deal on your MC but not a smoking deal. I have seen much better than 32% off MSRP on MC's. If you get 30% off on a Supra or CC you are getting a smoking deal. I am not going to post numbers, but I have friends that got deals on their MC's during last years sales slump that would make some of you sick. Of course not everyone can get a boat at that low of a price. I decided to give MC X-star a chance when I bought my last boat and the local dealer couldn't or wouldn't even come close to the deal my buddy got so I ended up buying another Supra (and very happy with the decision).
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-08-2010, 11:28 AM Reply   
in texas sail and ski will glady sell you a nautique for msrp. THey dont really come off it cause they dont have to.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-09-2010, 10:20 AM Reply   
Dwight LOL!!!!! I have been quoted that deal Alan, but I am a repeat customer Don't get me wrong I would buy a boat from you as well. Are you still selling MB's?
Old     (rebelman10)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-09-2010, 11:25 AM Reply   
Hey Greg, I bought mine at 30% off which included the trailer. That was back in spring of 08'. The profit margin should still be the same. I got mine over at Smith Lake, AL. See you up river
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-09-2010, 12:22 PM Reply   
Not in the business any more, but stay close enough to it to know pricing. I know where someone can buy a '10 TWB for $42k, but the boat has hours on it.

Bottom line is that different manufacturers all price differently and on top of that, so do dealers. So % off of MSRP means nothing, compare $$'s and options.
Old     (nelems)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-09-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
Ryan creek is no longer a CC dealer but they may still have leftovers they would want to move. Last year Textron gave them an extra 15% off invoice to move all their non currents. The CC dealer in Pickwick has some non currents you can try them, CC also has repos at the factory. Alabama Waterports in Athens had their inventory picked up a few weeks ago.

Alan I sent you a pm a few days ago, did you receive it?