Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-10-2008, 2:06 PM Reply   
Whats your thoughts on boat shows this season? Email me if you are heading to the Seattle show..

http://www.seattleboatshow.com/
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-10-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
I am guessing no one is going to be buying boats, but that is just me. That and the different dealers are going to be really competitive and selling boats for little to no margins.

I think that the big 3 may be able to hold their margins better then the other brands because people that buy them specifically are looking for one of those brands. It may be tougher for the Supra, Centurion, Tige, MB dealers since they don't have the name recognition and are going to really be competing against each other for people looking for more of a value oriented boat. I kind of think Moomba, Supreme, Sanger and the real value oriented base boats are going to suffer. I think these have appealed to the people that can't afford boats in today's economy. The economy isn't going to stop the people who are looking at MC, Malibu and Nautique. I also think runabout boats aren't going to sell at all. These are just my opinions on the matter though. I do hope you do well and prove me wrong though Kevin. You guys have been around a while, carry 2 good brands and I hope you guys stay around for the long run.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-10-2008, 4:11 PM Reply   
Kevin I will tell you what I think of the Seattle Boat Show. Last year a hot dog was $5.50 and a hamburger was $8.50.

Additionally although the Wakeboarding and Wake Surfing interest is big there has never been a clinic or any kind of seminar covering that.

I could care less about a chipmunk waterskiing behind a toy remote controlled boat. Why not get some of the Stars of Wakeboarding and Wakesurfing to do some seminars about the sport and products available.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-10-2008, 4:16 PM Reply   
Working on that as we speak pacrat... Love to hear what people really want besides "big boats"
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-10-2008, 4:39 PM Reply   
I'm with Packrat. I love dreaming of what boat I will buy one day...but some sort of winch contest would be awesome.

I may or may not go, really just depends on if I have nothing else to do one night while it's going on. If there were an event, I would most likely attend to see it.

They do a rail jam at the north end of Qwest for the ski and snow expo every year, I'm sure a pool could be set up out there
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       12-10-2008, 4:48 PM Reply   
I go every year... And feel like it was mostly a waste of money every year. Packrat, I got suckered into buying a damn hotdog too. And a bottled water for $3.00.

But I'll be there again this year.
Old     (gregtay)      Join Date: Aug 2008       12-10-2008, 5:47 PM Reply   
The big boats are enough to talk my wife into going to the Seattle show each year... she walks around and dreams about owning some 60 foot ship (talks about selling the house and just living on one of those things..) then i drag her over to the wakeboard boats.

I agree that there should be more "watersports" focused activities. The Seattle show still feels a bit stuffy... more geared towards all the people showing up to buy a Cobalt.

With Olympic (not to mention PowerboatNW, Copes, etc (anyone know if Gonnasons is still open?) gone you have to wonder who will fill up the space next to SeaRay on the main floor (and maybe the tow boats won't all be hidden down the cave like walkway.)
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-10-2008, 5:56 PM Reply   
Maybe some of these boat dealers should consider investing in some displays of parts for existing boats like speakers, racks, boards ect. and upgrades like switchblades, trim tabs ect. which there is a lot of money in. I know it's the boat show but some may forgo a new boat but be willing to spend several thousand dollars on upgrades to existing boats.
Old     (gregtay)      Join Date: Aug 2008       12-10-2008, 6:06 PM Reply   
packrat that is a great idea... i only buy a new boat ever 8 years or so (okay.. i bought 1 year of the last 2 years.. but before that it was 8 years) but i go to the boat show every year and while i am there i see all the new stuff i want to add to my boat. If they were selling the "stuff" right there I am guessing my hand would pass over my credit card without much of a fight. Last year we did purchase a few boat things upstairs from a few of the vendors. We figure each year we have to come away with something new for the boat.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-10-2008, 6:22 PM Reply   
I bet there will be lots of deals this year.
Old     (bobby_and_mikey_dad)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-10-2008, 7:36 PM Reply   
I always hear people saying negative stuff about boat shows, well there will be a lot less this year both as far as actual shows, participation and booth size.

Careful what you ask for you just might just get it!

I hear the Nor Cal boat show in Pleasanton is dead, between the Cow Palace, SF in the day and Pleasanton in recent years I'll bet that show is at least 50 years old.Expesive hot dogs or not alot of people will miss that show, unless we have a miracle.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-10-2008, 9:58 PM Reply   
Olympic is still getting the huge space ( Searay is manning it) Gonnasons is open. Hot dogs are not cheap in the stadium, I suggest eating well before going in, there will be deals and most tow boats are underneath the North hall again,the director of the show will see this thread, I am forwarding it to him, and I think a rail jam on the field would be awesome! Any other suggestions?
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-11-2008, 12:56 AM Reply   
Can't wait for the boat show in Vancouver. Always a highlight of the year.

Last year they had a short demo of some pro's riding a rail off a winch. It was a 25 foot, narrow trough. It was cool seeing Rusty Malinoski there, but the idea kinda just seemed like some afterthought.

I'd be happier seeing bigger/better boat displays and product reps. Last year we only had brochures for wetsounds.
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-11-2008, 5:55 AM Reply   
Our boat shows here in NC are getting smaller and smaller each year. I remember a few years ago, that they were so large, they used 2 buildings and the parking lot. Now, mostly one building and maybe part of the other one. Not what they used to be.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-11-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
I love going to boat shows too and talking with the salespeople about the latest options ect.

One thing I try to do is if I am just shooting the breeze with a salesman and don't have something in mind to buy I try to be mindful of other customers who come in.

They might really might be intested in buying and I wouldn't want the sales guy to lose a sale just because he don't want to be short with me. So I step aside if I see it coming.

On the other hand if I am planning on buying something I want the salesman's undivided attention.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-11-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
My friends and I headed south last year to go to the Seattle boat show to switch it up from the Vancouver Boat Show we usually go to. Vancouver has a lot more of the dealers and more boats then the Seattle boat show had so it was a little disappointing as we had thought it would be bigger. They only thing that made up for it was the $ 8.00 beers are a hell of a lot bigger down in Seattle and there is no alcohol at the Vancouver Show. Nothin like drooling on boats with a beer in your hand to go with it. It's kind of like being at a Nudy bar.

2 Years ago Rusty and a few others had a rail jam as well which was cool to see...nothin for Seattle. I think this year we will stay at home...Vancouver's is better.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-11-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
Dave, I'll take Randy's up in Vancouver over the boat show any day of the week.
Old     (morganmac)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-11-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
We really enjoyed Pleasanton two years ago. Last year blew. Probably won't even go this year as the two dealers I speak to regularly aren't attending.

We were never there to buy a boat, but have dropped several K on accessories each year. (if you think the water, hot dog and burgers are expensive; try the beer and cocktails)
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-11-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
Brett Yates. - You must mean Brandy's.lol.

Never actually been there( don't know why) but there are some lookers in Van for sure.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-11-2008, 1:54 PM Reply   
My mistake. Brandi's might have had the best looking strippers I have seen. Although I have heard I might need to check out the Spearmint Rhino in Vegas.
Old     (salsajs3030)      Join Date: Aug 2008       12-11-2008, 7:58 PM Reply   
I'll be heading to the San Diego boat show in Jan for sure...definitely bringing a flask -drink prices are out of control!!
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-11-2008, 8:06 PM Reply   
lol
Old     (lavinder)      Join Date: Mar 2008 Location: Gig Harbor, WA       12-12-2008, 12:03 PM Reply   
Last year at the boat show I came in looking for a new boat and went out with a new Supra 22SSV from Kevin. Best thing I ever did. I will be there in my Supra sweatshirt and point the way to Kevin's stand for anyone who asks.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-12-2008, 12:24 PM Reply   
Thanks Jeff... Happy holidays..