Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (air_senio)      Join Date: Nov 2007       09-02-2009, 7:46 AM Reply   
going for a wake to wake bs 180, caught my back edge and thats all i really remember. blacked out for about 6 to 7 seconds. after that i was so out of it,pretty much went home after that. four hours later still was'nt feeling right, was getting sick. so went to the er and what do you know concussion. anyone else every do this?
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-02-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
I'm not trying to start a war, but since I started wearing a helmet and USGA jacket that is like body armor I haven't taken a beating on a BS edge catch like I used to. I remember your pain and feel for you no doubt, those can put you down for a while for sure.
Old    supraguy            09-02-2009, 8:08 AM Reply   
I knock myself out once a year sometime bad some not so bad. I like at as that just wakeboarding. This season I did it on a scarecrow and blew my ear drum, so I got on the back of the boat and waited 10min or so that went out and stomped it. Than the hospital. LOL I am just dumb like that tho. Crowmobe will be dialed soon
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-02-2009, 8:13 AM Reply   
I have knocked myself silly a few times trying bs spins... most recently switch bs 3. Went early and head planted. Had my helmet on though or I think it would have worse.

-Uj
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-02-2009, 8:23 AM Reply   
IMO back edge catches are 10 times worse than a face plant. I HATE the BS 1 edge catcher!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       09-02-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
Here was just last Sunday, came flying out my binding trying a W2W BS 180.
Upload
Old     (tcaz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-02-2009, 8:51 AM Reply   
When I was 12-13ish and first attempting backrolls, I had a bad spill and blacked out. I don't remember how the fall went, but I remember snapping back into it 5 minutes later on the shore with my parents freaking out, telling me I am no longer allowed to wakeboard. That didn't last though...
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-02-2009, 9:20 AM Reply   
Oh the BS 180 Bell ringer! I have seen a lot of peeps knock themselves silly on that trick! Chest over those toes Bros!!
Old     (air_senio)      Join Date: Nov 2007       09-02-2009, 9:52 AM Reply   
ya it was pretty bad. my homie was like thats the worst fall i have ever seen you take. it happen sunday and it Wednesday and im still not right.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-02-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
The worst is getting that "whipping" action on any trick.. which commonly comes when your not expecting to take that hard of a crash.

About 5 years ago I was trying HS R2R's. The first one I actually landed I dropped the handle (usually common technique I use when I guinea pig new tricks). As I threw my lead hand down in disgust I ended up twisting my body just enough to catch that heel edge as I was gliding away. Luckily I had slowed down a bit but it was a pretty comical edge catch.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-02-2009, 10:10 AM Reply   
Never taken' a lick on the backside 180.

Tantrum to Blind's are a totally different story though. The "Nose grabbed Back 3 to face" also sucks
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-02-2009, 10:23 AM Reply   
id rather face plant then catch a backside edge any day
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-02-2009, 10:30 AM Reply   
Pigbacking on M-Dizzle,

I have had a TON of concussions from wakeboarding, 7 to be exact (that's on par with Pro Hockey Players) Most of the concussion I have gotten from the whipping motion, or whiplash. My sports med doc, (the head doc for the US Freestyle ski team) has told me time and time again that whiplash alone will give you a concussion, it will actaully cut the circulation off to you brain long enough to make you black out.
Old     (air_senio)      Join Date: Nov 2007       09-02-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
thats what happen to me for sure. my friend said that i was totally side ways to the water. i like my bindings so tight that they don't come off on a hard fall, guess what they shot off so fast, but im pretty sure thats what did it was the whipping of my neck on the water. and it was one of those runs that was like just one more and im good.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-02-2009, 11:53 AM Reply   
Oh Man NEVER SAY ONE MORE!!!! That is the kiss of the Devil. Every major injury I have gotten I was Like, Dude I will try one more. Never works out good.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-02-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
Haha! I do it all the time, but me saying "one more time" really means 4 more.
Old     (air_senio)      Join Date: Nov 2007       09-02-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
is'nt that the truth andy. LOL
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-02-2009, 12:18 PM Reply   
I tried my first BS 180 a few years back and....well....let's just put it this way.....I will never try one again!
Old     (air_senio)      Join Date: Nov 2007       09-02-2009, 12:22 PM Reply   
see and thats what i dont want to happen. me being scared to try it again. im not going to let it get the best of me. now its in my head that i need to land that trick now. not saying im going out right away and tryin it, just saying im going to get it.ive tried it many time and landed on my board but just could'nt get the handle. but it is what it is.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-02-2009, 12:29 PM Reply   
Monday's over rotated frontside 180 still has my neck and abs stiff, but the worst fall I have ever had was a TS frontside 180. I went out over the front and it hurt, but I didnt think anything of it until that night, which I spent puking in my bathroom because of my headache. But it got me a few days off work so it wasnt all that bad.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-02-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
arson,

Nobody has gotten more abused than I have on that damn trick. I made a big step forward though last time out. I am able to do inside out bs 180s all day long. Going short rope w2w was 100% different. I would always get in an awkward body psoition due to how I was riding into and leaving the wake.

Last time out I worked on outside in and I felt the same awkward body psoitioning that got me in trouble going w2w. I was able to work through it a few times though at 22 mph and 80ft. I am 100% positive that if I can clean it up and get outside-in working, going w2w will follow.

For me, it is all about how I am weighting the board as I leave the wake. When I do inside out I am 50-50. when I do outsode-in I am 60-40 or 70-30 towards the back foot. that is bad when trying to spin bs.

Try outside in and I think it will work for you. I read a thread earlier this year that said the same thing. I blew it off though... now i am 100% sure it is the key.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-02-2009, 12:35 PM Reply   
On the topic of "tricks that have worked you"...my current "gun shy" trick is the TS BS 180.

Last summer I got a bunch of these under my belt to the point where they were going into my "stock" warm up bag. I was pretty pumped to be making that progress. Early this summer I go back to "knock the dust off the trick" and I get SERVED. Heel back edge with a cuffed position. I was definitely in dream land for most of the day. I have not manned up to try it since and I am pretty annoyed by that little issue.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-02-2009, 12:44 PM Reply   
Uncle Jessie - I'm in your same boat. I've been riding for a long time, but for some reason can't get the body position figured out on this trick. I get yanked over on my feels every single time. It starts to suck so bad that you just stop trying them. I had inside-outs on lock a number of years ago as well and that never translated w2w for me. I tried this year to do some slow speed outside-in's but I am having the same problem. I guess there are some things that just don't click for certain riders and backside spinning is it for me.
Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-02-2009, 12:49 PM Reply   
Ever since someone told me to grab indy on my hs bs 180s and hold it till you hit the water, I rarely fall on this trick. Of course now that I have them down, I don't hold it as long, but it helped me learn the correct body position.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-02-2009, 12:54 PM Reply   
That sucks! Ive never had one back edge catch on a BS 180 (HS/TS/Ollie-ing/Switch)...my problem is overrotating to 270 or underrotating HS BS 3s. That front edge catch (first time from underrotating BS 3, second time from landing, then sliding around on a BS 180) gave me both of my concussions.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-02-2009, 12:55 PM Reply   
I've tried that but the line tension always pulls me over in the air. Maybe I need to get some slack in the rope almost like a spin?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-02-2009, 12:56 PM Reply   
+1 for never call your last one... I always call out 2/3 more, then just quit after one, piece of mind
Old     (air_senio)      Join Date: Nov 2007       09-02-2009, 1:12 PM Reply   
ya im pretty good on all fs 180 heelside and toeside, so im like ok im just going to go for it. my first couple of bs 180 where good attemps, got around landed on the board then this, so im thinking i need to slow my roll, and just go inside out and get it down, cause ive been tryin at 23 or 24 at 75'' foot rope
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-02-2009, 1:39 PM Reply   
M-Dizzle

Dont over think the TS 180 just rage in and bust it!!!!
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-02-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
keep on the look-out for the "delayed whiplash" effect. i ate a faceplant on a raley attempt. about a week later, i started getting really bad headaches and stiff neck muscles. still recovering from that!
Old     (hsryan33)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-02-2009, 4:21 PM Reply   
stuff happens dude, just try it again
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-02-2009, 5:37 PM Reply   
Those heel side edges suck on water, but they hurt way worse on a groomed trail at the mountain. My last run of the day at Mt Hutt last year I had it down (so I thought) hadn't fallen from the top all the way to the bottom about 200 meters away from the lift I was just carving down the last part of the trail picking up a little speed, caught a heel edge and found myself flying through the air backwards. I hate that feeling, no clue when you're gonna hit, no control just waiting to feel the pain... Landed basically on my head and that was me for the day. At least when you catch front side edge you can see when you're gonna hit and protect your face.
Old     (hihowareu)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-02-2009, 5:43 PM Reply   
i did almost the same as you, i was trying a ts fs 180, and i over rotated and i got a concussion, not fun
Old     (air_senio)      Join Date: Nov 2007       09-02-2009, 6:41 PM Reply   
jos

i've done the same thing on a snowboard. caught that back side edge and then all i remember was i was on the snow grabing on my back. my tail bone sweld up so fas and i so did want to run anymore, but i did let that stop me. so you know im not let this stop me. gotta get back on that horse. im just thinking on how long i should wait to get back on the water? what do you gals /guys think?
Old     (air_senio)      Join Date: Nov 2007       09-02-2009, 6:44 PM Reply   
jos

i've done the same thing on a snowboard. caught that back side edge and then all i remember was i was on the snow grabbing on my back. my tail bone swelled up so fast and i so did want to run anymore, but i did let that stop me. so you know im not let this stop me. gotta get back on that horse. im just thinking on how long i should wait to get back on the water? what do you gals /guys think?
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-02-2009, 6:51 PM Reply   
If you got knocked out or concussed probably a week or 2 at least. When I was still playing rugby I had a few concussions, usually didn't play for a week or 2 after that. Did you see a doctor?
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-02-2009, 7:10 PM Reply   
last time I did that on a snowboard I separated a rib.

Serves me right reading WW before riding. on my first BS 180 tonight I landed blind and went to tic'toc, and as I tic'toc'd this thread popped into my head and I dropped the handle
Old     (mikes)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-02-2009, 7:47 PM Reply   
I got owned a few weeks ago on a slide.I have a helmet,but did not have it on. Edged out hard for the powerslide,got lazy,stood tall and let the board get behind me. Boom! As soon as I got the board 90 degrees I caught the heel edge. Did not get knocked out,but hit the water so hard my neck,head,hands and arms went completely numb, tops of my hands turned black and blue,broke my watch. That was 3 weeks ago. It still hurts.
Old     (air_senio)      Join Date: Nov 2007       09-02-2009, 7:47 PM Reply   
doc said at these a week. but am just going to play it safe and wait an extra week. just cause