Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jaws)      Join Date: May 2012       05-31-2013, 5:55 AM Reply   
.I am tossing around the idea of taking the SURF and SERIES decals off my boat and also tinting the front windshield. I was wondering if i do take the stickers off what should i use to take them off? How can i tell if the decals will leave an outline? if it does what type of process will i have to go through to make it match? As far as tinting the front windshield, any recommendations on what kind of tint i should look for and specify when looking for someone to do the job?
Attached Images

Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-31-2013, 5:59 AM Reply   
loose the decals. Almost all boats look better without them in my opinion, but do not tint the shield. You can always put sunglasses on, but on a low light or evening session I always find it annoying.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-31-2013, 6:01 AM Reply   
I have the exact opposite of the above opinion. Leave the decals and tint the windshield.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-31-2013, 6:05 AM Reply   
loose the surf series stickers and go with a 35% tint it will not affect night use and will look great. Your boat is new so you should not have any shadows from sun fade. Use a hair dryer to heat the leading edge of the sticker and slowly peal them off. If there is some goo left behind you can clean it off with some IPA or some goof off. Once clean add a coat of wax and you are good to go
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-31-2013, 6:11 AM Reply   
I could see ditching the big "surf" and "series" decals. The boat looks pretty new so chances are they will come off really easy. I'd just try putting it in the sun, razor blade to one corner and peal. Sticky goo will most likely go with the decal with a little left you can clean up with windex. As to the shadowing thats tough to say until you get it off. Boat looks pretty glossy and not like you have any fading.

We had a 1990 36 foot Carver Cruiser we peeled original decals on 2 years ago. Had it professionally rubbed out and buffed and left a slight shadow. By mid summer that year you would never has know. So if there is slight shadow it will fade out.

Your white and black will look sweet tinted! IMO
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-31-2013, 6:18 AM Reply   
Yes ditch the surf series decals and leave supreme... Go with a moderate tint if you tint
Old     (jaws)      Join Date: May 2012       05-31-2013, 7:06 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. I am thinking more towards removing the surf series decals. One main reason for the tint is to hopefully prevent the dash from getting damaged. i just had it replaced because it was bubbling up by the gauges in the corner. not much night driving with the supreme. We use our pontoon to cruse the lake.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-31-2013, 7:11 AM Reply   
All the concerns about impaired vision at dusk and dark are true if you go darker than 35%. Because you do not have a shaded roof as you would in a vehicle, you will have more light behind the film as you view it from the outside, so 20% on your boat will appear similar in darkness to 35% on a car.
That windshield has a compound curve so it is hard to do in the front corners. Make sure you find someone who is well-initiated on towboats.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (DGREEN)      Join Date: May 2013       05-31-2013, 7:11 AM Reply   
Peel em ALL and tint er dark!
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-31-2013, 7:13 AM Reply   
I'd leave the surf series and ditch the supreme
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-31-2013, 8:56 AM Reply   
I vote for lose the surf and keep the Supreme. I'd also lose the v226
Old    kx250frider617            05-31-2013, 10:58 AM Reply   
I would remove ALL, They are really just Paid Advertisement by YOU. I didn't even notice the "series" sticker, That should be the first to go. If it were me, I would tint the windshield. If you never boat at night then no problem.
Old     (dhill)      Join Date: Aug 2010       05-31-2013, 11:34 AM Reply   
i've seen your boat and think it looks great as is. my vote, if changing anything would be to lose the surf and a very, very light tint.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-31-2013, 11:53 AM Reply   
peel em!
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-01-2013, 8:27 AM Reply   
If you do peel the stickers, use a heat gun for sure. Get them pretty warm and all the adhesive will come off with the vinyl. If there is some adhesive left, use denatured alcohol (usually available at any hardware store, Home Depot, or the like) and it will come right off. WD-40 works good also. As for the windshield, definitely have them pull the glass off the boat, just be careful with it. When I had my windshield tinted, I pulled all three sections off the boat, then took them apart at the tint shop so I could leave the glass in the frame while transporting. Plus it will be easier for the person tinting the glass and there will be no seams in the tint. Also, it's a great time to paint or powder coat the windshield frame black, if that's something you would be interested in. Hope this helps. Post up some pics once you're done.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       06-01-2013, 8:52 AM Reply   
I say tint the windows definitely. Changes the look of the whole boat. I went 5% on my windshield after a few weeks of contemplating what % to go and what would be too dark. I will tell you I'm glad I went 5 and not a bit lighter.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-01-2013, 9:00 AM Reply   
Loose both the surf and supreme.. Then have a smaller radical "supreme" graphic made to fit where the surf was... seems to be the going trend..
Old     (BlazeSr)      Join Date: Dec 2012       06-01-2013, 10:15 PM Reply   
Loose supreme
30% tint
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-01-2013, 11:56 PM Reply   
Loose the decals, and tint the windshield. Either way, great looking boat!