Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-24-2008, 11:10 AM Reply   
the events of the weekend regarding Andrea got me thinkin

I will be 44 this summer, self-employed, and have a huge deductible on my medical insurance

with all of that being said

I, like most, have bit it hard working on 3's and even wake to wakes.....years ago

I would really like to be able to do a backroll or some sort of invert

doing the P90X workout has gotten me physically ready
and working on switch riding has helped me climb the trick evolution ladder

Sasser Wakeboard school at Texas Mastercraft has helped improve my riding dramatically.....but

I really feal that clock tickin.....feel like I need to get it done this season!

Andrea's story makes me wonder if new tricks are better left to you young guys (and gals)

I do know that one day this summer, I will have high energy, smooth water, and no other boats around ......and I will put on my helmet of courage and go for it

fear is a nasty thing!

pay no attention
just ramblin!
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-24-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
Sounds like you have prepared yourself the proper way to take on these new tricks.
I think being in good shape and having good fundamentals can prevent a lot of injuries... So I say go for it bro!
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-24-2008, 11:29 AM Reply   
Cliff - I am turning 55 this summer and feel that there is so much to learn. I do not like falling, but go out have fun and stretch before each ride... I am going to work on new tricks starting this weekend...I think as you get older, you get wiser and tell yourself, this is going to hurt... usually doesn't but scary trying something new. this will be my first time on the water in 08. Good luck. Aloha Joe.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-24-2008, 11:41 AM Reply   
I say shread the GNAR CLIFF! You are never to old to progress!
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-24-2008, 12:11 PM Reply   
backrolls are safer than tantrums. They may both be equally easy of tricks to learn but I have seen more than 3 knees blow on tantrums or tantrum based tricks.

Also to touch on what joe is saying about becoming wiser. The part of the brain that controls fear doesn't get FULLY developed until around 25 years old.
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-24-2008, 12:18 PM Reply   
thats how i feel about this one trick i want to take out into the flats, basically the opposite of a Japan Air but with a tail grab instead, i can see it going awesomely wrong
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-24-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
Even when its fully developed, we don't usually listen to it.

don't plant the seed of doubt just yet. you have more strength, more instruction and more confidence (i would assume) than ever. besides, you need to take a couple dingers before you start talking like that!

Andrea mentioned she wasn't feeling it that day. wait on newer tricks till you feel 100%.

BTW you workin any drills for that 3?
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-24-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
We usually are pretty hard on my boat lol. Sometimes we push people into things they might not be 100% ready for but thats how u progress. My friends do the same thing to me. Our famous quote just throw it whats the worst thats going to happen its just water anyways lol.
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-24-2008, 1:50 PM Reply   
Clif- hangin with Tony Horton huh? I have been doing it for a while and love it, recently turned my parents on to it. How long have you been doing it?
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-24-2008, 1:51 PM Reply   
sometimes it takes a little push from the boat to try something new but for the most part i try to be working on at least 4-5 things at any one given point in time. That way if i'm not feelin something one day i can go to something else, that keeps the progression constant for me.

i really think things thru when it comes to learning something new. i visualize how i want it to look and feel. i usually do this for a good period of time before i'll actually attempt something. for me thats the piece of mind i need to feel confident ab trying something new.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-24-2008, 3:13 PM Reply   
Whatever you try, and whenever you try it, commit.

Half-assing a trick because its the first time trying is usually bad news...

again, just commit completely whenever you're ready
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-24-2008, 3:47 PM Reply   
thanks guys
good advice
I know that I have to pay my dues......

Matt, today was day 1 of week 9 of P90X
I love it!

Nick, that is sound advice
I will go b*lls up!

I have a trampoline and a tramp board
I've practiced spins but not flips
I was told that the rotation for a backflip simulated on a trampoline is a strange rotation

kinda want to see it first

the difficult thing for me is...I go out with the family....and I can throw the most stuff
......eventually, my oldest daughter will be miles ahead of me......that might even be at the end of this season
she learns so fast!

it does help when I watch Dustin Swafford or Brian ride.....they are so relaxed
brings a new perspective and determination to my riding, but I don't get the luxury to watch those guys very often
Old     (pvsawyer)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-24-2008, 5:34 PM Reply   
I think wakeboarders can progress at any age. Of course, Cliff, your body may not be as resilient as a teenagers, but I think as long as you take good care of your body you can work your way up to advanced tricks. The best way to prevent injury, whether you are fourteen or forty-four is to be in good shape and supplement your wakeboarding with a good exercise program that works on balance, stabilization, endurance, and strength. I'm not familiar with the P90XI workout program- it may already target these areas. Another important way to prevent injury is to try things within your skill level. For example, when working on w2w 360's it may be a good idea to have surface and ollie 3's down first. I personally believe inverts are easier than spins so perhaps you should try a roll first. You should be familiar and comfortable with an invert on the tramp first before trying it behind the boat. It's not exactly the same, but it will at least give you the kinesthetic awareness you need to achieve the trick behind the boat.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-24-2008, 5:43 PM Reply   
It maybe worth paying for a lesson or two and getting that sort of help
Old     (pete_moss)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-24-2008, 6:03 PM Reply   
P90X is an incredible program. It's one of the only in-home workouts I support. If anybody ever needs to hear the benefits of being in shape let me know. The reasons are endless. Good luck with your program Cliff and remember that diet is extremely important if you're really looking to excell.
Old     (blind)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-24-2008, 7:09 PM Reply   
hey cliff, have you ever seen skippy(swafford)get out of his bindings in a hurry?
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-24-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
no Shane I haven't
pretty funny stuff?
Old     (blind)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-24-2008, 8:41 PM Reply   
ask him to jump out them sometime, it's amazing!